My last Valentine's day in my 30's, almost had a date.

iwishiknew

Happy Valentine's day to all and this is my last Valentine's day in my 30's and I almost had a date.

Last few days i have been chatting with this girl from a forum. She lives about an hr from me. We have a lot in common, and have the same interests. She's like a twin of me. We both like Italian foods and I asked her if she wants to go out on Valentine's day and she said sure I'd love to.

Last night we exchanged pics and she was average/cute but after a few mins she didn't respond back then she blocked me. I didn't think she would turn me down because of my looks because we shared a lot in common. I was so close in getting my first date. That sucks looks are so important to a lot of girls. Even though i have confidence and share a lot interests with a lot girls, i can't win because im unattractive.

Its an awful lot of pressure to ask someone out for the first time on V Day rather than getting coffee to get to know someone since you are talking online. Do you look a lot older than your age where she thinks you are inapprorpriately older? Who knows. I think from your various posts you have decided that you are undateable and you are quite settled on it. so just keep moving forward and join more groups where you can meet people -- that aren't focused on looks or fitness.

Do you have a friend that takes GOOD pictures or can talk to a pro about it? Some people don't take good pictures of themselves.

I agree, Valentine's day for a first date was probably too much pressure.

But for the other issue:

If you don't think you look good, do something about it. There's so many people who don't reach their full potential look-wise (I used to be one of them too).

Doing sports may have the advantages of getting out and getting to know people and increasing self-esteem. And you ask someone who you think has a good style (no matter their gender) to give you styling tips or go shopping with them. Even if you think you found your style, you might be trying something new that looks even better on you. And your helper will probably be flattered that you asked them.

And for pictures - yes try to have good, high quality ones. And don't exchange any with sunglasses/hats/no smile. Also avoid selfie-poses, or pictures in the gym, hunting/fishing etc. Here you might also ask a friend for honest feedback.

I agree, Valentine's day for a first date was probably too much pressure.

But for the other issue:

If you don't think you look good, do something about it. There's so many people who don't reach their full potential look-wise (I used to be one of them too).

Doing sports may have the advantages of getting out and getting to know people and increasing self-esteem. And you ask someone who you think has a good style (no matter their gender) to give you styling tips or go shopping with them. Even if you think you found your style, you might be trying something new that looks even better on you. And your helper will probably be flattered that you asked them.

And for pictures - yes try to have good, high quality ones. And don't exchange any with sunglasses/hats/no smile. Also avoid selfie-poses, or pictures in the gym, hunting/fishing etc. Here you might also ask a friend for honest feedback.

From what i understand he has a genetic condition that makes him shorter than average and he feels that is his total problem and that's why he won't find anyone.

Oh I see, didn't read any previous posts. Well, I guess most females go for a taller counterpart, but there's certainly some ladies who don't bother too about physical height. But I think being upfront about such things - and being confident about it - might certainly help avoiding weird reactions (and I say that as a 5'11 woman).

Also, if height bothers you, I've recently seen something about some shoe inserts that can make you about 2 inches taller or so. Women wear push-up bras, fake nails etc., so why not try something like this if it might make you feel better.

Yes, if i can change my looks i would but being born with mhe, not much i can do with my facial structure.

I've taken all types of photos showing me, running, working out, outside and wearing all different types of clothes and different poses. Just photos you'd see on anyone's face book.

Even my friend took some pics thinking I'd get some responses but none at all. It's very hard for me to attract girls. I'm only 5'2 and if i used 2 inch height inserts I will be only 5'4 not much of a difference and still short.

The general manager at my work is my height (5'2 1/2"). He has a wife and children and supervises people who tower over him. He hasn't let his lack of physical height obstruct him from a successful career and personal life.

I don't know if there's any way to convince you that you're just as worthy of dating as anyone else. But I'd like for you to believe that because it's true.

I am sorry that happened to you.

Your right match will not care about looks. Have faith.

If any of your attractiveness qualities are within your potential control, and if you have an interest, work on those.

As to being vertically challenged (what I call it for myself), you can't change it, so you may as well make it work for you. There are a ton of advantages to being shorter than average -- jockeys (as in, horse racing) require it. Being able to fit in small spaces, being able to achieve muscular definition faster, making a stealthy entrance, having a low center of gravity for balance in sports, having that scary face like, "Yeah, i'm short, what of it." You can be a wild card, a hard body, a ringer -- someone who is tougher than he looks, or look tough and be sweeter than you look.

Bottom line, yes, height matters in dating just like looks do. People who are born with and further enhance their good looks never get the chance to find out how valued they are no matter what they look like. People without natural attractiveness know what it means to compete on pure merit, and that can become a real advantage in life.

You can't change it, so flip it into a strength. Kevin Hart makes it a central part of his schtick. Kevin Bacon was deemed to have such an unattractive face that they gave him a choppy haircut to balance it out -- and he went on to have a real career on the big screen. Make your height part of your schtick like Kevin Hart. Call it out. Make your looks part of your schtick too, if appropriate. If you are comfortable with it, and if you say out loud whatever they may be thinking, it makes them comfortable and you become even more attractive. Others will take their cue from you: "I am short on height but long on charm!" Call it out, have fun with it.

Give people a chance not to take your looks so seriously, and your personality will take center stage.

Archived