Says she's going on a date - advice needed!

kilkennyblue

I recently met a girl on my university course who I've been talking to for four or five weeks via Facebook/Snapchat and of course in class. We have a lot in common and have been out a few times in a group but not on a one-to-one basis - I haven't been able to pluck up the courage to ask her.

The last week or so we've been talking a lot every day, she's been initiating a lot of conversation and taking an interest in me, sending pictures of what she's doing - I took this as an indication that she may be interested. Yesterday she carried this on and then slipped into conversation that that she was going on a dinner date, which really confused me. I've no idea why she would tell me that unless she isn't interested, but her signals are incredibly mixed. After telling me that she said that she'd maybe get drunk and turn up at my house afterwards.

One thing I remember her telling me a few weeks ago randomly was that she's "needy". At the time I thought that was a nothing comment, but maybe this has something to do with it? All in all I'm very confused by her and really like her, but don't want to be messed around. Any advice or means of explaining her behaviour would be great. Would a girl tell me she was going on a date if she was interested in me?

She most likely likes the attention you give her.

Getting involved with a needy girl has its own set of issues.

Is that what you want?

I would never tell a guy I like that I'm going on a date.

However some will to try to invoke a little jealousy. I hate those games.

Her saying she might show up at your house after seems like she's wanting you to ask her though.

So..... I'd take the risk

I recently met a girl on my university course who I've been talking to for four or five weeks via Facebook/Snapchat and of course in class.

Hi Kilkenny.

You're taking too long. Why four or five weeks?

We have a lot in common and have been out a few times in a group but not on a one-to-one basis - I haven't been able to pluck up the courage to ask her.

You are already justifying your interest. "We have a lot in common". So what? She might not care about that at all. It's without meaning. The real information is in the second part. Why is it taking courage to ask her out? You're literally just going to ask her out on a date. Are you afraid of the answer? Maybe you already know the answer and that's what you're afraid of?

You're taking way too long and it's apparent. Not just because you said it's been four or five weeks, but because you're already so attached that you're afraid of the rejection. This is a huge error on your part. If you're always going to get attached before you find out whether or not you have a shot with someone then you're purposefully walking into a minefield. Are you trying to get hurt? Not only that, but it's dishonest towards her. The more you hang out with her under the pretense of "just friends" when you want more, the more you're lying to her.

Ask her out. You want to make it a habit to ask a girl out EARLY ON. I'm not suggesting you walk up to a stranger and say, "Hey, give me your number!" as your opener, but geez man... if you meet a girl and you have a good conversation and you think she's interesting... before you leave that night ask her for her number and tell her you'd like to call her sometime. Start off on the right foot, honestly.

The last week or so we've been talking a lot every day, she's been initiating a lot of conversation and taking an interest in me, sending pictures of what she's doing - I took this as an indication that she may be interested.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe she likes the attention and you're not asking for anything in return so it's free attention and validation. Who knows? It sounds to me like you're walking yourself into the friendzone. After all, all you've described so far is platonic relations. Nothing you've described suggests you've done anything but send her signals that you're going to play in the friendship sandbox. Right this ship ASAP. Make it clear that you're not interested in platonic relations, that you'd like to take her out on a date instead. And do that by asking her out on a danged date.

Yesterday she carried this on and then slipped into conversation that that she was going on a dinner date, which really confused me.

Why is that confusing? I think you're being confusing. You're interested in going out with her but instead you're sending her platonic friendship signals over and over and over. And those are false signals. You don't want to be platonic friends, you want more. So who is confusing? You are. Ask her out.

I've no idea why she would tell me that unless she isn't interested, but her signals are incredibly mixed.

Pot, meet kettle.

After telling me that she said that she'd maybe get drunk and turn up at my house afterwards.

And what did you say? Did you sit there like a confused puppy? Why not respond with, "Well... ditch that date and let me take you out that way you don't have to bother turning up. I'll already be there."

One thing I remember her telling me a few weeks ago randomly was that she's "needy". At the time I thought that was a nothing comment, but maybe this has something to do with it? All in all I'm very confused by her and really like her, but don't want to be messed around. Any advice or means of explaining her behaviour would be great. Would a girl tell me she was going on a date if she was interested in me?

Dude, you seriously over think everything. I see next to zero initiative on your part and tons of second guessing and inaction. Can you see the problem here?

Archived