Don't know what to do with my career aspirations?

Starshine

Hi there Friends,

I'm 23, graduated with a Bachelors in Biology and looking for a job. It's been two years and all I come up with is teaching posts and nothing else. Don't get me wrong "I respect the post a lot" But it's just not something I intended to become or see myself in the future. It's just something that came up. Honestly I'm one of those who believes that there is a higher calling...purpose to their life (I know how it sounds don't laugh please!) and I'm trying my best to get to wherever that is but I just feel like I can't find that destination or job position or whatever!

I tried to settle myself at peace with teaching but two years and I couldn't manage to secure a permanent job. Not to mention I'm staying in a country which is not my country of nationality. I'm on my dad's company's sponsorship. Or I was until recently as I've finished my education and the company would no longer hold sponsorship for me.

And if I don't find a job...I don't know what's going to happen to me.

And not being able to find a job, and my own independency scares the hell out me. And the place where I stay at is asking for another teachers qualification (A Bachelors in education) if I want to continue teaching in Schools. I'm not sure, I'm already dwindling on my own feet, another qualification and if I don't have a proper job, I'm not sure how that's possible. I don't think I can manage that. Not to mention my aspirations and ambitions which keep haunting me. I just don't know what to do...I have no one who can properly advice me on this. I'm Scared and on the verge of bursting out on anyone and everyone. I've managed to correct other experiences he and there but no golden opportunity.

What must I do?

Any advice is appreciated (Please, no negative comments! I already have enough of those)

I had the same issue as you, still do, but I found a pretty good solution. Consider getting a license in the medical field (medical assistant, nurse, pharmacy tech), this way you can get your foot in the door and find your calling. A lot of medical/biology jobs need more then a degree, I spent a year looking for even a job taking care of lab animals.

Science degrees take more than an undergraduate degree to land a job. You may have to go back to school and pair it up with something else like medical or engineering.

Did you do any internships? Those should of gave you some insight on career aspects wth your field.

Having a teaching degree is a standard. Schools want teachers who know how to plan for instruction, manage classroom behavior, take data on student learning and be able to explain concepts to their cognitive level. It is very job political and it's why I left that field for mental health.

Do you want to teach? Or would you rather do something else? You may need to consider an advanced degree, whether that's a master's or PhD or you might want to get a certification (like some of a pharmacy jobs or medical technology jobs others listed). Someone is working in my lab right now as a technician, she just finished her BS in biology. However, her next plan is to go to Med school in 2 years. You can try to find a similar job as a technician in a laboratory. Have you looked at working in a laboratory hospital as a microbiologist or other type of technical work?

Thanks for the lovely advices. I have tried looking guy lab jobs... But we don't have that much of developed labs where I am. And I do plan for a Masters or Degree in Medicine I'm future but I need a job now to save up for my degree. You see I'll have to do it on my own funds. I have some amount saved up but I'm just cautious and unsure whether I should do masters in my own subject line or something else. I'm just not sure... What if I don't get a job even after masters. And I tried applying to the few labs we have here but they want a social worker to work for free/no pay internship and I need the money for my future! What else I'm thinking of moving out to my home country to find better job! I don't know

Working yourself into a panic won't help. I'd take any job I could find for immediate expenses, and in doing so, I would prevent idleness from spinning me into anxiety. If signing up for the education courses to teach would invoke my sponsorship, I'd chisel away at those while I work any jobs I can get--whether they be temp jobs through an agency or teaching jobs that will employ me given my status as a student pursuing their requirements.

That's a basic survival plan, which would buy me the time to pursue my own aspirations when possible. For instance, while temping or working a couple part time jobs of any kind I could apply to agencies to place me in temp jobs inside a pharmaceutical firm or other firm that employs people in my field or relatively close to it. If I temp in any capacity inside of those firms, I could apply for better roles from within after building the kind of relationships with people who can open doors for me.

What I would NOT do is hold out for 'my-dream-or-nothing.' Plenty of people need to work outside of their majors while plotting grander plans down the road.

Head high, and I hope 2018 brings you your best year ever.

Plus, does anyone have any idea if i want to study medicine after a BS do they make any concession in the number of years required to get the Med. degree If not could you please ask someone and let me know!

I don’t mean to be rude. But if you want to go in to medicine, you need to be proactive and find this out for yourself. You need to do your own research and understand your options.

There’s a reasonably high chance you wouldn’t even be accepted to med school once you apply. You have to KNOW you want it. You’ll have interviews and you need to be passionate. Right now you seem lost.

Right down what you enjoyed from biology. Think of jobs that dabble in that experience. Figure out what excites you. Going to get a higher degree willy nilly with no plan is a foolish waste of money.

If you're worried about dumping money into a graduate degree and not being satisfied with the outcome, maybe consider a certification program such as becoming a veterinary technician. Doesn't have to be that exactly, but there's a lot of demand for jobs that pay decently (though perhaps not as much as you'd like for your degree) and which your biology degree will stand out a bit more for. Make a bit of money working in whatever field of biology and use that experience to establish a goal you'd be more comfortable pursuing a graduate's degree for.

Thank you so much everyone. I'll see what I can do about it. And God I hope I can do something well. Thanks again j.man, Snny, Annie24, catfeeder, mustlovedogs, thorough, any anyone I forgot for the kind and honest opinions. May you find your way easy in difficult times as well.

Archived