Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 33343536

Thread: Finding me...

Went through the identical situation with my mom.
    Compression fracture, lower spine and discovering cancer.
    My thoughts are with you and your family

Thank you, Batya, luminousone, & reinvent.

Thankfully my dad just bought an iPhone before he was admitted into the hospital. Due to the Coronavirus we havenít been able to visit him as no one is allowed in. So, we set up his FaceTime today and chatted. Was so nice to see his face!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by milly007
    Thankfully my dad just bought an iPhone before he was admitted into the hospital. Due to the Coronavirus we havenít been able to visit him as no one is allowed in. So, we set up his FaceTime today and chatted. Was so nice to see his face!
    Oh I am so so glad!! Thinking of you and also thinking if it's spring like where you are I hope you get out for a walk/some air.

Iím moving tomorrow, so Iím in the midst of tying up some last minute loose ends.

While opening a small drawer to a table my parents gave me, I wanted to make sure there was nothing in it before the movers come to pick it up tomorrow. Inside was a lone penny. I havenít done this in years, but I picked it up, put it in my shoe, and made a wish. I forgot who taught me this, and how young I was when I heard it. But it canít hurt, right?

My dadís radiology oncologist told him that with radiation & chemo, he should be good to go for years. Is this guy just blowing hot air, I wonder, or do I have a hope to hold onto?

Iíve been FaceTiming with my dad a few times a day since yesterday. So thankful he bought his new iPhone before he found himself in the hospital. Between my dadís situation & the Coronavirus, this all feels very surreal.

My dadís talking about how he canít wait to drive his convertible this summer, and that itís going to be the best summer ever.

I love to hear his positivity.

My heart hurts though right now because Iím scared of the unknown and whatís to come.

Is it possible for some people to live a good quality, happy life after radiation & chemotherapy?

Iím not sure what to think right now.

My dad is saying heís going to be fine, and apparently heíll be coming home next Friday, after treatment, to stay with us while the hospital awaits his biopsy results & apparently it will be weeks before they commence chemo.

Iím unsure of what to expect when he comes home, as he will be having radiation, Monday - Friday, once a day for 20 minutes a day.

I already asked one of doctors about what to expect & she asked me to call them to discuss this next week.

Iím scared, guys.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by milly007
    My dadís radiology oncologist told him that with radiation & chemo, he should be good to go for years. Is this guy just blowing hot air, I wonder, or do I have a hope to hold onto?
    Just take everything doctors say with a grain of salt. You can only believe what the medical examinations show like MRI, biopsy etc. Doctors form opinions based on these results. And like in every job, some of them exert right judgment, some exert poor judgment, some don't even care.... That's why I believe it's important to get opinions from multiple doctors. If something a doctor said that doesn't make sense to you, ask more doctors.

I think the most important thing is to stop it before the metastasis. Why do you have to wait weeks before they commence chemo?

I am not a doctor apparently but as my mom's whole family was dismantled by cancer and I've lived the scene more than a couple of times, I suggest exerting common sense when dealing with medical issues.

Finger's crossed for your father. Hopefully he will recover fast. Take care milly.

Thank you for your input, dias.

I can assure you, no one is exercising more common sense than I am right now when it comes to my dadís situation.

Although Iíve never dealt with anything like this before (a loved one being treated with radiation & chemo), Iíve had so much experience assisting family & helping them navigate the health system that I feel confident in saying that I know what to do.

Thatís why this situation is difficult. My dadís tumor is inoperable & they can only shrink it and prevent it from growing at this point & kill of any further cancer cells (thatís if my dad responds to the radiation & chemo as weíre hoping he will).

I believe in second, third opinions as well. However various reasons prevent my family from taking him to a hospital 2 hours away including because he needs to be attended to ASAP, and the Coronavirus is obviously affecting the hospitals regular protocol, and the virus is much more serious, since they have a higher number of patients with CV, at the hospital 2 hours away.

I always give doctors opinions a grain of salt. In this case, although I know I have to do the same, I just want to believe that what my fatherís radiation oncologist is telling him is true - because itís positive. My dadís relying on what the dr says too, because letís face it, when youíre the patient in this situation, hope is what youíre relying on to get you through such a challenging situation, and that goes for the patientís loved ones, too.

I appreciate what you said, and I agree 100%.

How's it going over there, Milly?

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 33343536

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice