Emotionally Abusive BF?

xoxojenny181

I have been with my BF for about 10 months. When we are in a good mood we have the best time ever and we are happy as can be. We continue to have arguments about past problems that he had lied about. Or just problems in general in the relationship and everytime i tell him how i am feeling he thinks its a competition and thinks im attacking him or he gets offended and instead of talking about what i just brought up he bring up something else. Ive tried talking in a calm voice i tried everything and still he avoids trying to talk about the things that he does that bother me. I finally realized he has a very narcissist behavior. When i try to say what i did wrong and admit and apologize for my mistakes i then tell him his mistakes but he gets upset. He hates hearing his mistakes and wont even bring them up himself. He only wants to focus on my mistakes and make me feel like a horrible person. He wants to be right all the time. Ive told him countless times to stop doing certain things and he continues. He gives me empty promises and empty apologies and goes back to it. He says things like u deserve to be yelled at and this is all your fault. Its gotten to the point where my self esteem is crushed and i feel depressed. Its really hard not to get upset when he continues to say he will change but continues to do the same behavior that bothers me. He thinks i should just take it and i cannot be mad that his promises were empty. I dont know what to do i really love him but he is very mentally abusive to me. I am also disappointed in myself because i let his mistakes take over. I let his habits get to me which made me lash out and make me look like a horrible person by yelling. But in reality im just sick and tired of being emotionally abused and being taken advantage of. Everytime we have a big argument he says its all my fault and i put this upon myself and he never says it was his fault or part of it was his fault. He continues to say things like you lost me you are the problem not me and says goodbye over and over when i am hurt and crying. He never calls me back till a day later to see it if im ok. I tell him to stop i dont argue back when he is saying these things but he doesnt. Even when i just sit there and cry he talks over me and stand over me and talks to me in that way. Last night this happened and i feel alone and at fault for everything. I dont know if i should give it time or just block this toxic person. He doesnt seem to understand his wrongs this has happened A LOT. And everytime he acts the same. Im heartbroken and sad and feel so naive and foolish for ever thinking he will change and giving him chance after chance and just being left in the dumps, sad and depressed. I’d like to think i am a good person who gives people chances to change. I say my feelings because its a relationship and i have a right to. I feel like im being manipulated and used for just good times. Ive told him he is making me feel worthless, hopeless, and lesser than. It seems like he doesnt want to be there during the bad times. But it takes 2 to make a relationship work. I cant do this on my own. I need him to also work on himself. I just want other peoples opinion on this topic since its really hard for me at the moment. I am hurt and feel heartbroken that someone that shows you so much love can treat you so badly as well. I love him and care about him dearly and he says he loves me as well but im not sure why he treats me this way. I dont understand why its so hard to “change” Sorry for the long post just a lot on my mind right now. Are others going thru this or have gone thru this? What did u do? How was your experience?

My ex ex was like this. I was with him 3 years, on and off. I look back at that relationship, and ask myself what I was thinking and why I stayed. I wasn't happy (apart from the good times, like you say). You will do the same one day. It might seem to make sense to stay now, but trust me, to everyone outside of the situation and your future self, it makes ZERO sense. He will not change. That is the first thing I need to make clear here. Do not count on him to change. He has shown you no desire or willingness or ability to change countless times. So what is making you think that he will? He won't. Second thing: you should not be in a relationship that is a rollercoaster. That is not good for your health or wellbeing. No no no. Don't do it. You deserve better. You deserve to be valued and appreciated and have no one talk over you or shout at you or disrespect you EVER. Don't romanticise it either. And don't make excuses for him. That's what I did and why it lasted 3 years. I regret it. Sad that I let that take over 3 years but happy that I didn't let it take over longer than that.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Really appreciate it. And @j.man when we have misunderstands or small arguments he never wants to talk about them. He thinks going to sleep and waking up and not talking about it is ok. When misunderstandings happen i would like to talk about them. I would like to voice my feelings but he doesnt give me that platform. I always give him the platform to voice his opinion but he wont open up to me. It seems like everytime we argue he wants to be RIGHT. And i dont think its fair. I dont want to be right either but i do point out my wrongs but he does not. Instead he either ignores the whole situation or blames it all on me. Doesnt take accountability for his actions. And even when i say i am wrong he seems to forget that and continues to blame me and focus on me. I just want things to be fair during a misunderstanding. He says he will be more open and stop blaming me for everything but he doesnt. He admits that its wrong to do so but continues.

• 1 month later...

Leave.

You are intitled to your feelings and your feelings are valid. Educate yourself on NPD. Educate yourself on how to heal from NPD abuse. You've been in this less than a year. You have time! It will get worse! A person with NPD will not understand and cannot understand. You will expend everything you have and will be scared for the rest of it. Leave and don't look back. No contact and be happy before he controls everything in your world and you don't have the means to escape!

Archived