My sister hates everything I like

HadaraNight

I always had my suspicions about it, but now I can say it is real. The fact is that I can't understand why my sister hates everything I love or like. For example, let's say, I like a TV show, she will say she dislikes it, no matter if we both started liking it on the first place. The trigger is when I say (or show) I truly like something. She doesn't let me talk about it, she says she dislikes it (even though she used to love it) and will only talk about it when she wants to convince me into doing something for her or when she wants to prove me wrong.

What I've been doing so far is not talking about what I like, and trying not to show any emotions when I approach something I like. It seems she truly enjoys my silence because now she can talk about the things she likes and have everyone telling her how awesome they are. It keeps things at ease, but geez, it is getting on my nerves! It is complicated, I can't show even in the slightless that I like something or it can be used against me... I can't even do fan art or anything creative related to what I like because she will notice and use it against me. She follows me on every social media so I can't hide my art from her so I have to stick to doing various things so she doesn't find out what I truly like...

I don't understand why she is like this, I mean, she has everything she has always wanted: she has a good job, a good income, lots of friends who really care about her, while I am the total opposite: have a horrible job, no RL friends, no money... and she still gets bothered when I am commissioned to do a painting for a very low price and she does not?? I am confused...

I am not blaming my sister for what she is doing, I am just trying to understand why this is happening. Has something like this happened to you? Btw, Happy New Year everyone :)

I can’t shed light on the why but I can ask, why are you modifying your behaviour so much? Why not just let her ‘hate’ the things she hates and stop trying to have decent conversations with her(since she has already stopped trying with you). And do yourself a favour and limit what she can see if you online (I know on Facebook you can exclude individuals from seeing posts).

Well, it is because I don't want problems with her. She's daddy's favorite and will also turn my brother against me if she feels offended by anything I say or do. She always tricks my dad and brother to do everything she wants; I usually don't agree with her, that's when the problems arise. I have to be careful with saying too many things in front of her or she may use my own words or likes against me whenever we are with other people or family.

I know about Facebook, don't think you can do that on Instagram...

Um...why? Is my age important for this?

I know that at my age, I should already be living by my own, but again, can't find a decent job to do so...

I was asking because I didn't know if you were in college and had a long time to go, or you were a young adult still living at home. I was going to try to give you advice based on how much longer I thought you had at home. People of all ages write on this board. I've seen posts from 11 year-olds.

So yes, age matters.

Sorry.

I was asking because I didn't know if you were in college and had a long time to go, or you were a young adult still living at home. I was going to try to give you advice based on how much longer I thought you had at home. People of all ages write on this board. I've seen posts from 11 year-olds.

So yes, age matters.

Sorry.

I understand. Actually, I should be the one to apologize for being so rude. I am sorry.

I'm 26.

I understand. Actually, I should be the one to apologize for being so rude. I am sorry.

I'm 26.

No worries, thanks for the apology. I know this is hard. :D

I think if you can try to get out of your house, that would be the best thing in the world for you. Are you job-searching for something better? How about taking a second job in the meantime, or looking for someone who can be your roommate to split the bills?

You will have to get out of this toxic family environment if you are to ever find peace. You will then be able to love your family from a distance, rather than being in everyone's face.

I'm sorry I don't have better advice, but you will find, once you are able to get out and live on your own, how much easier life is than dealing with toxic family members on a day-to-day basis. While you are living in your family's home, you are under their thumb, and you will continue to find life to be difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! @LHGirl Thank you so much for your advice! :)

I am currently searching for a new job and new study opportunities away from home.

You are right about it, I need to get out of this environment... I will do my best to find a new job/study and go away from home.

Again, thank you for everything.

Archived