Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Thinking about letting my hair go grey

  1. #1
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8,543

    Thinking about letting my hair go grey

    I am a middle-aged woman. For years I have been dying the roots of my hair to keep them the same color as my natural hair color, which is pretty much jet black. Since my hair grows quickly, I have visible grey roots in less than a week. Which, in order to keep it looking decent and not so obvious, means I have to dye my roots every two weeks.

    First of all, this is a pain in the butt. It adds an extra 45 minutes to my getting ready routine. It also gets a bit expensive...since I use store bought box dye it only costs about $7 a box, but that's $14 per month-ish. And I have a hormonal condition that causes my hair to fall out a lot more than average, so I worry that excessive dying will cause my hair to fall out even faster. I won't go to a salon since that would be even more expensive...one of my friends pays $125 a session! I know there are less expensive salons but again, that's a lot of money.

    So, I'm thinking about just letting nature take its course and allowing my hair to go grey. Currently I have about 1/3" of an inch of grey roots showing. Normally I'd be dying my hair today (even have a box of dye in my bathroom), but frankly, I'm getting tired of all the effort it takes to do this.

    I do realize that allowing my hair to go grey will most likely affect my dating options. I'm not currently dating but am hoping to start. My face and figure look early to mid 40s (according to both friends and strangers), but the grey hair could possibly take me out of the running with a lot of men who prefer a woman who at least LOOKS younger than she is.

    I'm not trying to date younger. I prefer men in the late 40s to late 50s age range, but I wonder how many of them would be willing to date a woman who looks middle-aged rather than an early 40s-ish looking woman.

    Honestly, though, I'm leaning toward just letting it go. I'd actually like to have the entire thing be grey but I'm afraid of the effects that the chemicals would have on the rest of my hair (it would require my natural color to be stripped and the grey color to be added). I don't want the rest falling out lol!

    Has anyone done this? If so, how did you feel about it? And men, would grey hair affect your attraction to a woman if she is otherwise in good shape and takes care of her face and figure?

    Thanks for any help and suggestions.

  2. #2
    Platinum Member mustlovedogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,101
    Grey is actually super stylish. You can color it with violet undertones or silver color and then be on a regular coloring schedule since your roots won’t be so noticeable. [Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] [Register to see the link]

  3. #3
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8,543
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    Grey is actually super stylish. You can color it with violet undertones or silver color and then be on a regular coloring schedule since your roots won’t be so noticeable. [Register to see the link] [Register to see the link] [Register to see the link]
    That looks expensive. Do you know approximately how much something like that would cost? And how frequently would it need to be redone since my natural color is jet black?

    Currently I'm hesitating even doing my roots due to cost and maintenance, so I'm looking to do less.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,286
    Gender
    Female
    They sell this stuff called hair mascara, it's literally like a tube of mascara, to cover grey roots.
    No dye, it washes out of course, but it doesn't do any damage.

  5.  

  6. #5
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8,543
    Originally Posted by SweetGirl28
    They sell this stuff called hair mascara, it's literally like a tube of mascara, to cover grey roots.
    No dye, it washes out of course, but it doesn't do any damage.
    Yeah, I have some of that.

    So you think going grey would be a bad idea? If so, may I ask why that is?

  7. #6
    Platinum Member mustlovedogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,101
    You could do like a grey to black ombré to allow it to grow out and use the hair mascara until it’s long enough to really ombré.

    I really like Arctic Fox hair color. They have silver you can use over the top of your hair and then add in some colorful pastels. Their hair dye is generally inexpensive, vegan, cruelty free, and non damaging. It’ll let you still be super trendy without all the work you’re putting in now. Kim Kardashian just went grey!

    [Register to see the link] [Register to see the link]

  8. #7
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8,543
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    You could do like a grey to black ombré to allow it to grow out and use the hair mascara until it’s long enough to really ombré.

    I really like Arctic Fox hair color. They have silver you can use over the top of your hair and then add in some colorful pastels. Their hair dye is generally inexpensive, vegan, cruelty free, and non damaging. It’ll let you still be super trendy without all the work you’re putting in now. Kim Kardashian just went grey!

    [Register to see the link] [Register to see the link]
    This note is on their website:
    "*PLEASE NOTE:
    Your hair must be a very light blonde (a level 10 and above, see chart below) to achieve the Sterling silver color. Applying Sterling to a darker shade will not produce an accurate Sterling shade."


    I do like the grey color they have but I wonder what color I'd actually get since my hair is naturally jet black.

    Any cosmetologists out there that have ideas?

  9. #8
    Platinum Member mustlovedogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,101
    You keep saying naturally jet black but if your roots are grey then your color is grey is it not?

  10. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,286
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Yeah, I have some of that.

    So you think going grey would be a bad idea? If so, may I ask why that is?
    Not at all, it's just that you voiced concern over dating in the future, and what men may think, and that you don't want to keep dying your roots. I love silver/grey hair, I'm very attracted to older men with it lol. It looks distinguished to me. And that's on women as well. What I don't like(and I'm guilty of it) is letting roots grow when there's drastic color difference. I have naturally dark brown hair, with lots of blonde highlights, and when my dark roots show, it annoys me. But highlighting really can stress hair do I don't keep up with it like I should. Sometimes I think just to go all dark again, but I like the blonde highlights because it brightens my skin tone and my eyes, and my dark circles aren't as noticeable. It's hard being female lol :)

  11. #10
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8,543
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    You keep saying naturally jet black but if your roots are grey then your color is grey is it not?
    The roots are not 100% grey. Some grow in grey, some grow in black.

    I wish it was all grey, that would make this much easier!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •