Family tearing apart

Gggg

We just moved from a place where we had been living since we were very little and our, usually close, happy family, is tearing apart. So my sis is really struggling with school and my parents are constantly fighting with her literally when I go to bed to when I wake. I usually avoid it but it’s really getting on my nerves. My dad is on many long business trips to adjust to the new job so it’s been tough without him around. My mom has had some drinking issues and has help but needs time and support from the family which I’m not positive she’s getting enough of. I, have always been a really good student in all subjects and most subjects I still am but I accidentally didn’t do an assignment and landed myself an F on a term report. I’m really struggling to balance social, family issues and school work. I miss how easy life used to be and feel like I’m not anything anymore. Like I’m floating around an empty void or something I dont really know. My new life is pretty routine like nothing ever happens. I’ve never really been good with talking about personal things and ‘reaching out’ or anything and would prefer to keep family matters private rather than turning to a friend. I don’t really know what to do anymore so here I am. Help?

Im not a professional, but I'll do my best to help. If you're family used to be close, you probably used to rely on them a lot more. My guess is that you were pretty close to your dad. Its a hard transition from super close to what you're now dealing with. First, as hard as it is, you have to accept that as you get older, things will get harder. I don't know how old you are, but things will continue to beat you down and try to take away your happiness. But don't accept that you are sad. Just remember that no one gets through life without resistance, and you are in control of your actions. Even if things will get harder, you can get stronger. You could be the thing that keeps your family together. It won't be easy, but if you try to see from your family's point of view and try to help them, you'll give them confidence. It won't be quick. Be patient with them. But the result is well worth it. And as you heal them by just staying positive and kind, you'll start to feel more at peace. You have control. No one and nothing can MAKE you sad. You cannot allow situations to take away your happiness. That will be just handing power to the adversary on a silver platter. You can decide to be happy or sad. Never choose sad, even if its the hardest choice in the world. And as for your grades, that's not a problem you can immediately fix. Take it easy. Give yourself breaks. If you need to confide in someone, do it. I know from experience that its hard. REALLY hard. But your not perfect. We all need help sometimes. And if you need any more help, I'm open. I don't know you, but I love you already. I wish I could give you a hug, to let you know that I'm on your side and I know what your going through. Your probably not religious, but you don't have to be. Listen to some talks in the LDS General Conference. And if you don't feel up to it, that's fine, too. You can ask me. You can do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived