Ladies: have any of you fainted/passed out while on period?

milly007

I'm asking because last weekend, during the first day of my period, I decided to go shopping and run errands. I was feeling fine until I got into one store. I felt nauseous, light headed, and extremely warm. I began to break out in a sweat and felt very weak. Was talking to a service rep at the store and fell to the ground. Got up as quickly as I could while he paged the medics. First time this has ever happened.

I become almost hypoglycemic AND anemic just before and during my periods.

See your doctor and get some blood work done.

Then, the week before your period be sure to eat lots of iron-rich and protein-rich foods such as tuna, chicken, spinach, raisins, sardines, lean beef, broccoli and avocados. It helps me tremendously when I eat like this the week before and the week during.

Thanks, all. I got up as quickly as I could because I was mortified. I asked them not to call the medics. I proceeded to sit down in another area of the store and they grabbed me a bottle of water. They asked to mark my information down if by chance it happened again, so they could call an emergency contact, and if they could call an ambulance, but I declined.

I've had low iron in the past, so I keep an eye on my iron levels/consumption, but passing out has never happened before.

Will have to look into things further.

In the last year or two I've gotten dizzy when I am pms-ing. I just had bloodwork done last month -I am not anemic and was not anemic ever other than when I was pregnant and borderline anemic. I've never fainted but I have gotten woozy/lightheaded from period cramps. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you feel much better!!

This happened to my cousin. She had cramps, hadn't taken anything for it and passed out at work. She followed up with her doc who could find nothing wrong lab wise. Doc recommended she not let cramps get out of control. She takes an ibuprofen immediately upon onset and hasn't had that happen since. It's been about 3 years ago.

Go see your doc, get checked out. Pretty scary episode, I'd imagine!

@shessofly - It was scary. I live in a large city, so I technically walk everywhere or rely on a subway or streetcar for transportation. When you're wandering the city alone and feeling weak, you feel so helpless. Not only am I going to get checked out, but I know I'm going to be enjoying more rest time when my monthly friend arrives.

I've also been experiencing a ton of stress from work, etc., which I know may have contributed to what happened as well.

Just goes to show that self-care is so important.

Archived