Explaining Why You Were Let Go From Previous Job

Hi all,

I was recently let go from my last job and am starting to set up interviews. I've never been fired from a job before and am worried about how to respond to a potential employer when it comes up about "why did you leave your last job?"

In all fairness, I was terminated because of some mistakes I had made on the job. I was actually still in the 90 day probationary period and while I have some personal opinions about my former boss, ultimately my job performance was not up to their standard. I acknowledge and accept this. But I don't really know how to show ownership of my mistake while still presenting as a good candidate for potential jobs I am applying for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You simply say that you learned a lot, and that you realized it was not a fit for you or the company you were with. If they ask for more specifics, give them one! Give them a mistake that you made, and then, take ownership for it. Do this very briefly, but be honest: say that you made a mistake doing XYZ, and that you accidentally put B in where C belonged. And that you are so grateful that you were able to learn from that mistake, and that from now on, you are working on your documentation skills (or whatever skills apply) so that this type of mistake won't happen again.

This way, if they ever were to speak to your last boss, and they ask about things, and he/she tells them, then you know you were honest and have nothing to hide.

People love honesty, but don't pour your heart out. Learn as much about the company you are interviewing with, and ask them questions about their products or services. Print out some of their web pages, with notes you have written on them with specific questions. Show them how eager you are to flip the page and move forward.

I was fired a few years ago. In my case I didn't make the mistake they accused me of, but I still got fired for it! Anyway, when I interviewed after the firing I simply explained that I had been hired for one position but was moved into a different one that required a skill set that I hadn't been trained in. I did my best and had some successes but ultimately it wasn't the right fit. Then I explained to the interviewer at the new company that the position they had open WAS the correct fit and I knew I had the proper skill set and experience to be successful.

Funny thing is, none of the companies I interviewed with seemed all that concerned. They looked at my experience and skills list and made their decision based on that rather than immediately dismissing me because I'd been fired.

I now have a great position with an even better company so it all worked out wonderfully.

How relevant was that position to the one you're interviewing for? While I'm not HR or a hiring supervisor, I don't think you'll get judged too harshly for getting let go from a temp-to-hire position. Often enough, the job isn't even intended to be permanently filled. Plus, legally speaking, it's entering murky waters for another employer to get into more subjective details such as your quality of work during a reference. If you were fired for attendance issues, something more objective and easily documented, you might have to dig in a bit deeper to defend yourself.

How relevant was that position to the one you're interviewing for?

The position I held really isn't relevant to the one I'm applying for. When I was being terminated, I asked HR what I can expect in terms of a reference going forward, and she said that the company would not say more than confirm the position I held and the time frame I'd worked there. I'm not as worried about what my former company would say to future employers; I think my main concern is that I present myself in a way that shows I'm able to turn a negative experience into something more positive.

I simply explained that I had been hired for one position but was moved into a different one that required a skill set that I hadn't been trained in. I did my best and had some successes but ultimately it wasn't the right fit.

This is very helpful boltnrun. I think perhaps I can frame my situation similarly; and explain that my skill set simply did not match what the employer was looking for. Thank you for this!

you are so grateful that you were able to learn from that mistake, and that from now on, you are working on your documentation skills (or whatever skills apply) so that this type of mistake won't happen again.

Thank you LHGirl. I believe it really comes down to the manner and attitude in which I express the circumstances. Its important to show that I'm mature enough to own where I went wrong while emphasizing what I'm doing to remedy my mistake.

Great advice; I appreciate everyone's input!

Archived