Kidney pain with no kidney stones?

I've had a very strange and alarming pain in my left kidney for the past five years. I'm 24 and have had a fair few years of UTIs which were untreated as I was very heavy on coffee and alcohol during university. I lost a ton of weight from 2015 and was 44kg at 5'8 foot. I managed to gain 14 pounds and feel better in general but... The kidney has been more frequent this year. It is around a 6/10 scale and comes at the most RANDOM times.

I finally got to get a scan today with a good doc who performed a lengthy ultrasound on my right and left kidneys and my bladder. He kept telling me everything was good and normal but that I clearly had a bad past with UTIs .. I know nothing about kidneys but had a quick look at the screen to see a few little glittery things and asked him if they were stones... He told me not to worry about stones and more about catching another UTI despite the fact that I'm clear from them currently.

Anyone got any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Late response sorry ThatwasThen , the ultrasound guy had a short temper and was scary and kept telling me not to worry.

However, after consulting a brilliant new doctor , she said it almost sounds muscular, or as if it could be my pipes as a result of mild bladder inflammation.

She also arranged for me to have a CT scan which I'll be eternally grateful for.

The pain has eased off despite the fact that I haven't even drank much this week, we shall see

Late response sorry ThatwasThen , the ultrasound guy had a short temper and was scary and kept telling me not to worry.

However, after consulting a brilliant new doctor , she said it almost sounds muscular, or as if it could be my pipes as a result of mild bladder inflammation.

She also arranged for me to have a CT scan which I'll be eternally grateful for.

The pain has eased off despite the fact that I haven't even drank much this week, we shall see

Well, the ultra sound guy isn't allowed to give you the results. He would send them to your doctor who would relay them to you. In any even it's good to hear you're being looked after.

Archived