Need help figuring things out with potential best friend

Hello,

I wasn't sure where it'd be best to post this so I'll do it here. I apologise if it's not the best category I could've picked, but honestly I just want some advice from the nice people I know are all around here.

First of all, I'm gonna be direct about one thing: even though I've been through a few short relationships before (longest one lasted for ~2 months), I wouldn't say I have any real experience. I grew up with a few friends and always acted awkwardly around girls. I always had a lot of trouble handling social interactions, always picking studying over going out with friends, and so on. I wouldn't say I'm the ugliest person ever, but I'm far from being objectively attractive. I'd provide an accurate description but don't wanna spam.

Alright, with the least important part out of the way, I'll be on to the tricky bit. I've recently (last Monday) met a REALLY nice girl on a Facebook group. Just saw her comment on a post and I sent her a really clumsy message stating she's pretty (don't usually do this kind of thing, I even surprised myself with being so outgoing). Against my expectations, she replied, and we've been chatting every day since.

Thing is, she's been very nice all this time, and even though she never hinted at anything serious, right now (this being the key phrase) I'd literally kill if that'd give me a shot at being with her. I'd tell her about this right away if I weren't scared of two things: that it'd put her off by being way too soon (which I totally agree on), and that this'd be just that sort of excitement you get for the short time after you meet an amazing person. I haven't been in a relationship or had any form of sexual contact for a year, and I still feel really attached to my ex (who had to end it because of my constant unnecessary apologies), so that'd be an extra step I'd want to clear before taking any action.

I'm starting to suspect that I get overly attached to friends, after which I try to go one step further due to feeling a lack of affection (been feeling lonely for a long long time) and a bodily lust borderline to obsession.

Sorry I've written such a long thing, I hope I haven't bored the entire sub to death. My first question cluster is: should I seek professional advice regarding the matter? Is it too trivial? Does any of you have a reason to think I might have mental issues of any sort?

And continuing: she kept constant contact with me for all this time, we've been talking regular things people talk when befriending each other, and I feel we're bonding a bit. However, we're half a world apart and obviously we've been raised in two very different cultures. I wouldn't mind at all learning to conform to hers if needed, but could that be considered too spineless of me? Would she have any reason at all to like me?

She's also in her last year of high school, and said she's planning on working and travelling in my home country and neighbouring countries (I'm away for my studies so won't be around that often). That's a bad area though, so I'm worried (for her sake and not my desires, I hope) that she might either be discriminated against, get mugged/assaulted, or end up in a damaging relationship if she seeks protection. What should I do? Could anyone teach me how to understand myself better and to interact with others better?

If you don't have any concrete answer to any of my questions, could you please at least chip in with a proposal or any other sort of feedback? I'd say I'd appreciate that, but I'm honestly really grateful for any of you even reading my post. Hopefully I'll get the help to somehow find a balance between my studies and my social life, and I'll stop being so selfish.

I forgot to mention, I'm open to all questions either here or through any other means of communication. In any case, I really appreciate all the hard work you people are doing. Keep being awesome :)

Thanks again and best wishes, K.

**TL;DR: Unsure if I should confess, also questioning my mental integrity**

1) Do the best you can to gain some confidence. Get your look updated, new clothes, haircut, etc. Round out your life a bit with interests, hobbies volunteering, joining clubs or groups or taking classes (language, dancing, cooking and other social stuff)

2) Get on dating apps and date local girls.

3) Never start out with creepy "you're pretty" etc. Start with small talk, common interests, etc.

1)I wouldn't say I'm the ugliest person ever, but I'm far from being objectively attractive.

2)we're half a world apart and obviously we've been raised in two very different cultures. I wouldn't mind at all learning to conform to hers if needed, but

Archived