Am I Losing My Mind?

NIN2000

Since January of 2017, my job related working conditions have deteriorated to the point of total calamity. This has created enormous amount of pressure which my coworkers and I are having a hard time adjusting to.

I work in Federal Law Enforcement and the job itself has an inherent risk which naturally brings stress but in my 15 years of experience, the past ten months has been unlike any other.

It all started with a memorandum from the White House, issued by the President himself and addressed to all US Federal employees. Specifically this memorandum announced the introduction of a hiring freeze among federal agencies. The implementation not only creates more work for the remaining employees but shortage of staff substantially increases risk and endangers the lives of all my co-workers. This has made everyone extremely angry and feeling betrayed has lowered the morale of our workforce. Everyday I walk into work and I can feel the tension, anger, resentment and overall negativity against management. Day after day it seems to increase and the environment takes a deeper toll on all of us.

To make matters worse, the President introduced legislation seeking a 25% cut to all Federal Law Enforcement employees retirement benefits (FBI, DEA, Secret Service, US Marshals).

Staff feel betrayed and openly question; “why should I risk my life for Public Safety when neither the public or our bosses care about us”?

As a result, employees feel disrespected, under appreciated, betrayed and more employees call in sick daily. The ones who do come to work are on edge and the conversation among staff are nothing but hatred and negative.

I feel like I am walking into an agency which is nothing more than a human keg powder, each day closer to explosion.

While I can not disclose the name of the Agency I work or what we specifically do; I can state that as Federal Law Enforcement, we fear that such lack of support not only places our lives in danger but we are on the verge of losing control which will endanger the lives of civilians. And the sad part of all of this; “no one cares”.

This tension has affected my life (on and off work) unlike anything. Yet I only need 6 more years for retirement. I find myself in the most difficult dilemma of my life. How do I handle the stress, negativity and overall danger? Will I make it?

• 2 weeks later...

You say you feel betrayed by the public but the public don't really know your situation.

Regardless of whether your agency's budgets have been cut, it's management's responsibility to show leadership and figure out how to distribute resources and lighten the load.

On one hand, you can stay. Most of us are inclined to even when a situation is intolerable. I would start looking for another job with better pay and conditions.

If you stay or until you go, I would be asking more from management.

As for the stress, negativity etc - everyday, try to forget the things you can't control and do 5 things that would improve your life. Also, meditate, seek counselling, invest your money, take leave, take leave without pay etc.

Archived