Should I listen to other people when they say don't direct my first feature film?

ironpony

Basically I am trying to break into the movie directing business and started working on other people's movies, usually as either an editor or a production sound mixer, and made a couple of short films of my own, along with a 3rd and hopefully 4th on the way.

After that I was going to direct my first feature film but everyone is discouraging me out of it, saying that I am crazy for risking so much money on it, when I haven't hardly had any experience working on professional studio industry or sets, since I have not lived in L.A., Vancouver, etc.

But people are really telling me it's a bad idea and that I need to learn to crawl before I can run. One person is actually begging me not to, and I feel that it's really me against the world, and it's very discouraging. I talked about it before in this previous thread:

https://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526498

Back now I feel that everyone is trying to stop me cause they care, but not sure if I should listen or not. One said that I am not following my dreams, but rather, following my delusions and another one also said I am delusional. But what do you think?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know nothing about the movie industry but I do know about taking a chance when I want to do something out of the ordinary and bigger than me. I advocate for going for it, based on your own research and odds of success and how you will feel if you fail and what you would do if you did fail. Also, listening to others may make you not take the chance and how would you feel if you let them persuade you to not go for your goal? How much would you kick yourself later if you didnt take a chance?

Well I didn't take it cause I was told by other people not to. Basically the director said he would allow me to direct one sequence of the movie, if I gave him, I think it was $60,000 of my budget, to his movie and he would allow me to direct one sequence, for the experience. But I felt it was a rip off, and my money would probably be put to better use if I used it on my own projects that I could control more, and people told me it was a rip off and not to take it. The director said that my co-director credit would me more prowess in L.A. compared to if I didn't take the opportunity.

But I didn't want to take that risk, cause I don't know that person, and how do I know that it wouldn't have been a rip off or not. One guy I asked who had more experience than me said that a co-director credit doesn't mean crap a lot of the time, and it's not worth $60,000.

I am glad that you didn't take that big of a risk. Putting that much money into someone else's hands is rarely wise.

You have ASD, or you believe you do, right? I remember a thread from a while ago on this topic

People with ASD can be very good at what they do when they are passionate about something. What do these people think about your work? Do people usually encourage you vehemently to continue it?

On the other hand, people with ASD often aren't the best at things like long-term project coordination, organisation, networking with the kinds of people who will help them get ahead, self-representation, recognising where they have gone wrong and could improve without the direct input of others...

I think those are things you should consider

Why do you think people are discouraging you? Do they have good reasons?

Is this project of yours going to make or break you?

I would say the project would make or break me, which got me worried but I was told by other directors that that's normal and everyone's first feature is going to make or break them most likely.

As for why others are discouraging me, they are worried it will be a mistake and all be crap and are just trying to help of course, and that makes me worried that maybe I am making a mistake.

Not sure really. It's hard to consider options. Just go do something else for a living maybe, in another field of filmmaking such as an editor or production sound mixer, since I have done that for other people more so. But I feel it's normal for filmmakers to throw everything into the pot, cause even when you listen to real life successful directors, they all say how they gambled their savings on their first feature, and it seems quite common actually.

Not sure really. It's hard to consider options. Just go do something else for a living maybe, in another field of filmmaking such as an editor or production sound mixer, since I have done that for other people more so. But I feel it's normal for filmmakers to throw everything into the pot, cause even when you listen to real life successful directors, they all say how they gambled their savings on their first feature, and it seems quite common actually.

Yeah but are you a 'normal person' or do you have impairments which make certain aspects of life harder for you than it would be for them? If it's hard for them, could it possibly be even more difficult and risky for you?

I could invest 20 K, it's just the cheaper the movie, the more cheaper it will come across and hardly anyone makes a feature for 20K, successfully. I suppose more experience would give a higher chance of success, but I've failed to find a lot of experience. I've been on sets before over the years, but not the best ones to learn from per say. I've made two of my own short films, but I made them as cheap as possible, and the quality suffered. So not sure how I would do if I forked more money over for better quality, but I hope I would do better.

What about a short?

I'm sure you know the story about the guy who produced and directed a short (I think it's something like 5 minutes) that got picked up by a major film director and turned into a hit horror film starring Jessica Chastain. I think the original short cost the director something like $10K US. Plus, shorts are Academy Award eligible.

How can you direct if you have anxiety about talking to people? You do know that you have to have actors, other technical professionals, etc, to make a movie? your idea was to get into film editing etc. Have you actually done that successfully? If you haven't gotten a job and held it as a film editor or some other role to gain experience with actually filming, i am sorry, but you are just some kid fooling with their camcorder. you can use your camera and make something and put it on youtube for cheap. But as far as an actual feature film that is in the theaters -- if you cannot talk to anyone - you could be a screen writer - but it would have to be brilliant and get in front of the right person (but can you take criticism?). The film industry really isn't for people who can't deal with other people unless you can film everything yourself, and start in it yourself. And then you are going to have to have someone see it who likes it and will back it.

I agree - start with a short subject. If you can handle that, go bigger. But if you have this plan to make a movie and haven't taken the first step, its like me saying i am going to be a stand up comedian and never write down ideas for material or actually go to open mike nights and just expect it to happen

Well I've directed a couple of shorts of my own with two more on the way right now. But every director I know spends money on their first feature and it seems normal. As for directing an episode of a series, I could apply for a job like that, but I think they pick their own directors and don't usually look at applications from people they don't know. I could apply, but if I don't get any, should that stop me from making the feature?

• 8 months later...

Well I'm finally free from helping other people on their movie projects, and now close to getting the feature film going but I am really scared, this may be some huge mistake, and it's really eating me up and I've lost lots of sleep over it for the past few weeks, and sweating all the time like crazy. But if I don't do it, then I regret that too. How do other people deal with making huge go big or go home decisions, like this?

Archived