Is my 28 years old long-distance boyfriend trusthworthy?

rubi2092

I am very sorry for the long post but I can really use some advices. Thank you very much for your help.

Our history:

My boyfriend and I had been together for almost 2 years. I met him at my college's new student orientation, and right away, I had the biggest crush on him. However, at the time, he was in a relationship so I did not pursuit him. I befriended him and he studied together with me and my classmates. We were friend for a year, and during that time, he had broken up and gotten back with his now exgirlfriend for at least 4 times. When they finally broke up with her the last time, I had hope that I could ask him out, but he then told me that he had feeling for another girl and he asked me to help set them up together. I was sad but I did it for him because I wanted him to be happy. Thing didn't go well for him and the other girl, and he was upset, so we went hiking together. A week after the hike, I drove him home after our study session, and he confessed to me that he had feeling for me. A day later, we decided to be boyfriend and girlfriend. A week later, he told me he loved me.

My concerns:

The first few months we were together, I had to constantly put up with him missing his exgirlfriend. To me, it was normal, because they had been together for about 5 years. I understood that it would take at least a year for him to get over her. But that is still my first concern about our relationship.

Second and biggest concern is about his past broke-up with his ex. Many of the broke-up period was due to him sexting another girl or making out with girls he met at parties. He was very honest to me about his wrongdoing. The sexting was an on and off thing for 5 years as well. I told him that it was the past and as long as he didn't do it again, I would be willing to look past it. Well, the first summer that we were together, I got an internship that was 2 hours away from where he was, so I was able to drive back to see him every 2 weeks. The first time I came back to see him, we drank and he got drunk, he then confessed to me that he started texting the girl he sexted before. He just texted her to say hello and nothing more had happened. I got really upset with him and started to cry, and he felt guilty about it. He said he would never let it get that far and he would have just stopped if she started acting weird, but to me that was not good enough. He deleted her phone number and ripped off her phone number from the phone book as well. I let him pass that time because nothing happened. I had access to his facebook because he used my computer. Since he got rid of her number, he had been actively seeking her facebook account. I wanted to confront him but I felt I was wrong for looking at his facebook history. Now we are doing long distance relationship because of our job, he is looking for her facebook account everyday, 10-20 times a day. I am really concerned that he is going to sext with her again. I want to trust him and his words but I can't shake that fear. Please give me some advices on this matter. Thank you very much.

Honestly -- I wouldn't continue with him.

Rebound or not, you were the fallback girl - he was interested in another girl and asked you to help get them together. He was not looking at you until it was clear that this girl wasn't that interested or it didn't work out. I would never be with someone under those circumstances. On one hand, you could have spoken up and told him "what about dating ME?" when he asked about her, but maybe you knew deep down that it would be a rebound.

I think this started out too shakey. Honestly, stop logging into his Facebook. its okay to look someone up because you are curious, but sexting is not.

I think what i would do is i would see him in person and tell him that you don't think he is over his ex yet and break up with him. you deserve better.

Well, what is going on in your relationship other than this issue? Is he loving? Is he attentive? Do you love him? Does he love you? Do you get along well together? Would he ever cheat on you or do you feel he is trying to?

I'm just trying to figure out if there's enough of a relationship here that maybe you can do some couples counseling or you could sit down with him and ask him why is he texting this girl? Whining about an ex-girlfriend is just downright rude, especially when you're suppose to be in a love affair with someone else. But you're saying that took place more than a year ago and can I assume he's over that? But is this just a casual dating situation? You said you were in school together, so you're both are relatively young. Maybe he's just not ready to settle down and he's just spending time with you, as they use to say. You might think about letting him go if he's not serious about you.

Sorry, OP, but no - he isn't trustworthy. You are right to be concerned about this guy.

He shouldn't be seeking out someone he's had previous sexual interactions with just to "say hello." I highly doubt that his reasons for contacting her were totally innocent. A guy who is in love with you doesn't behave like this, girl.

Also, no, it's not normal that he was dating you while missing his ex that much. He shouldn't have been dating anyone if his heart and mind were still with her. That was a huge red flag.

I have to agree with aintbroken that you were the fallback girl. He bounced from girl to girl and came to you when the others rejected him, claiming he loved you within a couple weeks? This isn't the type of guy you can take seriously, unfortunately. He says all the right words but sincere and genuine feeling aren't backing it up.

I would end this. It will feel so much better to make room in your life for someone who came to you for the right reasons and doesn't have such a shady history that bleeds into the present like this.

Archived