LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After a disagreement...

After a disagreement...

Does it matter if 1 partner always initiates communication after an argument?

Platinum Member
    Well surely it is a good thing , cos if neither did then stale mate has commenced ..or have I read it wrong

Context matters. Who's regularly starting the arguments, over what, how one or both behaved during it, etc. To be honest, if you're arguing enough you can actually notice something like who's the one who initiates conversation after, that's its own and much more important big problem.

Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    Well surely it is a good thing , cos if neither did then stale mate has commenced ..or have I read it wrong
    I see what you mean because that's a breakdown in communication. I meant, if one partner always initiates communication after an argument but feels it's not fair that he/she always has to be the one to do it.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by hotcocoa954
    I see what you mean because that's a breakdown in communication. I meant, if one partner always initiates communication after an argument but feels it's not fair that he/she always has to be the one to do it.
    ahh well I think that is what j is getting at ...

It should really be the person who instigated it , but it never works out that simply

Are you always apologising to keep the peace ?

ahh well I think that is what j is getting at ...

It should really be the person who instigated it , but it never works out that simply

Are you always apologising to keep the peace ?
    Actually I'm the one who waits for him to initiate communication LOL. If we have a disagreement and I feel uncomfortable I usually pull back. He then reestablishes communication (usually within 24 hours) but I do that because I'm rarely the one starting/pointing out an issue. But I'm also not as expressive as he is. He said it makes him feel like he always has to chase me and that I'm ready to give up if things get tough. I thought I communicated a lot better than this LOL!

Platinum Member
    haha oh well I like your honesty

What are the answers to his queries ? would you ever initiate ? How far would you let this go on ? Would you actually walk away if you didn't hear from him ?

Platinum Member
    i think that it's something to be discussed when you're both calm and the person who might feel resentful about it should bring it up.

haha oh well I like your honesty

What are the answers to his queries ? would you ever initiate ? How far would you let this go on ? Would you actually walk away if you didn't hear from him ?

I can initiate, but I assume that his response will be words in aggravation or anger (which may not actually be the case) and I try to avoid that at all costs.

I can be honest and say that I probably would let it drag out over a few days (probably 3 or more), which isn't good.

Would I walk away? No, but if I didn't hear from him, and waited days but by the time I reached out he got fed up and broke up or didn't respond, I'd be devastated. So basically, this could be avoided by not waiting for him to initiate all the time.

These were such great questions and really made me realize I need to take a closer look at how I communicate in a relationship. I'm lucky that he's such a great communicator and can express how my actions affect his feelings so well. I think I have to confront that I need to stop thinking that just because he may be aggravated or angry with me about something doesn't mean he's going to leave.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    i think that it's something to be discussed when you're both calm and the person who might feel resentful about it should bring it up.
    That's what I thought too (that and I don't want to have to hear an angry response), but apparently he needs someone to "talk him down" so to speak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice