Depersonalization

How long can depersonalization last! I have been in relationships heck everyday seems unreal and the people in it. I have no feelings of life in me I'm upset that I can't get out of this and feel and experience my own life and memories! It seems as I forget everything that happens if anyone goes trough this or has any helpful advise I would appreciate it thanks

I’ve struggled with this as well, although it was more derealization because I felt detached from my surroundings and people around me. However derealization + depersonalization are both very similar and very complex. My longest episode was a few years ago and I remember it lasting a few months but it does subside. I remember the feeling you described of forgetting everything... no matter how hard I tried to remember recent days or make some sort of meaningful memory out of them, I just couldn’t. It must be that you have no emotional/psychological attachment to those days and therefore you just feel like it’s flashing before your eyes. I know it’s very overwhelming to not be able to “feel” the world around you or to not even know who you are. So it’s okay to feel panicky but always remember that you are in control of what is going on around you. Whenever I felt that it was getting too “unreal” I would pay close attention to noises around me or even inside me (the sound of your breathing, the sound of wind, the sound of creaks or doors) to bring me back to the present and be a little more mindful of what’s going on around me. Keeping myself busy helped a lot too, like having a job where you talk to customers because it forces you to be present. If life isn’t changing things up for you, then try to change things up yourself...I know it can be hard but its possible and it helps. Also listening to music and watching movies helped me because as odd as it sounds, it helped me realize that there’s cooler realities that I can possibly have than the one I had and wasn’t attached to. I wish I could provide more help, but I hope it’s comforting enough to know that as scary as this feels right now, it will fade away.

• 5 months later...
I’ve struggled with this as well, although it was more derealization because I felt detached from my surroundings and people around me. However derealization + depersonalization are both very similar and very complex. My longest episode was a few years ago and I remember it lasting a few months but it does subside. I remember the feeling you described of forgetting everything... no matter how hard I tried to remember recent days or make some sort of meaningful memory out of them, I just couldn’t. It must be that you have no emotional/psychological attachment to those days and therefore you just feel like it’s flashing before your eyes. I know it’s very overwhelming to not be able to “feel” the world around you or to not even know who you are. So it’s okay to feel panicky but always remember that you are in control of what is going on around you. Whenever I felt that it was getting too “unreal” I would pay close attention to noises around me or even inside me (the sound of your breathing, the sound of wind, the sound of creaks or doors) to bring me back to the present and be a little more mindful of what’s going on around me. Keeping myself busy helped a lot too, like having a job where you talk to customers because it forces you to be present. If life isn’t changing things up for you, then try to change things up yourself...I know it can be hard but its possible and it helps. Also listening to music and watching movies helped me because as odd as it sounds, it helped me realize that there’s cooler realities that I can possibly have than the one I had and wasn’t attached to. I wish I could provide more help, but I hope it’s comforting enough to know that as scary as this feels right now, it will fade away.

Thanks it's been 5 months have a habit of complaining just sometimes nothing. Brings me back.

Archived