Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a relationship pretty serious if a guy takes you out to eat with his family?

Is a relationship pretty serious if a guy takes you out to eat with his family?

How serious is a relationship when your boyfriend wants you to meet their family after six months of dating?

It’s been weird because his ex told me they’ve had sex since we started dating and that he has said negative things to her about me in the past.

Yet I met his family last week.

Is this the real deal?

Platinum Member
    It really depends.

For some men, yes it does mean he is serious.
    For other men, they are not sure about you and want to know what their family thinks.
    For other men, they are lazy. They can't say no if mom and dad want to go out on your normal date night, or its more convenient for him if you all show up at once.
    For other men, they cannot/refuse to do anything without all of their family and the first few dates alone with you were atypical

If he invites you to have dinner with his family on the second date, he probably has poor boundaries.

It was after six months of dating. I know he still answers his exes phone calls and in the past she has sent me messages about the negative things he told her about me.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Igor1
    It was after six months of dating. I know he still answers his exes phone calls and in the past she has sent me messages about the negative things he told her about me.
    If he still talks to his ex and they don't have children together, then dinner with the parents does not mean he is serious because if he was, he would not be entertaining his ex and allowing her to contact you. Unless you knew the ex somehow independently of him through work or something, she should not have your contact info and he shared too much info about you so that she could figure out how to find you. to me, even if he popped the question, he isn't serious about you. Sorry. Meeting the parents might be a step, but its only superficial

He says he only answers the exes phone calls. He says he doesn’t reach out to her.

He doesn’t reach out to her but he won’t block her from talking to him. She messaged me on Facebook. He says he keep In contact because she is crazy.

I met all his friends and family and we spend the night often. I also saw messages of him telling his ex that he only checks her Snapchat stories to make her think that he still cares about her.

Platinum Member
    He doesn’t reach out to her but he won’t block her from talking to him. She messaged me on Facebook. He says he keep In contact because she is crazy.

I met all his friends and family and we spend the night often. I also saw messages of him telling his ex that he only checks her Snapchat stories to make her think that he still cares about her.
    I am sorry, but you are being played. He "keeps in contact because she is crazy" - all the reason to BLOCK her. Spending the night means zilch. It means you are satisfying his want for sex - it does not mean he is committed. Don't be fooled. And she should NOT be contacting you.

Really? He told her to not contact him for like six months so they could heal but we have gotten really close since he said that. He still answers her calls though.

10. 03-08-2018, 05:29 AM

This is a red flag. Are you exclusive? Dating casually? People do hang out with fwb family get togethers, etc. This doesn't sound like an 'ex', it sounds like someone else he's still hanging out with.
    he still answers his exes phone calls and in the past she has sent me messages about the negative things he told her about me.

Exclusive. We went to dinner with the family. They do not hang out and he seems annoyed by her calls. He will still talk to her for hours though. She has sent him texts like “you showed her to your family, you must really start to love her” and he says “if that means love then sure, whatever you’re torturing your mind”

“She also said that you don’t want us to work in the future anymore do you” and he said “literally that is the opposite of my main point”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice