my girlfriend tried to hang herself because of me..

unknownuser164

i don't want to go into to much detail because i am so empty and dead inside... my girlfriend tried to kill herself because she though i still had feelings for my ex.. she tried to hang herself while on the phone with me.. i heard her choking and struggling for air.. i can't get it out of my head.. thankfully, she's alive.. she heard my voice and stopped.. but i can't get the sound of her choking out of my head.. it haunts me.. i can't lose her.. i don't know what to do.. i am emotionally broken and so dead inside.. someone please help me..

Her doing this to you is emotional abuse. It’s very manipulative.

Next time she does this notify the authorities immediately. In the meantime, tell her you’re concerned about her mental health and ask if you can help her find a therapist.

how is she abusing me though..? she said she felt like she wasn't good enough for me and she didn't want to live.. idk.. it just hurts me.. i can't feel anything anymore.. i feel like nothing.. i really need serious help..

I am sorry but I have to agree with above poster that what she did is extreme emotional abuse toward you and manipulation.

She needs psychiatric care and you need to step away from this relationship. She is not in a fit state of mind to be dating or involved with anyone. If you know her family, please contact them and let them know what happened. If she ever so much as threatens suicide again, please call for an ambulance and let the professionals address her issues. She really really needs help and shouldn't be in a relationship. If you care about her at all, you will need to be strong and step aside.

how is she abusing me though..?

it just hurts me.. i can't feel anything anymore.. i feel like nothing.. i really need serious help..

There's your answer.

The woman's ****ed up. Thing is she's not even having you sink with the ship. She's full on trying to pull you under so she can float.

how is she abusing me though..? she said she felt like she wasn't good enough for me and she didn't want to live.. idk.. it just hurts me.. i can't feel anything anymore.. i feel like nothing.. i really need serious help..

The psychological and emotional effect this had on you IS the abuse part. It is actually calculated to bring you to heel, for you to run to her, to proclaim your undying love to her, to be afraid to leave her, to force you to jump at her beck and call and bring you under her control by making you responsible for her self harming actions and therefore living in constant fear that she really will kill herself over you. It is pure manipulation and it is pathological. Bottom line is you are never responsible for what another person chooses to do to themselves.

I am sorry but I have to agree with above poster that what she did is extreme emotional abuse toward you and manipulation.

She needs psychiatric care and you need to step away from this relationship. She is not in a fit state of mind to be dating or involved with anyone. If you know her family, please contact them and let them know what happened. If she ever so much as threatens suicide again, please call for an ambulance and let the professionals address her issues. She really really needs help and shouldn't be in a relationship. If you care about her at all, you will need to be strong and step aside.

I agree call an ambulance, or even a family member of hers if it happens again. As an ex-self-harmer i have emotionally manipulated partners into blaming them for me harming. I had to learn that only I make myself harm and no one should ever be the person solely responsible for stopping me harming. She needs to find strategies to cope. You can help her think of them, but you cannot be one.

Sorry, but this isn't on you.

None of this is your fault!

She needs a psychiatrist, actually if it was a real attempt, and not acting, she needs an inpatient psych hold

to be evaluated. Call the police(911 here, but not sure where you are) and keep her on the phone.

This is very manipulative behavior in which she's seeking attention for you to feel guilt and pity

because in her mind, you have hurt her(you didn't, but it's what she perceives).

I had a BF hang himself on a trail we used to hike. He wasn't over his ex.

He didn't give any signs or make any attempts anyone knew of. He did research it at length.

Everything was on his computer. And he succeeded first attempt.

I know the guilt you feel, but please don't let this haunt you forever.

Get therapy for yourself to overcome this. You cannot deal with this alone.

Also, it's best to keep her at arms length a bit. You cannot be her emotional crutch.

OP

If she really wanted to harm herself it wouldn't be with you on the phone. It's sad to say but those serious about suicide do it when nobody is watching. If they did it while people were watching they would be helped. They know this so those who commit do it alone.

She was guilt tripping you and being very manipulative.

I wouldn't stand for it!

I would call the police or ambulance and like other posters said let them deal with her.

She was begging for your attention.

Still...suicide isn't something to take lightly and she should know this!

Lisa

i heard her choking and struggling for air.. i can't get it out of my head.. thankfully, she's alive.. she heard my voice and stopped..
How does one stop hanging themselves?

Is there a chance that she was faking this? If she was really serious she wouldn't be getting any air and she wouldn't be able to make any choking sounds.

Please get to your doctor for the proper referral to a professional that will help you get over the trauma you've suffered at the hands of your mentally ill girlfriend. Get yourself away from her and call the mental health unit and the police in her area if she does anything like that again. You can have her put in psychiatric lock down for 48 to 72 hours for threatening to harm herself like that and in those hours, hopefully they will be able to figure out what meds she should be on.

Adding a link:

damn.. you explained that so well.. sometimes i'm scared to express my negative feelings towards her because i'm afraid she might get suicidal.. everyone on here tells me to leave her.. but i love her so much. all my life i've felt worthless.. everyone has put me down. she's the only person who makes me happy.. who makes me push through the day and be strong.. idk.. i don't want to lose her..

damn.. you explained that so well.. sometimes i'm scared to express my negative feelings towards her because i'm afraid she might get suicidal.. everyone on here tells me to leave her.. but i love her so much. all my life i've felt worthless.. everyone has put me down. she's the only person who makes me happy.. who makes me push through the day and be strong.. idk.. i don't want to lose her..

There is a false sense of attachment here.

How could she possibly make you strong, when she's a hot mess herself?

You are not so very happy right now. She manipulated you, and now you are

carrying immense guilt. This is not healthy for you to stay in.

However, it's your life. Be certain to tell and encourage her to seek the help she

is so desperately in need of. You could benefit from exploring your own feelings

with therapy also, to make you complete, minus a relationship. You cannot rely

on anyone to make you happy,. You first need to be happy within yourself.

I think you would do well to read all you can on "White Knight Syndrome" because you, apparently, are suffering from it. If all of your life you've felt worthless then it would also do you well to get into therapy so that you learn to love yourself to the point that you wouldn't want to be involved with someone that would do such a manipulative thing to you. You've gotten yourself into a codependent relationship that won't do anything to help your self-worth when you are being emotionally abused by her.

• 1 month later...

Archived