Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Accountability partners for getting things done

Rich Humphries

This is a bit odd I’m sure, but since my breakup from a 9 yr relationship I’ve found it hard to get things done and get motivation. It’s been just over 3 months and I find my health, fitness, diet, exercise, work, decisions, social life and general day to day tasks etc have suffered. I was thinking, I should set myself 3 goals a day, even if they are tiny goals like get hair cut, do 5,000 steps etc to start with but then build up, and evolve as I do. I figured it would help to have accountability partners who support and check in on each other. Anyone else fancy this or is this a bit nuts haha. You could share your goals too or even just be a support for me and others, whatever floats everyone’s boat :). Anyone in or got a thought on this? Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I’m relatively new to this site (2 days :)). Obviously your goals can be anything you want, as long as it helps you or others. I was thinking I’d set 3 goals a day and report progress st the end of the day.....anyone in?

I'm not in this time around but just dropping by to mention I find it a great idea. Where was this a year ago haha.

I did something similar myself after a stint with depression, except without an accountability buddy but that would probably have made it even easier.

In case it helps, I also started with three items a day. In my case they were "non-negotiables", things that had priority if I wanted my full ability to function back. So not haircuts (although do get one if you feel like it of course), but related to physical health, mental health, and finances.

I'd start by making the "basics" you've been neglecting a habit, if there are any you've been slacking on.

It helps to then "link activities", piggy back them on one another, so that your daily basics soon go up from 3 to 6 and so on. Pretty soon you're feeling like you have things together without overwhelming yourself in the process.

For the things I was reallly averse to tackling, I started by telling myself I only need to spend 5 minutes on them. Once you start, you usually figure you may as well get the whole thing done.

Timers and working 25 minutes, pausing for five, then spending another 25 on the next task helped me.

Anyway, great getting yourself back on the horse and best of luck!!

Great idea and this forum probably would not be the right one because of the high risk of lack of consistency -and that defeats the purpose. I like what the other poster suggested, a lot. I think there are great apps which will fill that role. I did that with someone when I had to get my driver's license and she had to get a different kind of license -we kind of egged each other on- was fun! on the other hand my neighbor approached me to ask me to be a power walk buddy since she saw me doing that daily to motivate her and I had to say no because I don't have the time to meet up or schedule and I had no flexibility to change my timing, none at all. I felt badly saying no but I also know my situation is all too typical with juggling tasks/responsibilties.

Anyway I'd look for an app first and then find someone in real life to increase the consistency. Good luck!!!

I'm not in this time around but just dropping by to mention I find it a great idea. Where was this a year ago haha.

I did something similar myself after a stint with depression, except without an accountability buddy but that would probably have made it even easier.

In case it helps, I also started with three items a day. In my case they were "non-negotiables", things that had priority if I wanted my full ability to function back. So not haircuts (although do get one if you feel like it of course), but related to physical health, mental health, and finances.

I'd start by making the "basics" you've been neglecting a habit, if there are any you've been slacking on.

It helps to then "link activities", piggy back them on one another, so that your daily basics soon go up from 3 to 6 and so on. Pretty soon you're feeling like you have things together without overwhelming yourself in the process.

For the things I was reallly averse to tackling, I started by telling myself I only need to spend 5 minutes on them. Once you start, you usually figure you may as well get the whole thing done.

Timers and working 25 minutes, pausing for five, then spending another 25 on the next task helped me.

Anyway, great getting yourself back on the horse and best of luck!!

Brilliant!!! Thanks, seriously good ideas 💡

Great idea and this forum probably would not be the right one because of the high risk of lack of consistency -and that defeats the purpose. I like what the other poster suggested, a lot. I think there are great apps which will fill that role. I did that with someone when I had to get my driver's license and she had to get a different kind of license -we kind of egged each other on- was fun! on the other hand my neighbor approached me to ask me to be a power walk buddy since she saw me doing that daily to motivate her and I had to say no because I don't have the time to meet up or schedule and I had no flexibility to change my timing, none at all. I felt badly saying no but I also know my situation is all too typical with juggling tasks/responsibilties.

Anyway I'd look for an app first and then find someone in real life to increase the consistency. Good luck!!!

Really helpful, I’ll do a search for an app

I think it's a good idea. I think you could start a thread in the Personal Growth forum (don't know the exact full name) and ask for people to chime in on their daily success of their individual goals. I would join in! I'm a very self-disciplined athlete/runner but I LOVE having accountability friends/groups. I'm in one on Facebook w/a few members of my running club and it really makes me stick to the extra challenges we set (push-ups, planks, lunges, etc.) outside of running. I am also in a healthy-eating FB group.

I've seen a couple of fitness threads here, and people participated for quite some time. I think you could truly start a personal-goal type of thread, and ask for daily accountability posts.

Thanks for posting, I definitely want to join if you do this!

Archived