Discovered New Way To Lose Weight Or Maintain Weight...

So my BF and I are starting to get more serious, spending more time together, adopting a puppy (a precious female Yorkie mix, her name is Bella, she'll live with me, BF has 2 black labs).

Anyway, he works till about 9:00 and comes over after that. Spends the night. Around 4 nights a week now, sometimes 5!

He gets up super early too, and loves to make a huge breakfast, eggs, sausage or bacon, toast, sometimes French toast or pancakes.

Anyway, my pattern now is just skipping dinner!

I work late too, then am off to yoga or gym, or meet up group, or meet friends for drinks (don't drink much anymore, but will nurse a glass of wine or champagne).

So by the time it's 9:00, and he swings by, I don't have time to eat dinner; he eats at the hospital (where he works).

Then I will have a substantial b'fast of two eggs, 1-2 pieces of bacon/sausage and 2 pieces of toast, coffee or tea and juice.

Then a light lunch, salad and protein, nuts or peanut butter and crackers, for a snack.

Since doing this, I've lost another 3-5!

Even though I cannot afford to lose more weight, so may need to add protein shake sometime during the day.

What do you think? Is this healthy, skipping dinner 4 nights a week? And then eating a bigger breakfast?

I'm feeling really good physically, and I think the fact the majority of calories are being consumed during b'fast, they get worked off during the day, as opposed to eating dinner and then just lying around.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where are your fruits and veggies? Your diet is not balanced.

Bacon and sausage are terrible. Replace it with something more healthy.

Oh forgot, will sometimes eat an apple with the peanut butter or grapes and nuts for a snack and drink LOTS of V-8; maybe too much V-8; last time I had my blood checked, my potassium levels were a bit too high so doctor advised to cut back on the V-8.

But yeah could probably eat more fruit, not my fav thing to eat though tbh.

What do you think about skipping dinner?

So my BF and I are starting to get more serious, spending more time together, adopting a puppy (a precious female Yorkie mix, her name is Bella, she'll live with me, BF has 2 black labs).

Anyway, he works till about 9:00 and comes over after that. Spends the night. Around 4 nights a week now, sometimes 5!

He gets up super early too, and loves to make a huge breakfast, eggs, sausage or bacon, toast, sometimes French toast or pancakes.

Anyway, my pattern now is just skipping dinner!

I work late too, then am off to yoga or gym, or meet up group, or meet friends for drinks (don't drink much anymore, but will nurse a glass of wine or champagne).

So by the time it's 9:00, and he swings by, I don't have time to eat dinner; he eats at the hospital (where he works).

Then I will have a substantial b'fast of two eggs, 1-2 pieces of bacon/sausage and 2 pieces of toast, coffee or tea and juice.

Then a light lunch, salad and protein, nuts or peanut butter and crackers, for a snack.

Since doing this, I've lost another 3-5!

Even though I cannot afford to lose more weight, so may need to add protein shake sometime during the day.

What do you think? Is this healthy, skipping dinner 4 nights a week? And then eating a bigger breakfast?

I'm feeling really good physically, and I think the fact the majority of calories are being consumed during b'fast, they get worked off during the day, as opposed to eating dinner and then just lying around.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your diet! I know that eggs are super healthy for you so it is good that you are eating so many eggs. :eek:

Of course, all the nutrition advice out there changes daily, as in, eggs are horrible for you, oh wait, no, eggs are great for you, etc.

Today's advice out there is that skipping dinner, or having a longer fast time between your last meal eaten and your breakfast, is actually good for you. But other advice is to eat 5-6 times a day, keep your metabolism stoked, etc.

Here's the thing: if you feel good, if you feel satisfied, if your macronutrients are well balanced, then it's a good plan for you.

I like dinner too much. Dinner is too important a part of my social life. So for me, to not gain weight (or lose, which I need to, about 10 lbs.), I need to eat a much smaller amount of calories during the day to keep room for the calories. To each his own, and yours seems to be working for you, as in your new situation, your social life begins around 9:00 pm, with your new boyfriend, which is great, and congrats BTW!

The notion of a huge breakfast with eggs, bacon, cooked in butter, etc., has gotten a ton of play since the realization that healthy fats, and the protein and cholesterol in eggs, are actually a good thing.

I follow a neurosurgeon who lost almost 100 lbs. several years ago, and he now posts stuff that is so way over my head, lol, but I actually saw him speak once and met him. He's brilliant. He calls it the BAB: The Big Ass Breakfast. Basically, starting your day just like you are! I started that when I first read his blog, and I still do it today, in fact, I just finished my BAB: Eggs cooked in Ghee, Sausage, Spinach, and a little bit of Brie. So yum, and I'll be full till my dinner. And yes, I lose weight when I do this.

Thanks for sharing your diet! I know that eggs are super healthy for you so it is good that you are eating so many eggs. :eek:

LOL, yeah I'm a bit diet obsessed; I've posted about this, goes back to my childhood and my mom's obsession with weight, staying slim, etc.

I only eat like 2 eggs a day, 4-5 days a week, not "that many! And they're packed with protein!! :D

LOL, yeah I'm a bit diet obsessed; I've posted about this, goes back to my childhood and my mom's obsession with weight, staying slim, etc.

I only eat like 2 eggs a day, 4-5 days a week, not "that many! :D

In addition to the neurosurgeon I follow, I follow a lot of other doctors now, and they all are saying the same thing: "that many eggs" are good for you!

I started eating 2 eggs a day MINIMUM, many years ago, and my cholesterol improved. My HDL went way up (almost doubled, which is the "healthy" cholesterol), and my Tri's went down.

In addition to the neurosurgeon I follow, I follow a lot of other doctors now, and they all are saying the same thing: "that many eggs" are good for you!

I started eating 2 eggs a day MINIMUM, many years ago, and my cholesterol improved. My HDL went way up (almost doubled, which is the "healthy" cholesterol), and my Tri's went down.

Very interesting! I've recently read they were good for you too.

I don't know, I think my diet is pretty healthy; the salad has veggies too.

I really was just wondering about the no dinner thing; my brother, who is VERY health conscious, gave me shyt for it when I told him.

Oh forgot, will sometimes eat an apple with the peanut butter or grapes and nuts for a snack and drink LOTS of V-8; maybe too much V-8; last time I had my blood checked, my potassium levels were a bit too high so doctor advised to cut back on the V-8.

Strictly speaking, skipping dinners doesn't make any difference. Losing weight is about calories in-calories out. So if you skip dinner but eat more calories in the morning, it's the same thing.

Replace Bacon and sausage with yogurt or tuna or something with high protein and low carbs/fat.

Strictly speaking, skipping dinners doesn't make any difference. Losing weight is about calories in-calories out. So if you skip dinner but eat more calories in the morning, it's the same thing.

Replace Bacon and sausage with yogurt or tuna or something with high protein and low carbs/fat.

Maybe should do that 2 days, don't want to cut it out altogether though; bacon is like my guilty pleasure!

But yeah I know it's not the greatest health wise, thanks for chiming in!

Most eggs are a good source choline, which your brain needs. Interestingly enough, it's in the yolk, so all the folks who go strictly with the whites to cut calories take a lot from the nutritional value.

But what you're describing is essentially intermittent fasting lite, which is my dietary lifestyle pretty much 70% of the year (I don't do it when I'm off-season for work as that's when I kick back and eat and drink as I please). I highly recommended it to my clients as it's one of the easiest methods that can be adopted as a lifestyle as you generally don't have to cut back on foods you enjoy (relative to the time you actual have to eat, that is). Personally, I skip breakfast rather than dinner as 1) I've never been a fan of breakfast anyway , and 2) I find I can focus a bit better in a fasted state. It's not for everyone, particularly if you've got a binge-prone personality, but so long as you're getting your nutritional needs fulfilled during your eating window, it's perfectly healthy for most people.

Seriously, skipping meals is NOT that big of a deal at all. Humans were "made" to be able to fast for extended periods if needed. Also, whoever said that bacon and sausage is awful for you.... that is up for debate and subjective... In my opinion a concentrated orange juice is worse due to all the sugar you will be consuming. So like someone already said, so long as your macros make sense (and that depends on your goals/energy needs) + you are getting enough micro nutrients, you are good.

I usually do something just opposite to what you do. I skip breakfasts. I start work at 6:30AM, and HATE waking up early. So I know that if I am going to eat in the morning, I will end up grabbing fast food or other junk - NOT GOOD. So in the morning I just have coffee, until lunch at 11AM. Then I have a fairly large lunch, consisting 80% of the time of a HUGE salad. Spinach, Lettuce, Kale, Eggs, bacon, cheese, almonds, sunflower seeds, chicken, sweet potatoes, cucumber, brocoli, etc. And yes, I add all of this stuff to it together... lol, seasoned with some balsamic vinaigrette.

Then I don't eat again until dinner, which is not consistent. Sometimes I have a fairly large dinner, sometimes I just eat some fruits, other days I skip it entirely, depends on how I am feeling that day. But I try to eat very little carbs for dinner. My diet in general is pretty low on carbs now.

I am 6'0" tall, and was 232lbs at the beginning of the year. And even with an injury and knee surgery, I still managed to lose 30lbs this year. Down to 202.8 as of this morning :D. Off course, I am also weightlifting in the process to not lose muscle mass, etc. Target weight 190lbs, then I will keep bulking and cutting between 190-200.

Thanks j.man and AtitAgain!

And yeah, it's a great way to lose/maintain weight. Congrats on your weight loss AtitAgain.

As I said, think I will need to add a protein shake though, just for more calories, to maintain, don't need to lose more.

Not gonna worry about it. I eat dinner 2-3 nights a week; BF and I are going out NYE, so will most likely eat a substantial dinner then too.

Thanks again, feel better!

My brother has too big an influence on my thoughts, need to stop that!

I typically eat my breakfast around 10 am. I wrestle with my blood sugar so I always need to eat protein in the morning. Eggs are the easiest.

Around 2 oclock I eat a large lunch, usually a salad of some sort with chicken or sushi. I rarely eat burgers, fast good or sandwiches. (if I do it's a treat) I have some gluten sensitivities.

A snack in between, banana, nuts, etc.

And. . no dinner. Because eating lunch at 2 means you are not hungry yet by dinner time. Maybe a snack later if I am hungry.

I've been doing this for so long I can't remember. The only problem is it throws a wrench into my social life. If I have some sort of notice I have to adjust my eating because after all most people eat dinner and that's what you do when you socialize. If you don't catch me in time, I am the person at the table not eating or just because it makes everyone really uncomfortable, I'll order a cup of soup or something.

I have maintained my weight all through my adult years and bounce around within 10 lbs of when I was young.

It just works for me.

Maybe should do that 2 days, don't want to cut it out altogether though; bacon is like my guilty pleasure!

But yeah I know it's not the greatest health wise, thanks for chiming in!

It's ok to eat something unhealthy since a very strict diet can backfire. But everything in moderation. For instance, I have cheat meals only on the weekends but during the week I have a very strict regimen .

If you eat something unhealthy every day, just keep the quantity in moderation.

Losing weight is fairly easy if you have good eating habits which seems you have. Good luck :)

I typically eat my breakfast around 10 am. I wrestle with my blood sugar so I always need to eat protein in the morning. Eats are the easiest.

Around 2 oclock I eat a large lunch, usually a salad of some sort with chicken or sushi. I rarely eat burgers, fast good or sandwiches. (if I do it's a treat) I have some gluten sensitivities.

And. . no dinner. Because eating lunch at 2 means you are not hungry yet by dinner time. Maybe a snack later if I am hungry.

I've been doing this for so long I can't remember. The only problem is it throws a my social life. If I have some sort of notice I have to adjust my eating because after all most people eat dinner

and that's what you do when you socialize. If you don't catch me in time, I am the person at the table not eating or just because it makes everyone really uncomfortable, I'll order a cup of soup or something.

I have maintained my weight all through my adult years and bounce around within 10 lbs of when I was young.

It just works for me.

Well... you and I are 'soul sisters' :D ... so not surprised to hear we essentially share the same diet lifestyle, and you skip dinner too.

Amazing.

It's ok to eat something unhealthy since a very strict diet can backfire. But everything in moderation. For instance, I have cheat meals only on the weekends but during the week I have a very strict regimen .

If you eat something unhealthy every day, just keep the quantity in moderation.

Losing weight is fairly easy if you have good eating habits which seems you have. Good luck :)

Do not need to lose weight dias, that's not my issue fortunately. :D

If anything I need to "gain" weight, which is why I will add the protein shake, but not worrying about it.

I feel great, that's all that matters!

You should be doing whole fruits, not V8. I still say you need to incorporate more fruits and veggies. Also, lettuce, has little nutrition.

I think you should have something small at dinner. It is is better to have small meals through day to keep metabolism going.

Your diet is fat heavy, which is not healthy in the long run.

I am on th exact same “natural” schedule as you, reinventmyself. I typically eat a very large breakfast at around 10 am, then my lunch around 2, and then, I’m not hungry for dinner. Thing is, dinner is such a huge part of my social life that I have to do the adjustment thing regularly or it gets out of hand.

Healthy fats are great too. I often make what I call a Fat Salad: I use a huge serving bowl and tons of dark greens, bell peppers of all colors, other veggies. Then I add avocado, bacon, sunflower seeds, and for dressing olive oil & vinegar. If I’m home alone, it’s my favorite staple dinner. Of course, for me, I have to make sure my daily calories stay in range, as this is also a high calorie salad. I measure everything out really well, and I use a digital electronic food scale religiously.

You should be doing whole fruits, not V8. I still say you need to incorporate more fruits and veggies. Also, lettuce, has little nutrition.

I think you should have something small at dinner. It is is better to have small meals through day to keep metabolism going.

Your diet is fat heavy, which is not healthy in the long run.

Other than the 2 slices of bacon, there is no other fat in my diet.

I don't even put butter on my toast, just jam.

I broil my fish or chic for lunch, and a salad with vinegar and lemon, so don't agree it's fat heavy, but appreciate your thoughts!

Other than the 2 slices of bacon, there is no other fat in my diet.

I don't even put butter on my toast, just jam.

I broil my fish or chic for lunch, and a salad with vinegar and lemon, so don't agree it's fat heavy, but appreciate your thoughts!

I am just saying that there are better choices. Bacon is terrible.

You also mentioned the peanut butter and nuts. Which i love. These can be a good part of a diet in moderation.

http://time.com/4657475/bacon-processed-meat-nutrition/

I worked at a sports stadium when I was younger and there were a lot of night games, so I wouldn't have dinner. Mom would leave dinner in the oven and when I got up in the morning, I ate dinner for breakfast. Then when I went to Fenway, I was given two stingy sandwiches for dinner and I would sneak a Hostess apple "pie" slice later in the game. I lost probably 20-30 pounds and I hadn't been so slim since I was 13.

Eating a big breakfast is perfect for getting to your fighting weight because you use those calories throughout the day, and then you don't need a lot of calories at night. When you eat a big dinner, all those calories get turned into fat and it's harder to process the fat back into calories rather than just using the calories that are sitting in your liver from breakfast just waiting to be turned into fuel. So that's probably why you lost weight. Keep it up, if you can. At the present time, I compromise with a big lunch so I can use those calories throughout the rest of the day and then eat lightly later. So there's certainly nothing wrong with having a big breakfast and I found that you can lose weight by doing it.

I typically eat my breakfast around 10 am. I wrestle with my blood sugar so I always need to eat protein in the morning. Eggs are the easiest.

I've been doing this for so long I can't remember. The only problem is it throws a wrench into my social life. If I have some sort of notice I have to adjust my eating because after all most people eat dinner and that's what you do when you socialize. If you don't catch me in time, I am the person at the table not eating or just because it makes everyone really uncomfortable, I'll order a cup of soup or something.

It just works for me.

Just wondering, do you make deliberately choose not to eat after the 2pm lunch (and snack) for wight purposes?

I feel I would be extremely hungry by 7/8pm if all I'd had was eggs and a a big salad all day.

Do you have any idea how many calories you eat in a day?

Archived