“Friend” put dog in danger

solong123

I am just really struggling with this situation right now..will try to keep it short. On wednesday I came home from work to find my dog very lethargic and twitching and it was terrifying and she could not walk just would fall over. I took her to the pet er where they basically said it was probably a stroke or tumor. I texted my roommate who had been home to see if it was possible she got into anything because obviously I was not trying to believe the worst. After a few HOURS she finally responds all casually tyat my dog must have gotten into and her other friends pot edibles stash. They saw nothing wrong with that and just left my dog at there and told me NOTHING as I spent half the night freaking out thinking my dog is going to die. Long story short I booted her out and it was awful, lots of her screaming and blaming my dog and yadayada. I guess I just needed to vent because days later I am still sick to my stomach thinking about this and her disregard to my pet and her lack of respect. Thankfully my dog has made a full recovery but I lived a nightmare those past few days.

I've got a feeling your roommate probably thought it was funny feeding pot to your dog. You were right for kicking her out instantly! Too bad the vet didn't recognize the poisoning. I don't know what's up with medical training these days. It seems like most of the doctors are impostors. We lost our dog because in all the times we were at the vet's for shots and medications, the doc never felt our little guy's belly. When we went to an animal hospital for an ear infection, an intern -- an intern discovered a cancerous mass and an operation discovered it was throughout his entire abdomen. We had to euthanize him on the operating table. I personally had to go to five doctors before I found one who could help me with a sodium deficiency. (The solution was to have a protein shake a day.) I lost nearly a year of my life feeling out of it because none of the other doctors had ever heard of my problem before.

Your dog ate your roommates pot and got sick. That’s unfortunate but it’s as much your fault as your roommates. Your dog ate something that was bad for it when you weren’t around. It’s not your roommates job to keep your dog out of her stuff. I would be upset if I got kicked out of a house because someone else’s pet ate my stuff and got sick. Your dog your responsibility. And your roommate not being upset? It’s your dog! She didn’t sign a contract to take care of your pet... she’s just a roommate.

Your dog ate your roommates pot and got sick. That’s unfortunate but it’s as much your fault as your roommates. Your dog ate something that was bad for it when you weren’t around. It’s not your roommates job to keep your dog out of her stuff. I would be upset if I got kicked out of a house because someone else’s pet ate my stuff and got sick. Your dog your responsibility. And your roommate not being upset? It’s your dog! She didn’t sign a contract to take care of your pet... she’s just a roommate.

I disagree with this. No, the roommate doesn’t need to take CARE of the dog, but the roommate does have to be responsible enough not to have things out the dog could get in to.

But regardless of your opinion on that, the roommate withheld critical medical information. That’s irresponsible. No, roommate doesn’t HAVE to disclose anything, but I would hope any halfway decent person would.

But too know your friend uses drugs around her baby where her baby could get to it if she is crawling or walking. So if she is that kind of parent why would she be any different with a dog? I think next time if there is stuff around that could hurt your dog make the rules clear about where it is stored so that he can’t get into it.

Once I decided to have pets, I got apartments that I could afford on my own. Pets are family. If you want to raise a family, you need to do what it takes to provide for that family on your own. You cannot risk the safety of your loved ones by exposing them to people who don't value them in the same way that you do. You were extremely naive and your dog suffered for it.

If you can't fully support a household for yourself, you can't bring others into it. You should be angry with yourself for the lack of respect that you showed your dog.

I am really sorry that this happened to you and that you didn't know. I have never really had roommates but I see that it's typical to request someone who is "drug free" and of course who likes pets or is ok with pets when looking around. Obviously people also find roommates more informally/casually but I'd bring up those topics from the get go to make sure you're all on the same page. I also wonder how you deal with things like making sure the dog doesn't eat chocolate left around by a roommate etc (no experience with this just know about dogs and chocolate).

Again this sounds so traumatic and shocking. I am so glad she is out and that your dog is ok.

She purposely avoided telling you.

Whether the dog got into it accidentally, or she thought it would be fun, once she saw the dog was in distress, she should have told you.

We can blame other people all we want, but what you want in a roommate is someone you can trust. If your roommate steals your stuff while you're out, we can say all we want that it's "your fault" because you should be living alone. Sometimes, people can't afford to live on their own, so they find a roommate they can trust. I've lived with plenty of people in my past, and never had to worry about a thing while I was gone.

She took the chickens*t way out. I'd be done with her as a roommate, and as a friend.

Archived