Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend doesn't take my anxiety issues seriously

OneIndianGuy

Girlfriend doesn't take my anxiety issues seriously

Let's call her X.

I have severe anxiety issues, specially regarding the people I care about. Which is why I tell her to notify me whenever she goes anywhere. She can do whatever she wants, no boundations, but she should just drop a message. If she's getting late to call, she just has to send a message, and I'll wait. All this is because my anxiety has messed up my head, and I care for her a bit too much and often think the worst when she doesn't pick my calls on time. Not that she's cheating on me worse, but she may not be okay kind of worse.

I have been trying to tell this for about 18 months now. She always keeps forgetting it, and when I get upset because of it, she just acts like it is no big deal. Sure, it may not be a big deal for her. But what about me?
    Can't someone do only this much for the person they love? just drop a simple message?

Stuff like this makes me mad, then we fight, then my anxiety kicks in, saying that she will probably leave me like everyone else has, and I will die alone, and I just get worse with every passing moment. I often do not sleep at night, and now I have gone for about 60 hours without sleep due to my anxiety.

How do I convince her that it is important to me? I know it may not be that big a deal for her, but it is for me.

rosephase
    You can't put your issues on to your partner. These are YOUR ISSUES to work out. It's not her job. You can ask for support. But it's up to you to deal with your anxiety and insecurity.

updating your partner about where you are all the time isn't a rational expectation.

shessofly
    Platinum Member
    Are you seeking help for your anxiety ? You are putting a lot of pressure on your gf to work around your issues.

reinventmyself
    If she accommodates to your insecurities (instead of you overcoming them) then she's just reinforcing them.
    What are you doing to correct this problem, outside of making it hers to deal with?

IAmFCA
    As simple as this request seems to you, it is not so simple to her.

As simple as it seems to her that she can travel without making periodic texts all day long, it does not seem simple to you.

You two are at an impasse. No, she is not obligated to do this thing you've characterized as easy and yet after 18 months isn't happening -- so it isn't easy, is it?

You need to accept each other as-is. If your anxiety is who you are, then your concerns are rational to you. You do not need to be freed of the anxiety. Instead, accept that part of yourself. When you feel anxious, accept it and ride it out. That is your responsibility for being who you are.

j.man
    Handle your own ****. It's not her job to placate your insecurities.

yatsue
    Silver Member
    Yeah that is not an ok thing to demand from your partner. Do YOU update her on everywhere you go? I mean, literally everywhere?? If not, you are also a hypocrite, thinking you can hold her to a double standard. I'm not saying you should have to update someone on your whereabouts at all times (no one should unless you're on parol) but to expect a person to do something and even you aren't doing it looks bad. You're treating her like a criminal who just got out of jail.

If you requested that she tells you about extended/out of the area visits or vacations, then that's normal. For every place she goes...you have issues she should not have to deal with. If you are losing sleep and feeling highly anxious about this, you really need to see a therapist. This is not normal.

IAmFCA
    Quote Originally Posted by yatsue [Register to see the link]
    Yeah that is not an ok thing to demand from your partner. Do YOU update her on everywhere you go? I mean, literally everywhere?? If not, you are also a hypocrite, thinking you can hold her to a double standard. I'm not saying you should have to update someone on your whereabouts at all times (no one should unless you're on parol) but to expect a person to do something and even you aren't doing it looks bad. You're treating her like a criminal who just got out of jail.

If you requested that she tells you about extended/out of the area visits or vacations, then that's normal. For every place she goes...you have issues she should not have to deal with. If you are losing sleep and feeling highly anxious about this, you really need to see a therapist. This is not normal.
    I disagree that each needs to treat the other the same; rather, each according to each ones capacity.

Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    Are you on meds?

Wiseman2
    Sorry but having to report to you may come off as controlling. Anyone would rebel when someone tries to put such a tight leash on them, regardless of the rationale. She should not have to suffer through this when it's your responsibility to get appropriate treatment and management of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneIndianGuy [Register to see the link]
    I tell her to notify me whenever she goes anywhere. I have been trying to tell this for about 18 months now. Stuff like this makes me mad, then we fight, then my anxiety kicks in, saying that she will probably leave me like everyone else has, and I will die alone, and I just get worse with every passing moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
Feeling guilty about going on dating sites
So, here I am having some actual fun looking at dating sites and texting with 4 men (haven't met anyone yet, but plans are in motion.). And still
Crying to emotions that i dont think someone else actually cries too
So,im generally emotional,its not something worrying and i know people who are way more emotional than me,but what ive actually noticed is that i cry
Is it something to feel guilty about?
My boyfriend and I met about 2 years ago on Tinder. I honestly wasnít looking for anything serious. About a week before actually meeting him in
Feeling alone and Confused
I already feel a relief just for being here writing to everyone. I have been living in UK for the past 2 years, I donít have many friends over here
I feel like an outsider in my own family
I'm 20 years old and I still live with my parents. Back in 2015 my parents decided to move my sisters boyfriend into our house which meant me also
How can I build more self esteem and have a grounded sense of my relationships?
Iím in my early twenties, but I have only recently realized that I have either recently developed self-esteem issues or always had hidden self-esteem
Is it fear?
So.....I had this dream last night...(I sometimes dream about things before they happen) in the dream there was a iPhone screen..him and I were

Featured Threads
Red Flag if the guy on first date does not pay for my food?
A guys asked me out to a dinner and picked the restaurant. Toward the end, when the waiter came to drop off the bill, the waiter leaned toward the
narcissistic ex - help/ how to get back at him
So this is a post about a narcisisstic, immature ex. Not an ex boyfriend, not an ex boy, but something in between. It was something in between
University freshers fling?
[B]Hey there! [/B] Thank you so much for reading this. I just [I]REALLY [/I]need advice as it's SERIOUSLY affecting MY LIFE
Should you call out your ex when you find out they've been cheating on you?
Just some thoughts guys. Have you been cheated on? What did you do? Did you call your ex out on the lies and deceit? Or go on with your lives?
Ex is being so angry and hateful
I was in kind of relationship for almost 6-7 months but unexpectedly we broke up. He dumped. Just on a fight. Just day after our breakup. I went back
How to avoid checking up on ex social media?
Hi friends, Iím finding that posting here and seeing so many of us in the same boat is proving rather helpful in my own journey to move on. That
Break-up
Hi, I've recently just been broken up with by my girlfriend of two years, she has stated it wasn't all my fault and she is part to blame, but would
Ask For Advice