Dad hurting mom

bwap

I'm new to this so please excuse my lack of thread etiquette, I'll just jump straight into it.

My dad has recently become very controlling over my whole family, if something isn't done his way and on his time he gets really mad. But what's worse is he has become verbally and emotionally abusive towards my mom, he's acknowledged this to me saying "unfortunately your mother gets the brunt of it" yet didn't show any remorse for his actions. He works extremely hard, mostly 15 hours 7 days a week so my mom excuses his recent erratic behaviour due to his new found hours but I can't take it. She's been reduced to tears so many times. My brother and I are too terrified to speak up because he is verbally abusive over the smallest trivial topics, I hate being at home now but I can't leave my mom alone with him. I understand and appreciate how hard he is working, but this behaviour just isn't okay. Also I don't think I could ever go to the police because we are all very much financially dependent on him, please help me. He was the best dad I could have ever asked for, I just don't know who he is anymore.

What do I do?

I would first speak to your mom in private. Ask her what she thinks. Make sure he is no where around.

If she thinks he would than I'd suggest you ask him to seek a good neutral counselor. He has to be willing. If he wont go have her go in private without him. Maybe this will give her the strength to leave. Maybe that will snow ball and make him get help so he wont lose her for good. I'm truly sorry you as the son have to be the parent here. That is not fair to you. You don't deserve this. I'm so sorry. You're a really good son. If no one else tells you that I will.

Archived