Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Fight

conflicted57

First Fight

I have been dating my [23F] significant other [23M] for almost 3 mo. now. We are both busy people and see each other 1-2 times a week and text several times each day. However, we have not discussed being exclusive or defining the relationship at all. I have met a couple of his friends and he has met mine and agreed to meet my parents.

On NYE, we were out with my friends and I ended up accidentally drinking too much. At some point in the night (I don't remember) I apparently started talking to a random guy at the bar. The next thing I know when my memory returned, he was yelling at me for talking to this guy. Since I couldn't give him an explanation (again, I didn't remember) all I could say was I never would have done that and I only wanted to be with him. He kept pressing and arguing and I eventually yelled back that we've never discussed our relationship so I don't know what I can and cannot do.

The next morning I said I was sorry and again sent an apology and that I wanted to be with him via text, he told me he was confused but thanked me for saying that. I didn't hear from him for the rest of the week until I called and left a voicemail asking if there was a time to grab coffee this weekend. To which he texted that Monday would work.

Is this "relationship" over? I am aware that the way I acted was terribly disrespectful and it is dangerous to get so intoxicated, but I truly do not remember any of the situation and was horrified to hear of it when he confronted me afterwards. I would have never in 1000 years paid attention to anyone but him had I been able to control my actions. I have really spent time wrestling with myself about this and I am positive.

any advice you could give me would be helpful, I don't want to ruin what was otherwise a great thing with one drunken mistake.

Rozhni
    Quote Originally Posted by conflicted57 [Register to see the link]
    I have been dating my [23F] significant other [23M] for almost 3 mo. now. We are both busy people and see each other 1-2 times a week and text several times each day. However, we have not discussed being exclusive or defining the relationship at all. I have met a couple of his friends and he has met mine and agreed to meet my parents.

On NYE, we were out with my friends and I ended up accidentally drinking too much. At some point in the night (I don't remember) I apparently started talking to a random guy at the bar. The next thing I know when my memory returned, he was yelling at me for talking to this guy. Since I couldn't give him an explanation (again, I didn't remember) all I could say was I never would have done that and I only wanted to be with him. He kept pressing and arguing and I eventually yelled back that we've never discussed our relationship so I don't know what I can and cannot do.

The next morning I said I was sorry and again sent an apology and that I wanted to be with him via text, he told me he was confused but thanked me for saying that. I didn't hear from him for the rest of the week until I called and left a voicemail asking if there was a time to grab coffee this weekend. To which he texted that Monday would work.

Is this "relationship" over? I am aware that the way I acted was terribly disrespectful and it is dangerous to get so intoxicated, but I truly do not remember any of the situation and was horrified to hear of it when he confronted me afterwards. I would have never in 1000 years paid attention to anyone but him had I been able to control my actions. I have really spent time wrestling with myself about this and I am positive.

any advice you could give me would be helpful, I don't want to ruin what was otherwise a great thing with one drunken mistake.
    I donít feel like that was enough to end a relationship especially since you say you were that drunk. He seems to be overreacting. I would be upset, too but why end a relationship over that? Why did he let you talk to a guy like that if you were that drunk?

boltnrun
    Platinum Member
    It's not up to anyone to "let" someone do something. These are adults.

By "talking to", what do you mean? You simply had a conversation? Does he only want you speaking to him?

Capricorn3
    On NYE, we were out with my friends and I ended up accidentally drinking too much. At some point in the night (I don't remember) I apparently started talking to a random guy at the bar. The next thing I know when my memory returned, he was yelling at me for talking to this guy.
    I can't imagine why he would have such an unbelievably childish reaction to you talking to another guy. He is either incredibly immature or you were overly flirting and not just "talking".

Maybe time for you both to re-think this relationship.

conflicted57
    I havenít gotten a clear answer from him regarding how it happened. All I remember him saying is I started talking to the guy and walked to the bar with him, but came back pretty quickly.

boltnrun
    Platinum Member
    I havenít gotten a clear answer from him regarding how it happened. All I remember him saying is I started talking to the guy and walked to the bar with him, but came back pretty quickly.
    So he wants you to talk to him only? Is that OK with you?

Honeycomb8
    Gold Member
    Well considering u haven't defined what is you guys have with each other, he has no right to get pissed off at u. Like are u guys even in a relationship.

conflicted57
    No, but if he interpreted it as flirting then I see his point

boltnrun
    Platinum Member
    No, if he "interpreted" it as flirting when you simply had a conversation with a human who didn't happen to be him or a female, that is HIS issue, not yours.

Capricorn3
    To be fair, when observing drunk people "talking" to the opposite sex, it doesn't usually come across as talking, but looks a lot more like flirting and sometimes over the top, which could make any partner feel uneasy and not overly happy. (Just trying to see it from his point of view). That said, as long as none of us know what really happened, it's all just a guessing game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Top Threads
Sheís always nervous around me and idk what to do
The girl Iíve been seeing for the past 4 months is still nervous around me. Weíve seen each other 7 times in 4 months. So what Iíve noticed is
SEND HELP!! Early stages of dating.. should I still put the effort in when he is multi dating?
Ok... I will give it a go: I met this guy online (we have been speaking for two months prior) we met up finally at Christmas and had a great time, we
Turns out sheís my twin flame
After first seeing her in 7th grade and being too shy back then to ever talk to her, I ended up changing schools after a week or so and lost complete
Dating a girl fresh from breakup
I met a girl I liked and we've been on two dates already. The problem is that her bf has broken up with her recently (for 2nd or 3rd time, they'd
Should I Ask Her Out Again? She's coming to me after flaking.
We're in college, so this all seems a little immature. I know things wont be as complicated as you get older. So i posted about this girl a while
His sexual past bothers me a lot? Should I dump him?
I started dating this guy recently and we've really hit it off. Thing is: I'm happy in the relationship but his past REALLY bothers me. He's
When guys are off with you, are they on with another?
This question is for the men . When you are dating a girl and suddenly lose interest (completely off) is it almost always because another woman

Featured Threads
Sheís always nervous around me and idk what to do
The girl Iíve been seeing for the past 4 months is still nervous around me. Weíve seen each other 7 times in 4 months. So what Iíve noticed is
We got back together and then...
Hey guys. Its been a few months since my last post. Id like to say hello to a few names I remember from before. Ive been reading some of everyones
Should i sell my house and live with my gf
I have been with my gf for 11 months. We are at a crossroads and i cant decide what to do as regards living with her in her home. She wants me to
Prednisone is the only thing that makes me sane
I am seeing a neurologist soon but wanted to see if there's anybody out there who has similar symptoms to me. I've tried googling it, and it seems
I think I hate my girlfriend...
Hey folks, newbie here. Long story short with a few details: I have been with my girlfriend for 5 years. We rent a house together. We met
Gift buying woes
Iíve been dating this guy for about 8 months. Heís a cop so has a cop car for work, and he has two personal vehicles. Both expensive luxury cars. I
Mother moved out. Curious how to guide her in the right direction. If possible.
[B]So if I had written this post a few days ago it would go like this:[/B] My mother moved out a few weeks ago after she found a job and an
Ask For Advice