Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Insult From Friend

Hollyj
    Platinum Member

Insult From Friend

I need to know if I am being too reactionary to a comment made earlier today.

I met with a group of friends for lunch. After the lunch, we were all standing outside the restaurant saying our goodbyes. My one friend went in for a hug, and commented on how much weight i had lost - which I appreciated. He then went on to say that I was flat, and was motioning from the stomach to the chest. I was confused and asked what he meant. he stated that my chest was much flatter, and that I was like an Asian - I found this highly offensive, as I have many Asian friends. He is from Brazil. I told him what I thought of his comment, and that you never say something like this to a woman, and it was offensive. He made it out that I was making a big deal out of this situation, and that since we were friends, it was okay. I do not agree, and found it highly insulting, as you do not speak to people in this way - He is in his late 40's.

Thoughts?

agent
    Does he often say completely inappropriate things to people?

Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    Not that I have heard. I have only met a couple of his friends. His husband says that he can say some outrageous stuff to his friends in Brazil. But, those things are tacky jokes. You don't joke around about something that someone cannot change.

I know him from a one-to-one English conversation program. He was my former student. He was never like this. Always very sweet. There have some changes in personality within the last year (going to school and getting a new job. making positive changes in his life). With this, he has not been quite the same friend.
    Last edited by Hollyj; 12-03-2017 at 02:02 AM.

reinventmyself
    Not appropriate. He should have stopped with the compliment.
    But to go on further to infer about your breast size and make a racial generaliztion is just not ok.
    Glad you checked him.

Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reinventmyself [Register to see the link]
    Not appropriate. He should have stopped with the compliment.
    But to go on further to infer about your breast size and make a racial generaliztion is just no ok.
    Glad you checked him.
    Thanks.

Would you continue with the friendship?

reinventmyself
    Depends.
    I get he didn't back down but maybe with some reflection he might see it differently?
    Everyone's tolerance is different, Holly. This one's up to you.

Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reinventmyself [Register to see the link]
    Depends.
    I get he didn't back down but maybe with some reflection he might see it differently?
    Everyone's tolerance is different, Holly. This one's up to you.
    He won't. He made me feel foolish that I was upset. He will not admit that he was wrong, and that I am blowing it out of proportion. He doesn't admit to fault.

yatsue
    Silver Member
    While it was an inappropriate comment, if this is the only thing he has done I wouldn't just cut off the friendship. That is a little overdramatic. You said he was a good, nice guy besides this one incident and it doesn't really justify to not be friends anymore.

The more appropriate action would be to clearly state your boundaries and not let him minimize it. Tell him, I know you think it's not a big deal but do not say anything like that to me because it is offensive and not ok; to keep your comments to yourself next time. Overstepping boundaries on friendships do happen and some people value honesty over other people's feelings. Just make sure you get it clear you don't appreciate his honest word vomit.

Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatsue [Register to see the link]
    While it was an inappropriate comment, if this is the only thing he has done I wouldn't just cut off the friendship. That is a little overdramatic. You said he was a good, nice guy besides this one incident and it doesn't really justify to not be friends anymore.

The more appropriate action would be to clearly state your boundaries and not let him minimize it. Tell him, I know you think it's not a big deal but do not say anything like that to me because it is offensive and not ok; to keep your comments to yourself next time. Overstepping boundaries on friendships do happen and some people value honesty over other people's feelings. Just make sure you get it clear you don't appreciate his honest word vomit.
    Thank you, for your advice.

What if I state my position, again, and he still makes me feel foolish for feeling offended?

fivespot
    Gold Member
    It's wasn't a big deal. People need to stop this crap of getting so butthurt over every single little stupid "offensive" comment. Everything offends everybody these days.

I'm offended by people who get offended.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Top Threads
I decided not to accept my friend calls the remainder of the year
I am fed up now with her rudeness when it comes to text messaging. She is married and we usually talk on the phone when she is on her way home
I think my friend is in love with me, I really need help.
Dear friends at eNotAlone, Hello! Something has been bothering me for quite some time now, and I was googling to see if someone has had similar
Fight with a friend who happens to be a roomie.
Hello people, So, the other day my friend and I just fought over something. Actually she started to fight over something that I didn't even say to
My best friends ex
I donít know what to do with myself, I have been in love with a girl who I havenít got over from 2 years ago who cheated on me, she recently broke up
Advice Needed: Decided to Walk Away, but...
Hey Everyone, I'm want to keep this short, so here are some bullet points: [LIST] [*]Met girl (D) four months ago; [*]We are both living

Featured Threads
Red Flag if the guy on first date does not pay for my food?
A guys asked me out to a dinner and picked the restaurant. Toward the end, when the waiter came to drop off the bill, the waiter leaned toward the
narcissistic ex - help/ how to get back at him
So this is a post about a narcisisstic, immature ex. Not an ex boyfriend, not an ex boy, but something in between. It was something in between
University freshers fling?
[B]Hey there! [/B] Thank you so much for reading this. I just [I]REALLY [/I]need advice as it's SERIOUSLY affecting MY LIFE
Should you call out your ex when you find out they've been cheating on you?
Just some thoughts guys. Have you been cheated on? What did you do? Did you call your ex out on the lies and deceit? Or go on with your lives?
Ex is being so angry and hateful
I was in kind of relationship for almost 6-7 months but unexpectedly we broke up. He dumped. Just on a fight. Just day after our breakup. I went back
How to avoid checking up on ex social media?
Hi friends, Iím finding that posting here and seeing so many of us in the same boat is proving rather helpful in my own journey to move on. That
Break-up
Hi, I've recently just been broken up with by my girlfriend of two years, she has stated it wasn't all my fault and she is part to blame, but would
Ask For Advice