Need help dealing with my mother.

Alyssar0se88

I have a question about my mother. Let me start off by saying I love my mother so much and would do anything I could for her. I am currently living with my husband and my in-laws ( temporarily). My mother has been going through a rough time lately , my step-dad left - she never worked I was young and in college at the time so we couldn't afford to pay the rent there or anywhere else this was about 6 yes ago. She recently moved, rented a room from a guy she met on Craigslist, she has been there about 5 months and now she's always complaining about him , talking about the way he treats her but she does that with everybody she lives with- she tends to play the victim. Recently she's been saying he wants her out. She asked if she can stay at my in-laws ,we initially told her Dec 1st but I don't think my husband wants her here , he keeps saying she can move in but when the time comes he just makes all types of excuses. My family is coming to me saying don't tell her you're going to do something and not do it. I have no issue with her staying here but this is not my house . I don't even want to stay here. My mother is getting very upset and tells me all these stories about the man she's staying with making me feel bad but there's nothing I can do. She doesn't really have anybody else but this situation is out of my hands. If it was my place I would've been let come stay. I'm just feeling so guilty and I feel upset because it looks like I'm telling my mom she can move in but then it never happens because like I said there's always an excuse. I would give my mom The world if I could but I just feel so terrible because I can't force anybody to let her move in. I need to know how other people would feel in this situation and how they would handle it.

You have to tell your mom the truth, she cannot move in with the in-laws. Frankly, even if they agreed to it, it sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially if she has a history of not getting along with people. It could end up doing irreparable damage to the relationship between the two families.

She's in an unfortunate position and you would clearly help her out if you could. She needs to find a new apartment soon before she is kicked out on the streets. Does she receive any support or have a job?

Sadly, we can't always rescue the people we love. But do tell her the truth as soon as possible.

Archived