Help For Sore Muscles!

Hi guys need your help again!

As some of you know, I've been doing yoga for a couple of years, I also run but not that much anymore (not good on my knees) but other than that, I don't really "work out" or do strength training or anything like that.

My BF does, he works out every chance he gets. At the gym and he also has this "total gym" exercise thingy in the spare room.

Yesterday I spent an hour on it for the first time and damn! I cannot move today. My core mostly, I am having extreme difficulty getting up and sitting down! I just started feeling it a couple of hours ago.

Anything I can do to help heal my poor ab muscles? I told my BF and he said I overdid it for the first time!

No shyt Sherlock, lol but what to do?

He suggested bath with Epsom salts, but that didn't help.

I need to feel better soon as we are going out with another couple for dinner and dancing tonight.

He is picking me up in three hours!

Help!

I think you have to wait it out. It’s called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Drink more water, eat more protein, and give it a few days. Your muscles need to rebuild.

I never heard of that but ty. I will make it out tonight, probably won't be doing much dancing though!

So dumb that I stayed on so long, but it was sort of fun if you know that machine at all.

BF also has various creams for sore achy muscles but they smell horrible!

No way I'm putting that on myself!

Yup you just have to wait it out then go easier the next time. I currently have a pulled muscle in my back and Kalaya cream rubbed on it helps a lot, you can get it online or at the drug store. Bio-Freeze works really well, again, from the drug store. My chiropractor helped me yesterday as I could barely walk, today I feel much better. Advil Liqui-Gels work really well too.

If you do not regularly strength train, you are going to be very sore. After you train more, you feel less sore eventually when your muscles adapt to the change. Of course, if you workout different muscle groups or increase strength/reps this will also contribute to some soreness. Overall body workouts are good.

For short term pain management, try taking 4 advil every 8 hours (multiple doctors have recommended this to me for occasions). It is higher than a regular dose, but ok if you only use it sparingly. Buy some hot/cold patches to put on your abs (usually in any pharmacy store).

If you do not regularly strength train, you are going to be very sore. After you train more, you feel less sore eventually when your muscles adapt to the change. Of course, if you workout different muscle groups or increase strength/reps this will also contribute to some soreness. Overall body workouts are good.

For short term pain management, try taking 4 advil every 8 hours (multiple doctors have recommended this to me for occasions). It is higher than a regular dose, but ok if you only use it sparingly. Buy some hot/cold patches to put on your abs (usually in any pharmacy store).

Thank you yatsue, the ibuprofen (prescription strength) helped a lot!

I feel a bit better today, but staying off the machine for several more days.

Will start out more slowly, 15 minutes and then build up.

I am essentially living at my bf's place now (for the most part) so have complete access to it, which is great.

But need to be careful, BF got rather annoyed with me (sort of lol) said I could have really hurt myself!

Katrina,bsince I posted,bI over-stretched muscles yesterday gardening and was in a lot of discomfort. I took some Ibruprofen, tried massaging myself. The Epsom salts massage oil I have just made me itchy as it's very hot here right now. I found last night that for several hours after taking the Ibruprofen, only thing to give relief was slowly walking sbout. I was worse lying around. My pain was in most parts from the waist down.

I can hardly believe that this morning,mI am pain-free.

Katrina,bsince I posted,bI over-stretched muscles yesterday gardening and was in a lot of discomfort. I took some Ibruprofen, tried massaging myself. The Epsom salts massage oil I have just made me itchy as it's very hot here right now. I found last night that for several hours after taking the Ibruprofen, only thing to give relief was slowly walking sbout. I was worse lying around. My pain was in most parts from the waist down.

___

>>>>I can hardly believe that this morning, I am pain-free.

Wow that sounds like a miracle! :D

I'm wondering if the fact it's so hot there helped in the healing process. yatsue suggested hot/cold pads, which is why I'm wondering that.

I tried Epsom salts too, in a warm bath, felt better while in the bath, but didn't last.

My BF and I were out last night, walked to the restaurant, and even danced a little bit, so maybe that helped too since I do feel much better today.

Thanks for chiming in!

Medications like ibuprofen and Naproxen (eat first), and balms like Bengay or Tiger Balm, all work well for muscle pain.

Stretching after exercise usually minimizes it.

Once I got into my 30s, DOMS really started to rear its ugly head--most especially after the first time I tried a new exercise. But during subsequent sessions of the same exercise, it rarely gets as bad as the first time.

Some say eat a banana, but in my experience Advil > banana.

Medications like ibuprofen and Naproxen (eat first), and balms like Bengay or Tiger Balm, all work well for muscle pain.

Stretching after exercise usually minimizes it.

Once I got into my 30s, DOMS really started to rear its ugly head--most especially after the first time I tried a new exercise. But during subsequent sessions of the same exercise, it rarely gets as bad as the first time.

Some say eat a banana, but in my experience Advil > banana.

OMG bananas yes! Along with the ibuprofen (800 mg).

I had two today already (bananas) and feel tons better!

Didn't think anything of it till you mentioned it! :D

The heat very likely played a part Katrina. I was walking up and down in my verandah when the cool change came - the temperature literally dropped around 5 degrees in 15 minutes or so. Very weird phenomenon with the weather we have. We have been having days of 43 degrees centigrade. The forecast for tomorrow is for rain with the temperature dropping back down to the high 20s, but it's hot again today. I hen I went to bed last night, I did still have some soreness in my right leg and hip but the left side had settled - that was few hours after taking the Ibruprofen. The. This morning is ok. I have to work today and one of my jobs is going to entail a lot of physical activity. Everyone hates this westher, but in a few months we will be at minus 7 degrees.

The heat very likely played a part Katrina. I was walking up and down in my verandah when the cool change came - the temperature literally dropped around 5 degrees in 15 minutes or so. Very weird phenomenon with the weather we have. We have been having days of 43 degrees centigrade. The forecast for tomorrow is for rain with the temperature dropping back down to the high 20s, but it's hot again today. I hen I went to bed last night, I did still have some soreness in my right leg and hip but the left side had settled - that was few hours after taking the Ibruprofen. The. This morning is ok. I have to work today and one of my jobs is going to entail a lot of physical activity. Everyone hates this westher, but in a few months we will be at minus 7 degrees.

If you don't mind my asking (and a bit of a self-hijack) where do you live?

Such extremes, sounds interesting!

I grew up in NY, now living in southern Cali, I miss these extremes.

It's always warm and sunny here for the most part, sunshine is highly over-rated, I want it to rain!

I want a hurricane and a blizzard!

Ok, back on topic! Glad you feel better! :D

It's always warm and sunny here for the most part, sunshine is highly over-rated, I want it to rain!

Hi Katrina, I live a couple hours inland from the coast on the south-east coast if Australia - about 3 hours drive north if Melbourne and 8 hours drive south of Sydney. Originally, I'm from around 24 hours drive north of Sydney. It used to get hot up there too, but is was a humid heat being dub-tropical. Probably that was mire like Flirida, and we didn't have frosts up there. Down here, the town only gets snow around every 50 years due to low altitude, but snow falls half an hour from here and now I work at one if the places it snow! LOL, not sure how I will manage that in winter as Ive never driven in snow.

:eek::eek::eek:

Archived