Advice needed! I'm not sure what I should do anymore.

I am 32 years old, I have had very few romantic relationships.The one romantic relationship I allowed last year was with someone, unsurprisingly, emotionally abusive. I have been in therapy on and off since I was 15. My parents are both functional alcoholics in denial who, since I was around 10 years of age have binge drank wine every evening. They always went to work (hence the functional) and believe they do not have a problem. My problem is I have never really been able to get off the ground from their constant emotional abuse and verbally blaming me for any and everything. I have not found a way to get away from them, although I recognize their abuse and I have confronted them about their drinking. I realize they are not going to changed and I have to change myself but in this environment where I am still belittled for every failure and shamed for really anything I do not succeed, that can be ever more shameful. I don't know where to go from here. I am thinking maybe I need to find a better therapist who is more adept at such abuse but I do not have insurance and that can be costly (my last therapist cut me a good deal). I have a degree ,a bachelor's in History, that was partially paid by my parents but I have had little success with opportunity. Any advice could help. I am tired of sleeping all day to avoid more abuse and I want to get away from them as soon as possible but have no money to do so. I seriously need someone with life experience to help me. I have attracted narcissists into my life over the years so friends helping me out is not an option.

Uh, how about instead of paying for therapists you just move out and get an apartment? Leave your parents. In the old days, people moved out at age 18. You can find a roommate situation somewhere, probably on Craigslist. Move out, rebuild your sense of self, and be a man and not a child anymore. You parents may actually change by you moving out. In any event, move out (and don't say you can't afford it, it's your life at stake here).

Archived