How to make new girl friends

thornz

Morning,

I’m a single female, in a new area, made some cool guy friends and one girl friend but she was drama so I binned her off. Got a few other girl friends locally but they’re both foreign and will leave back to their own country soon.

I’m a real tomboy and have always had close male friends but only one long term close female friend. I am going through a very sad down patch after falling out with the girl friend I made recently and realised just how important close female bonds are.

My male friends are also all eligible bachelors, decent guys from what I know. I’d like to make some new female friends for myself and hopefully they will have female friends of their own who are single and nice girls to introduce to my guy friends.

How the hell do I approach women to get to know them without being a creep? I do mostly activities where women are few and far between. One of the guys suggested “day game” to get chatting to new girls in the area, doesn’t seem like such a terrible idea. Could transfer the date approach to getting to know women and see if we click and there’s potential for friendship?

Considering chatting to girls at checkouts in the local coffee shops and supermarkets? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Also thinking of what questions to open with and get to know someone a little bit as I suck at small talk lol

I am in the same boat as you are. My best friend died (suicide) right before summer and I have drifted from several other friends. I do not have any female friends left and only have three very close male friends... so Im just like you. I am apart of a muscle car group that I meet with bi-weekly, and it's mostly all men. I'm just the "honorary guy" in that club (they found me and asked me to join... and I did because I'm a Motörhead LOL).

What I'm trying to do now is do some women only meetup groups. I'm using Meetup.com to join local women and do activities that are if relevant interests (politics, volunteerism, night outs, etc). I just started it to be honest, and it's going ok... just haven't had the full opportunity to open up to people yet because I've only been to 2-3 casual meet ups. Time and work take a toll on my schedule.

Personally I am not a talker. I think cold talk to random people at a grocery store is just bizarre to me to meet someone. Most people who grocery shop are there to run an errand get the hell home. Try to find a casual setting... like a bar.

Don’t be afraid to compliment someone - that’s a great ice breaker.

Several years ago I stopped by a new Starbucks that had just opened up in the area. When the barista turned around to get my drink, I noticed her hair up in a bun. When she came back with my drink, I said “Good lord! Your bun is absolutely magnificent! Your hair must be at LEAST classic length.” Her face lit up and she said “Yeah good guess! It’s actually almost to my knees”. I said “I knew it!” and then proceeded to share with her that MY own hair was past my butt. Turns out we even frequented the same sites online for long hair care. We’ve been friends ever since, and get together from time to time as our schedules allow. All because I threw out a random compliment!

You’d be surprised at where you can connect with people. Just allow yourself to be open to random opportunity. Agree that Meetup.com is also good. Or local classes, maybe even at the gym?

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone, I actually run my own meet up group that I started recently to make new friends in the area that I moved to. I’ve had success but mostly with guys. I have tried to add events that might appeal to more women so we shall see how that works out!

I also decided to start going to Ladies only swimming every other Monday and I’m going on a girls night out via meetup. It’s in another city which isn’t ideal but maybe I will make some good friends there?

Archived