Pregnancy causing lack of intimacy ..

avaATL

I am almost 7 months along in my pregnancy. Me and my boyfriend are currently living apart in different cities due to work and living arrangements and have been for the past year and a half (obviously this baby on the way was a "surprise" but we are both welcoming with open arms). We only see each other once a week sometimes less depending on his busy work schedule. Anyways before my pregnancy we would have sex multiple times every time we saw each other . Back when we lived in the same city it was the same - lots of it every time. Since I've been pregnant I can count the number of times it has happened.

It seems the extra blood flow and pressure has caused me to close up down there which makes it sometimes difficult to even get momentum and I can tell he is always freaked out he is going to hurt me or the baby . and now I am putting on the lbs (was in shape to begin with but have put on probably 15 lbs this far in) and I think he may not be attracted to me Its totally gutting me because I want us to have this closeness and intimacy achieved through sex but I don't feel like my usual sexual self.

He never complains and I please him in other ways to make up for it but last time was the worst.. I felt a lot of pressure and noticed some blood which made me burst into TEARS halfway through I don't even know why I started crying I just freaked out and I am not used to constantly being so aware of my body as I am while pregnant.

Now I'm sure he probably is even more scared to even try having sex but I want to try again. I'm just worried he will not want to try again for the remaining 3 months plus recovety period afterwards I just can't wait that long ... I'm sure my crying episode was a put off but I want to still be able to enjoy intimacy despite this big belly !! Any suggestions or people who've been through this experience ..

It's not an uncommon theme for guys to back off a bit sexually. There's the "afraid to hurt her and the baby" aspect, but there's also the factor of "my kid is in the same anatomical vicinity as my penis while I'm banging her." It's a bit irrational, but I think understandable. Now that you've got you breaking out crying in the middle of sex to add to it, I might start to consider his boner sufficiently killed until until the babe pops out and once things get relatively settled. No real telling when that would be as, unfortunately, while there are obviously exceptions, pregnancy and the immediate aftermath of taking care of a newborn aren't exactly regarded as sexual relationship enhancers. Luckily, by your own account, this does seem to be legitimately isolated to the pregnancy.

How is he with non-sexual forms of physical intimacy?

You are coming to the end of your pregnancy. I don't think there is a problem -- unless you are bleeding. You need to put the baby first and it may mean that sex is not frequent because your body is saying no. Hormones are changing and you may get emotional over things. It happens. DOn't have sex if it makes you bleed. Look forward to the baby coming in a few weeks - give or take - 8 or so? 9?

I gained 32 pounds during my pregnancy and probably more than 15 by my 7th month and my partner and I were long distance (although not a surprise pregnancy). Lost it within 5 months post-birth, lost more even though I didn't have to as a busy full time mom. Certainly if sex is painful -don't. Baby and you come first -your comfort. I really have no patience for any complaints he might have about your weight gain. He made this baby with you (and even if a surprise, he took the same risks that he'd get you pregnant as you did). Sure he can feel what he feels but I hope he chooses not to act on it by treating you differently. Maybe suggest a foot or back massage and don't be so focused on full on sex for now.

Archived