Complicated friend losing husband

Bluebaldbold

I apologize in advance for a longish post. I have a friend who has 3 kids and one on the way. She and her husband just bought a house and moved in. She works as a waitress and puts in a lot of hours to support her family. She is a good mom and seems to have her head on her shoulders, but she recently confided in me that her husband was in a wreck and the person he hit head on died. Her husband is in the hospital and they say charges are pending. I suspect that he may have been drunk, and the guy he killed was only 19. She is an emotional wreck and doesn’t know what to do if they put her husband in jail. I don’t have much sympathy for him, but I don’t know all the facts either. I want to help her, because I don’t believe she deserves to go homeless just because her husband did something stupid. I would offer to put her up for a while until she gets on her feet, but I am going through cancer treatments and can’t afford to expose myself to her kids. We live in north Idaho, but I am not familiar with whatever resources she may have available where we live. I am at a loss and don’t know where to start, I would like to be able to point her towards an organization or something that could help her. I don’t know how badly hurt her husband is, nor how long he will be in the hospital before they decide to do something with him. I would appreciate any ideas, my heart hurts for her and her babies. Thank you.

While her husband is in the hospital she could let a nurse know that she's concerned about the family finances and they may arrange a social work consult. The social worker can point her toward services that may be helpful. That's how it worked when I was in the hospital at least.

Surely, a quick google search for support services in your area will yield results?

Archived