Europe trip

Hey everyone

I recently broke up with my ex. We are still very good friends and live in the same place just separate rooms. When we were still together we booked an 18 day trip across Europe. We tried getting our money back and the airline won't budge. She still wants to go just as friends, is that a bad idea?

Its not a plan of getting back together cause that will never happen! We are good friends, though im faced with the option as well of getting a place of my own or taking that money and putting it towards Europe which is about another 3g then moving out in February/March instead of over the next week or 2

Maybe he cant afford to just lose the cost of the airfare and any other money he's put out for the trip. If these two dont have hotels booked then they can get separate rooms or separate hotels when they get there, which might make things easier for them. Then they'd only be on the plane at the same time if they are not capable of traveling together. They could get seats on the plane that are several rows apart.

Other catch would be we would both be together the majority of the time

That's too bad especially since you are essentially single now.

I've traveled through Europe several times and much of the fun comes from meeting and interacting with the locals, who for you includes local women.

And if the opportunity presents itself to go out, or have sex, your ex will obviously prevent this from happening, unless you are truly just "good friends" and have an understanding.

I still think it will stifle your experiences though.

Your mindset will be different, more about having different experiences, meeting people, soaking in the culture.

Best to experience this alone or with a good male friend. Whom you are not obligated to be with 24/7.

Unless you are in a relationship, which is whole different thing. But you're not, you broke up. You're single.

Why not talk to your ex and explain this. SHE may think it's a good opp to get bsck together.

Once she knows you will want to go out alone, meet, date, possibly have sex with others she might change her tune.

Perhaps then she will suggest you buy her share out and then you can find a male friend to buy and go with you.

Or sell on the net or something and go alone.

It's your money, OP. Decide what you'd be happier doing between going on the trip anyway or staying at home and putting the 3g into savings or splurging. The money for the tickets is gone whether you go or not. It's a matter of how much more you're willing to part with actually going on the trip. Honestly, the only person who can best answer this question is you.

I am surprised that the airline isn't at the very least willing to give you a voucher / credit for later use through them, even if it's just for a fraction of the original airfare.

It's your money, OP. Decide what you'd be happier doing between going on the trip anyway or staying at home and putting the 3g into savings or splurging. The money for the tickets is gone whether you go or not. It's a matter of how much more you're willing to part with actually going on the trip. Honestly, the only person who can best answer this question is you.

I am surprised that the airline isn't at the very least willing to give you a voucher / credit for later use through them, even if it's just for a fraction of the original airfare.

I am surprised by this too. Even if you purchased non-refundable tickets, most airlines usually offer a credit towards a future trip.

Which you can then take separately.

By the way, who looked into getting the refund? You or your ex?

If it was your ex, something isn't jiving.

You may think you are just good friends, but as I said before, she may have other ideas.

I was the one that looked into it and spent countless hours trying but the most they would do was give the taxes back.

My big question is if she is trying to use this to get back together, I would love to, but if she was not I would probably end up hating her for the rest of my life

I was the one that looked into it and spent countless hours trying but the most they would do was give the taxes back.

My big question is if she is trying to use this to get back together, I would love to, but if she was not I would probably end up hating her for the rest of my life

So YOU want to get back together?

Ok this changes things.

Why not cut to the chase and ask "before" the trip?

If she doesn't feel same, then definitely cancel trip.

I'm sure she will understand, considering how you feel.

Either she can buy out your 50% share and take a friend or vice versa.

I would go as a "rocking duo" rather than "as an ex couple". Get together and holidays with ex's are just too much fun, if of course you left on kind of amicable terms. It is like having a holiday with your best friend. No obligations, nothing at all.

Just go and enjoy. Don't think of getting back together, have fun and she feels great with you again chances are that she may want you back. If things go bad, just mingle with local girls, for that sense of sweet revenge that you may want to feel

Your whole approach to this is flawed.

Your only obligation at this point is to be on a plane near her. You can pick seats apart and avoid each other. Then... separate.

It's called hosteling. Go around Europe and get a room from $6-$45 a night. Meet locals. And avoid her.

Quoting because this wasn't acknowledged...

Archived