When Toxic Parents Want to Help Out...

lonestar89

If you've seen my last and only post you know I've been dealing with toxic parents for all my life; I am in my late twenties. A little while ago my grandma, who I've lived with since 2015, just let me know after months of my searching for a job that I have an interview tomorrow. Obviously, I'm going to take the opportunity but I can't help but feel like this is going to be used for even more ridicule (ie making me the butt of EVERY joke every time we meet up)

Am I being paranoid

My parents are somewhat controlling, specifically with dating and finding me a man so I kind of get where you're coming from. All I can say is to take this opportunity if you see it being a job you'd be okay working, and continue to tell them it is your life your decision on things. Just continue to be assertive. It's honestly all you can do with family unless you choose to cut ties completely, which I don't see necessary unless it's genuinely affecting your quality of life.

Well, you're 28 and it's time you stand on your own two feet. You need to get a job, get an apartment and stop living at home. If you act like a victim, then you are a victim. Unless you have a disability that accounts for the way family and friends treat you, you have to show some maturity and go out on your own.

I felt (and to some degree was told) that I would have a better life if I moved...a total lie. The last time I worked was early last yr...I've been getting unemployment checks but have been told that I should file an extension. I got a job off the books but lost it because of Irma and am now in default with financial aid. They told me that if I could pay 6 consecutive payments ON TIME I can qualify for aid; I was able to talk the payments down to $6/month so I will actually be 29 by the time I go back to School

If you go to the local department of social services they could help you with living arrangements, finances, education, health care and employment help. It sounds like a better deal than living with toxic relatives.

I've been getting unemployment checks but have been told that I should file an extension.

Archived