Is this technically cheating?

hayley286

To make a long story short, a month and a half ago my boyfriend of 3 and a half years told me that he didn't see a future with me and he wasn't as happy with me. I was devastated at first but the more I thought about it, I realised I truly felt the same. Because we live together and our lease is due to be up soon, we decided to remain as we are and mutually split but still stay friends after we move out. We have still been having occasional sex and things have been relatively normal. However on NYE I got really drunk and ended up having sex with a guy I met at the party I was at. My 'boyfriend' wasn't there. Now my 'boyfriend' is the only person I have ever had sex with so this is kind of a big deal to me, not to mention I am really physically attracted to this other guy. We have been talking and he wants to meet up again but I am conflicted if this goes against all my morals, I mean technically? Even though I know my relationship is ending/technically over? I have no intention of telling my 'boyfriend' because I think it would cause unnecessary drama. I also 100% know that my 'boyfriend' isnt going to change his mind about the relationship and neither will I.

Should I feel like I am betraying my 'boyfriend?' I don't really feel that way but then I have moments where I think, shouldn't I feel worse? Thoughts and opinions please!!

I think your problem comes from the fact that I'm not sure you've officially broken up with your first boyfriend. Are you going to sneak around with this new guy or outright introduce him to your first boyfriend. If you're sneaking around, it's cheating. If you introduce him, you're not cheating.

I think your problem comes from the fact that I'm not sure you've officially broken up with your first boyfriend. Are you going to sneak around with this new guy or outright introduce him to your first boyfriend. If you're sneaking around, it's cheating. If you introduce him, you're not cheating.

Disagree! I wouldnt introduce a fling to anyone, much less my just-ex bf! ""Sneaking" in this case is an act of respect for the boundaries they have - and dont have. The shared living space is an unnatural situation.

Not cheating.

However,

1) no more sex with bf. It just isn't right, and I doubt everybody is well protected from stds and exposing anyone to that risk is irresponsible.

2) your lease is up "soon" - can you wait to see this boy toy till then? This is the least chaotic option.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It sounds to me like you have no intentions of a future with your 'ex' but you are still calling him boyfriend. It sounds like you are casually carrying on your sex life but are both aware the relationship is over. I wouldn't consider this cheating I would consider it moving on, you just happen to be in a weird living situation. However, if you like this guy and start seeing him you should probably stop sleeping with your ex. If you start a relationship out that way it would bother you later.

Are you both dating other people or is it a secret? Why would it cause "drama"?

We have still been having occasional sex and things have been relatively normal. I have no intention of telling my 'boyfriend' because I think it would cause unnecessary drama.

Archived