LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Finding me...

Platinum Member
    I'm so sorry this happened. I've been having more vertigo/sensitivity like that in the last year or two (I am 52, not menopausal yet maybe perimenopausal). I had a stroke almost 10 years ago from which I recovered quickly and completely (post-pregnancy stroke) but the vertigo etc is different from those symptoms.

Here's what I have done differently in the last few years - doubled my water intake - I had been drinking 5-6 glasses, now it's about 11 glasses a day,plus no diet soda (some coffee) - I do drink some sparkling water on top of the plain water. It helps so much - the hydration, my digestion, my skin, energy level - I take it like a vitamin/medicine -I have my favorite brand of water bottle in two colors so no excuses.

I also have low blood sugar issues but my numbers are all good -meaning my bloodwork -had it checked a month ago - so I do make sure I don't get overly hungry - I used to carry stuff regularly but now what I do is if I'm going to the office (once or twice a week) I take a few dried figs with me - sugar plus fiber and it tides me over till lunch (I don't want to do vending machines, etc or candy). Also I eat my meals pretty much routine times - within an hour or so of a certain time - I snack very little but make sure I eat enough protein. Also I eat some avocado and almond butter each day (not together!) for the protein/staying power/fiber.

Again sorry that happened and glad you are ok -and yes I'd see a doc just in case.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by SherrySher
    Have you been checked for diabetes? Although hypoglycemia can be an issue on it's own, sometimes it can be an issue stemming from diabetes.
    Definitely not diabetic.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    I'm so sorry this happened. I've been having more vertigo/sensitivity like that in the last year or two (I am 52, not menopausal yet maybe perimenopausal). I had a stroke almost 10 years ago from which I recovered quickly and completely (post-pregnancy stroke) but the vertigo etc is different from those symptoms.

Here's what I have done differently in the last few years - doubled my water intake - I had been drinking 5-6 glasses, now it's about 11 glasses a day,plus no diet soda (some coffee) - I do drink some sparkling water on top of the plain water. It helps so much - the hydration, my digestion, my skin, energy level - I take it like a vitamin/medicine -I have my favorite brand of water bottle in two colors so no excuses.

I also have low blood sugar issues but my numbers are all good -meaning my bloodwork -had it checked a month ago - so I do make sure I don't get overly hungry - I used to carry stuff regularly but now what I do is if I'm going to the office (once or twice a week) I take a few dried figs with me - sugar plus fiber and it tides me over till lunch (I don't want to do vending machines, etc or candy). Also I eat my meals pretty much routine times - within an hour or so of a certain time - I snack very little but make sure I eat enough protein. Also I eat some avocado and almond butter each day (not together!) for the protein/staying power/fiber.

Again sorry that happened and glad you are ok -and yes I'd see a doc just in case.
    Iím sorry this happened, Batya, but very glad to hear you recovered quickly from that stroke.

And thank you for the suggestions. One thing I didnít do yesterday was drink water and it may have been low blood pressure or low blood sugar as well that caused my body to react the way it did.

Low iron has always been a bit of an issue, off & on as well, so this could be the part of the reason I felt weak, maybe.

Stress doesnít help either.

Hopefully the doctor can help find the source of the problem, but obviously it canít hurt to stay on track with drinking my usual water intake and ensuring Iím eating properly and consistently throughout the day.

I think I just have to work on taking more time out for self-care these days, to be honest.

Platinum Member
    Three weeks ago I fainted while I had high fever. Two weeks ago I went for blood test and fainted again while the nurse was taking blood. Thankfully I didnít fall off the chair again. I assumed I fainted because of the fever or low blood pressure or lack of iron. The consensus of two doctors and one nurse was that I passed out due to dehydration.
    I thought nonsense, how can somebody faint because he skipped three glasses of water? Besides, I thought that when you are dehydrated you would feel thirsty. Apparently I was wrong as usual. When I went back to the office the previous week I felt I was about to faint again. I drank three glasses of water and within 5 minutes I was feeling fine again. So, in my case it was indeed dehydration. Lesson learned. I increased my water intake.

Better go to the doctor but it is very possible that itís dehydration.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by dias
    Three weeks ago I fainted while I had high fever. Two weeks ago I went for blood test and fainted again while the nurse was taking blood. Thankfully I didnít fall off the chair again. I assumed I fainted because of the fever or low blood pressure or lack of iron. The consensus of two doctors and one nurse was that I passed out due to dehydration.
    I thought nonsense, how can somebody faint because he skipped three glasses of water? Besides, I thought that when you are dehydrated you would feel thirsty. Apparently I was wrong as usual. When I went back to the office the previous week I felt I was about to faint again. I drank three glasses of water and within 5 minutes I was feeling fine again. So, in my case it was indeed dehydration. Lesson learned. I increased my water intake.

Better go to the doctor but it is very possible that itís dehydration.
    Hope you're feeling better, dias.

I know what you mean. You'd think that you'd feel thirsty if you're dehydrated, but clearly not the case.

I remember years ago, travelling to my parents place for Christmas. I had been home for a couple of days at this point, but I remember lying down and having to get up for Christmas dinner. As soon as I got up, I felt nauseous. My dad drove me to the hospital and after they conducted some tests, they determined that I was dehydrated and overly-fatigued. I also had the 48 hour flu. Not fun! But I remember thinking, "but I'm not thirsty", and "how did they determine I was fatigued?".

I've noticed that consuming water makes me feel more refreshed and energized.

Gosh knows why I find myself not drinking water some days when I know it's good for me (including yesterday), but sometimes I find my days just get away from me, I lose track of time, and I just don't make it a priority.

I'll be visiting the doctor soon, though, and thank you for your input!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by milly007

Gosh knows why I find myself not drinking water some days when I know it's good for me (including yesterday), but sometimes I find my days just get away from me, I lose track of time, and I just don't make it a priority.

I'll be visiting the doctor soon, though, and thank you for your input!
    Yeah, it happens. Some people use reminder apps. Maybe that could help.

In any case, a doctor knows better. I am sure though you have nothing, probably dehydration again. Keep us updated :)

Platinum Member
    Haven't been here in a while and kinda felt the need to journal. Not sure why.

Not a fan of going to the mall and shopping for clothes, so for the first time ever, decided to make a clothing purchase online.

Received my purchase in the mail a few days later and, although it was nice, it looked a little too mature on me. I have to wear suits at work (most of the time), which I absolutely detest and sometimes the cost of suits just really blows my mind (a good, quality suit, anyway). And the thought of having to spend money on something, such as a suit, which I'm not a fan of is something I detest even more.

Anyway, I didn't like the idea of returning my purchase via the mail, so I grudgingly dragged my patoot to the mall in hopes of making a quick return.

I was determined to get in and out, asap. The malls in this city are friggin' huge. As soon as I got there, I found myself speed walking with my backpack on to my destination. All of a sudden, I hear, "Excuse me miss! Excuse me!" coming from behind. I didn't think they were talking to me. The mall was super crowded and they could have been talking to anyone. I then feel a tap on my shoulder and see someone run up beside me on the left. "You look like you're from South America. Are you from Argentina? You look like you're from Argentina. Do you speak Spanish?". I'm thinkin' "huh?". "No, not from there", I said, as I was trying to process the conversation as it was happening because it was, well....strange. All I wanted to do was get in and out of this mall and now some random stranger is asking me where I'm from and about my background and caught me off guard as I was speed walking through a busy mall. So weird.

I tried to cut the conversation short without seeming too cold, but I'll admit, I was spooked. He proceeded to ask for my email and number, in hopes of meeting up for coffee or a drink. I told him I was unavailable (which is kinda true, since I'm seeing someone), and I wasn't interested in him, at all - so even if I wasn't seeing anyone, I still would have come up with some kind of excuse.

As this odd conversation was happening, I thought about how quickly my guard went up when he approached and how I shouldn't be so quick to judge. I tried to find that happy medium between being polite and not seeming like a cold b**ch, since for all I know, maybe it's just a guy putting himself out there and taking a chance, and not some disingenuous guy feeding me lines. Either way, I commented on how nervy he was to have approached a random woman in the mall, but that I had to be on my way (I was hungry!) and still had to return my online purchase. I was still extremely uncomfortable though.

When I got home, a movie called 'The Lakehouse' was on tv, with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Have seen parts of it before, but not the whole movie. I'll admit, one of my guilty pleasures is sappy, romantic movies. I found the connection between their two characters to be pretty interesting. Here are these two strangers forming a strong connection based on letters they've exchanged via snail mail. Without even having met in person yet, they confessed to loving each another. I then thought about other movies like The Notebook and Bridges of Madison County. I mean, I realize these are just movies, but I couldn't help but wonder how many people connect with and feel this way about someone in real life like the characters in these movies. I mean, is it too much of a stretch to think that this type of bond or connection actually happens in real life? To feel THAT strongly about someone and if it's possible for these types of feelings to last a lifetime?

I know of (or had known) some couples who seem to have what I would consider to be an uncommon connection. One couple I knew in particular had the most utmost respect for each other and shared a lot of common interests. They never argued and always looked at each other in the most loving and respectful way, and they were married for a very long time. I just always got the impression that their relationship and connection was unlike anything I had ever heard of or seen. There was just something about them and their relationship that was so special. They just seemed to complement each other and suit each other so well. I'm not even sure how to describe it. I don't know, maybe it's just the hopeless romantic in me that saw what I wanted to see, but there was just something about them, their chemistry and connection. I always hoped to find something as special as these two in a long-term partner.

Here are these two strangers forming a strong connection based on letters they've exchanged via snail mail. Without even having met in person yet, they confessed to loving each another.
    I mean, is it too much of a stretch to think that this type of bond or connection actually happens in real life? To feel THAT strongly about someone and if it's possible for these types of feelings to last a lifetime?
    You see the wreckage from this sort of endeavor written all over the pages of this forum, and on shows like Catfish.

I don't think it's impossible, but I do think that people tend to confuse the dream of these connections with the reality of them, and they stop using their brains.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    You see the wreckage from this sort of endeavor written all over the pages of this forum, and on shows like Catfish.

I don't think it's impossible, but I do think that people tend to confuse the dream of these connections with the reality of them, and they stop using their brains.
    I should clarify.

I'm questioning whether it's possible for this type of strong bond to happen in person, and if it's realistic (especially in terms of it lasting a lifetime).

I've dated and had relationships with men who I liked, but I've never really felt over the moon about them, so I often wonder if I'm missing out.

Is this portrayal of couples in movies (the in person bond) completely unrealistic? I'm wondering if there are any couples who can relate.

The whole falling in love and never meeting is well, ridiculous to me. Just not possible. I think it's possible to feel a certain chemistry with someone after exchanging messages, but whether that chemistry someone feels via messaging translates in person, who knows, but it isnít love...

Platinum Member
    I personally don't buy that that couple you mentioned never argue or have differences or feel blah about each other at times. And they may very well be an awesome couple whether or not they "always" have that connection. I agree with Jibralta. Yes I have felt over the moon. In a few cases it was infatuation/thrill of the chase/unavailable guy -meaning not married just not that into me/emotionally distant etc. In the case of my husband, when we reconnected I felt that way. Over time - no not like that initial over the moon rush - I mean I'm sure part of that was fueled by the initial excitement -but I will say that that strong feeling endures and helps a lot when things are stressful/chaotic/doldrum-ie (word?) because I can conjure up that feeling, remember it and remind myself why we're together.

And I've had the sort of opposite situation where I'm with a great person - truly great -and I am plagued with doubts, not really feeling it strongly enough, and trying to convince myself to stay, etc. It sucks and wastes everyone's time.

Here's how I think it worked for me - combination of - good timing, being the right person to find the right person, some luck/fate and being in a head space, in a place in my life, where I didn't need the thrill of the chase or "does he like me???" to keep me interested. I stayed the course, stayed interested, stayed reasonably sure (because yes, I did have some doubts at times- resolvable and more fleeting but sure!), and felt very deeply committed to us and to our future. I read about and hear about some of the things people want or think they want that have to do with sexual positions, looks/physical features and/or constantly having to feel over the moon on cloud nine and I simply cannot relate. Maybe I could in the past though. I am not "judging" -to each her own - and these are both married and single people with these concerns/complaints. Yes, I think my husband is cute and attractive, yes I think we probably could have more sex and yes we're parents and working our tails off and I'm probably perimenopausal. Life is not over the moon. I would not trade it for anything though - even though I have my moments as I assume everyone does (no not wanting to leave/divorce -I mean those unhappy/blah/drained moments ,etc).

So a little anecdote your mall encounter reminded me of. Around 12 years ago I was rushing to work but had to buy batteries. Stopped quickly at a local chain drugstore, and was perusing the batteries- finally finding the AAA. I hear a female voice behind me "what??? you're triple A??? I thought your bra size was 34 double A!!". Now I've always been a little too tolerant/trusting of strangers speaking to me in a store because I have that tourist magnet approachable face/demeanor even when I'm power walking lol - so from what I remember I was startled but actually answered her question (probably said something about batteries not bras!). Anyway I turn around and ..... it's my sister!! She had recently started working in the neighborhood, lived nowhere near me and just happened to be stopping off to buy something at the same time. Bizarre. Anyway she loved how I was so matter of fact ready to respond to her outrageous question. (yes if a male voice had made that comment -different response, I hope!)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Give Advice
Ask For Advice