Grim taste in mouth - concerned

One month ago, right before Christmas, I noticed a very strange taste in my mouth. It was my PMS week so I put it down to hormones. But on Christmas eve I went down with what felt like a nasty virus. Fever, nausea, fatigue. But it never really manifested except for a loss of appetite. That week I didn't eat much and this taste was very strong. My dad said he smelt bile in the car so I thought maybe that's what the taste was. I recovered for the most part throughout January UNTIL this week where the taste, along with shivering, heavy breathing and malaise returned. I can't tell whether the taste is metallic, sinusy or bile, but I do often have minor digestive issues so perhaps it is. I have such bad emetophobia too so ANYTHING stomach related I panic. I also have braces which often cause dry blood taste due to gum sensitivity but I've just sat up from bed to notice the dry blood taste and how different it tastes to the other taste - could it be acid reflux? Last night after dinner I felt a tad throat sick ,but it wasn't like nausea it was more like a gaggy throat sick, as opposed to stomach sick which makes me wonder if it's my sinuses.

I don't recall "the taste" happening for around 3 weeks since I had the bad virus but when the symptoms return so does the taste.

Ideas?

It doesn't sound good. Because of your stomach problems you could be experiencing a deficiency in any number of substances such as sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium, etc. And it could cause a taste in your mouth. You should have your doctor run some blood tests on you.

• 3 weeks later...

Why won't your parents take you to a doctor? First rule out any physical problems you could be having. Hypochondriasis often has underlying very treatable causes such as anxiety, depression, stress, perfectionism, anorexia, etc.

I also have braces which often cause dry blood taste due to gum sensitivity but I've just sat up from bed to notice the dry blood taste and how different it tastes to the other taste - could it be acid reflux? Last night after dinner I felt a tad throat sick ,but it wasn't like nausea it was more like a gaggy throat sick, as opposed to stomach sick which makes me wonder if it's my sinuses

Archived