Harassed at work

joe45

Started a job and it’s been a month and I got sick and started coughing, I got my co workers sick too and 3 of co workers always says it’s all your fault . What can I do about it, yea I got sick but it’s out of my control . I guess it spread to them and they are coughing and once in while get the it’s all your fault.

What do you guys think

Also get harassed at work like my trainer would joke around saying oh today your last day, get your box ready, those jokes and this was before I got sick too

Oh he’ll make fun of your shirt saying it’s for girls even though I got it from men’s section, what can you do when he’s got higher postion than you and your new. He’s not my manager but still

What witty comeback can i say back as he’s always saying it’s my fault for making him cough and he’s always saying it’s my fault regardless now too

Well I do think it’s irresponsible to go to work sick. Coughing does transmit diseases. Do you cover your mouth when you cough?

Don’t do a witty comeback re: the rude comments. Just say something like “what do you mean by that comment? Can you elaborate?” They almost certainly won’t. And then you can tell them you don’t appreciate comments like that if they do it again.

Well if you have a lack of good hygiene that makes you more contagious I can understand their annoyance. If you are sick and coughing then I would also get annoyed if you came to work and got me sick. But it does happen.

If you want to be a mature professional in your workplace do not do a "witty" comeback. Either ignore it or tell them you don't appreciate the comments and take it to your HR if it continues.

In all honesty it sounds like this is a disproportionately large reaction to their behavior. I've had people make comments like that to me but I typically don't even take note of something like that.

It almost seend as if something about you promotes you as a target to them.

My thoughts:

1) Try not to go to work if you are sick

2) If you're coughing due to a chronic health issue (like asthma), try to get on prescription medication from your doctor to control your cough

3) bring cough drops and other things (hot tea) to help you if you have to go to work and try to avoid coughing or go to the bathroom if it is bad then wash your hands

4) wash your hands frequently anyway. I wash my hands probably 20 times a day.

5) ignore your coworkers when they start making jokes about your "last day at work"

Off course it is impossible to know from sure, but from my perspective, it seems that you are overly sensitive to stuff other people are doing at work. I find that if you take peoples comments lightly, joke about it, make fun of yourself, whatever, you will get along much better with everyone else. If on the other hand, you take everything seriously it will only get worse.

You might be a target because you're sensitive to the ribbing. This may be one of those 'macho' environments where anyone and anything that can be hit takes a hit, and you'll need to decide whether it's worth it to you to continue working there. If it's a good job that you want to keep, I'd chalk up the ribbing to something I'll need to internalize less and become resilient about.

This doesn't sound like the kind of job where an HR department has managed the culture very well, so I doubt I'd take my issues to them. It's your call.

The best way to deal with the jokes is to brush them off and laugh at them yourself. Once you do that, you take the air out of their intensity. People eventually stop, because they see it doesn't rile you up. In fact, you can joke along with them, and the next day, you can wear a different shirt and make a comment how you actually did get it in the women's section, how great do I look? LOL. You have to be able to play along with the jokes for them to lose their meaning.

I'm on a team at work where everybody kids everybody else. If we didn't have thick skin and the ability to give it right back, we'd never get any work done.

As for the cough, yeah, don't go to work sick. That's not cool.

The best way to deal with the jokes is to brush them off and laugh at them yourself. Once you do that, you take the air out of their intensity. People eventually stop, because they see it doesn't rile you up. In fact, you can joke along with them, and the next day, you can wear a different shirt and make a comment how you actually did get it in the women's section, how great do I look? LOL. You have to be able to play along with the jokes for them to lose their meaning.

I'm on a team at work where everybody kids everybody else. If we didn't have thick skin and the ability to give it right back, we'd never get any work done.

As for the cough, yeah, don't go to work sick. That's not cool.

I agree with the need for thicker skin, but I wouldn't 'give it back' unless and until you feel confident enough to do so. Otherwise, your targets will sense your discomfort and capitalize on making you feel lousy about whatever you've dished. That only makes you feel guilty on top of already feeling like a victim.

Skip that. Instead, I'd just own whatever you get ribbed about to the degree that it neutralizes it. For instance, "Yeah, I shop to meet women. If wearing a girlie shirt offends you, I'm sorry, but you're not my audience."

• 3 weeks later...

Archived