Wanting to lose 5 pounds in the next 3 weeks

Been realising that I've been eating lots of fried food and junk food lately. Been feeling sluggish and have def gained weight. Currently only eating greens (cucumber, spinach and tomatoes) and chicken/salmon as meals. But when I eat out, I can eat whatever. Will be cutting out sugar and reducing gluten by at least 80%.

Current stats: 5'7

Weight: 123.5 last time I checked

Would be nice to get back to my old weight of around 104-6 but anything around 110 will be better.

Anyone keen on joining in can do so!

Currently have a smoothie for breakfast and a huge chicken salad for lunch. Might have lost 2lbs so far (been changing my eating habits for the past 2 weeks). Will be starting cardio in the next few days as well.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have respect for life and physical/mental wellbeing. Sometimes that doesn't jive with other people's goals for themselves and that's okay

Yeah, every body is different, but ICYMI anorexia is intentionally maintaining a BMI under 17.5 ... it is intentionally sabotaging your health for aesthetic gain. It doesn't matter if you eat healthy (orthorexia).

Speak to your doctor if you don't believe me they should be the one giving you weight loss advice

Right now in terms of nutrient levels, I'm eating healthier than most people, and it's at an adequate calorie level. I am quite knowledgeable about nutrition as well.

Bmi being so 'one size fits all' isn't the best way to judge someone because everybody's fat and muscle ratio is different. Just like some people have a smaller frame, whereas others aren't built that way.

Right now in terms of nutrient levels, I'm eating healthier than most people, and it's at an adequate calorie level. I am quite knowledgeable about nutrition as well.

Bmi being so 'one size fits all' isn't the best way to judge someone because everybody's fat and muscle ratio is different. Just like some people have a smaller frame, whereas others aren't built that way.

You don't have to justify it to me, I've been there. Still am in many ways. I have had several close friends with similar circumstances, also

BMI is only inaccurate if you're looking at a BMI of 25+ on someone who has considerable muscle mass

At a BMI of 16-17, it's nearly impossible to have a medically healthy amount of fat and muscle. If you have a healthy amount of muscle, you don't have enough fat and vice versa. If you have a BMI of 19-20 and drop your fat percentage while maintaining muscle mass to keep that BMI, that can be very healthy

Do as you will

But I don't think anyone here should be reinforcing your desire to get thinner. There's more to life

Oh I'll be eating more than those veges lol, I just didn't wanna list them all. I'm mostly just eating fruits, vegetables and some meat, and cutting down processed food as much as possible.

Tonight I had some pork belly, tofu and for dessert, some Greek yoghurt and strawberries.

Have been drinking more tea these days and the occasional coffee.

I would add strength training to your routine. Increasing your lean muscle mass fires up your metabolism, so you keep burning a little more even at rest. You can do a quick Google search to find no-equipment, body-weight exercises you can do at home.

Cardio is good too, but I have found that strength training is what really toned me up and leaned me out.

Great thanks guys, I'll be sure to incorporate some strength training if I can.

Breakfast: Egg white omelette with spinach and bits of chicken.

An orange

Lunch: A huge cucumber and tomato salad.

Will be having some nuts and strawberries as a snack in the afternoon.

Will most likely be going out for dinner.

I know I’ll have a lot of disagreement but unless you have celiac or are gluten sensitive as diagnosed by a doctor I’ve heard and read that gluten free is not good for other than those groups. And I agree that it sounds like you’re trying to be overly thin. Certainly eating healthy and increasing water intake is always good as well as getting enough exercise butvtryong to go far below a healthy weight is not. You can eat healthy and exercise with a goal of maintaining a healthy weight. I’d also avoid getting into a sitsjton where you binge or overeat just because you’re eating out - ive learned its far healthier in general to respond to actual hunger cues and to eat what feels right for your body at that time and to keep emotional eating or eating to be “bad” to a minimum if possible.

I would not pay attention to the number on the scale. According to that, you are at an excellent weight. I would pay attention to muscle tone and measurements. If you work on your muscle tone, you might look more slender though actually weight a lot more. I would cut out sugar and any fried and processed food. health - not weight

Thanks for the advice I think I'm cutting down on the gluten cos I love noodles and pasta, and feel that if I don't restrict the intake, I eat it too often and it sometimes makes me feel alittle bloated.

I will try to vary my consumption in the coming days. Just trying to keep processed carbs down and have the carbs I take be from fresh veges and fruit.

Been trying to up my protein levels some more, so might need to have a protein shake from now on.

I'm in the same boat as you! I was severely emetophobic which put me from 56kg to 44kg within two months ... Currently I am almost exactly the same height and weight as you , but my scales seem to remain at 112 pounds and I feel fat after being comfortable at 110 for two Years.. I have decided purely to cut down on portions but keep eating whatever as my motivation is not a strong virtue. All I remember when I lost the two stone was finishing mid meal due to panic attacks - very unhealthy but did a great deal for fast weight loss

Thanks for the advice I think I'm cutting down on the gluten cos I love noodles and pasta, and feel that if I don't restrict the intake, I eat it too often and it sometimes makes me feel alittle bloated.

I will try to vary my consumption in the coming days. Just trying to keep processed carbs down and have the carbs I take be from fresh veges and fruit.

Been trying to up my protein levels some more, so might need to have a protein shake from now on.

Yes- no issue limiting carbs if they make you feel bloated but I wouldn't focus on gluten free without a medical diagnosis.

Carbs get a bad rap. Simple carbs aren't the best but complex carbs (whole grains, potatoes, sweet potatoes) are pure energy for your body and it's basically impossible to overeat them because they fill your stomach before you take in too many calories. Plus the human body isn't very efficient at turning carbs to fat.

Oil is the real culprit. No fiber, no nutritional value, just highly concentrated, unfilling calories.

Carbs get a bad rap. Simple carbs aren't the best but complex carbs (whole grains, potatoes, sweet potatoes) are pure energy for your body and it's basically impossible to overeat them because they fill your stomach before you take in too many calories. Plus the human body isn't very efficient at turning carbs to fat.

Oil is the real culprit. No fiber, no nutritional value, just highly concentrated, unfilling calories.

I also get easily bloated by complex carbs as I get older. I eat whole grain and high fiber pasta and bread/grains (figured that is what she was referring to). I've also learned over the years that good fats are fine and not to avoid avocado, nuts, etc (and also because I've never had a weight problem just a borderline eating disorder many years ago).

What I think is problematic is when a slim person like the OP starts focusing too much on what she's eating, amounts and when - that can be fine - and it can trigger too much focus, approaching unhealthy focus/obsession. Especially if she takes an all or nothing approach and overeats or eats badly when she eats out -that also can trigger an unhealthy attachment to food and mess up true hunger cues (and especially during the holiday season).

I also get easily bloated by complex carbs as I get older. I eat whole grain and high fiber pasta and bread/grains (figured that is what she was referring to). I've also learned over the years that good fats are fine and not to avoid avocado, nuts, etc (and also because I've never had a weight problem just a borderline eating disorder many years ago).

What I think is problematic is when a slim person like the OP starts focusing too much on what she's eating, amounts and when - that can be fine - and it can trigger too much focus, approaching unhealthy focus/obsession. Especially if she takes an all or nothing approach and overeats or eats badly when she eats out -that also can trigger an unhealthy attachment to food and mess up true hunger cues (and especially during the holiday season).

Some avocado and nuts are fine--they are a whole food. I generally avoid them since they are rich and I put on weight easily but they are fine for most people.

I got pretty bloated when I switched to a starch-based diet at first until my body adjusted. The beauty of starches is that they are in the caloric sweet spot--fruits and especially vegetables don't quite have enough to get you through the day by themselves, meat, dairy, oil, etc. is a little too concentrated and easy to overeat. I think portioning is kind of crazy. If you just eat a healthy diet and trust your hunger drive which is natural like any other animal, eat food that is caloric enough (whole grains and potatoes) but not artificially rich people do fine. At least it works for me and a lot of other people.

I would only do the sweet potatoes in the potato family, as the others are loaded with starch.

Personally, I limit my bad carb (bread) to the morning if I am dieting. I do not eat pasta, rice or other grains, during this period.

Eating a balanced and healthy diet is key. I also do 40 mins. of cardio six days a week. You have to get out and move.

I would only do the sweet potatoes in the potato family, as the others are loaded with starch.

Personally, I limit my bad carb (bread) to the morning if I am dieting. I do not eat pasta, rice or other grains, during this period.

Eating a balanced and healthy diet is key. I also do 40 mins. of cardio six days a week. You have to get out and move.

Starch is good for you in it's whole form. Human beings are starchivores. Starch is what gave humans our large brains. I've lost over 40 pounds eating all the potatoes, brown rice, corn, and whole wheat pasta I want.

Some avocado and nuts are fine--they are a whole food. I generally avoid them since they are rich and I put on weight easily but they are fine for most people.

I got pretty bloated when I switched to a starch-based diet at first until my body adjusted. The beauty of starches is that they are in the caloric sweet spot--fruits and especially vegetables don't quite have enough to get you through the day by themselves, meat, dairy, oil, etc. is a little too concentrated and easy to overeat. I think portioning is kind of crazy. If you just eat a healthy diet and trust your hunger drive which is natural like any other animal, eat food that is caloric enough (whole grains and potatoes) but not artificially rich people do fine. At least it works for me and a lot of other people.

I do 30-35 minutes of cardio 7 days a week for the last 7 years and have been doing 4-7 days of cardio since the early 1980s (except for most of my pregnancy) . It is the one thing I know that helps me maintain a healthy weight and in the years I did more than 35 minutes (closer to an hour) it helped me lose weight. In addition, I move around a lot especially in the last 8 years by parenting a young child which is why I feel ok limiting my daily cardio to 30 minutes. Keep on moving and make that your typical way of life -and make drinking lots of water -plain water- maybe sparkling but mostly plain, no artificial stuff - a part of your daily life.

It's so strange to me there are still women who think starving themselves is cute. It's not. And at 27, it's time to get serious and think about the future. Not a New Years dress you are trying to fit into. Seriously.

The yo-yo eating and poor exercise habits will catch up with you. No strength training- you aren't worried about osteoporosis ? You don't care about being strong - just thin?

Archived