Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My girlfriend has pretty bad personal hygiene - how best to help her?

Platinum Member
    I have just copy and pasted this ..but this could be another avenue in to letting her know hygiene is paramount

* "Most of us know the pre-sex rituals before having sex like maintaining our personal hygiene, and you can never be reminded enough. Being health-conscious before, during and after sex helps prevent vaginal and urinary tract infections.

While your vagina cleans itself naturally and you shouldn't use any harsh soaps to cleanse it, jumping into the shower or wiping it with a hygienic wipe isn't a bad idea to help get rid of any bacteria that might be there. "Keeping the vagina clean is important to do after having sex. Cleaning the vagina after sex helps avoid future infections that can occur after having sexual contact. Sexual lubricants, bacteria from the fingers, mouth and rectum can increase your chance of developing a yeast or bacterial infection. If you are able to take a bath or shower after having sex this helps reduce yeast or bacterial infections. Using an intimate wash on the vagina is the perfect way to remove unwanted bacteria build-up in and around your lady parts,"

If she only brushes every few days, she's going to have a ton of dental problems as she ages. Her teeth will rot and it will be painful and expensive to fix. What was the last time she went to a dentist for a checkup?

Honestly - I don't know how you do it. If I were dating a guy who didn't take a shower after a workout, that would be a no-go. Bad breath too. I'm not sure how you put up with that. I don't care if he's Orlando Bloom or Chris Hemsworth or whoever. If he smells that stanky, no thanks!! Like the others said, soap and water and toothpaste are pretty cheap, all in all. You don't need to use the most expensive brands, even the dollar store variety are just fine.

We're best friends, though, I've dated a fair few girls and I've never been with someone I have so much in common with and find it so easy to get along with. I can kind of forgive her a lot, I've never had a girlfriend who I trust and care about quite as much, and who I know cares about me the same.
    As for her teeth, she told me once that she'd never been to the dentist in her life. I think she'd be worried to go for fear of what she'd find, she said to me once that her teeth don't hurt her so she'd rather not find out if there are any problems, because she couldn't afford to fix them if there were.
    To be honest her teeth are the thing I'm most worried about from a health point of view, seeing as it's the hardest thing to fix later on. I'll try to show her that she needs to take much better care of them.

Yeah, she definitely needs to see a dentist. It's easier to fix problems sooner rather than later, and they often have different payment options. She needs to get them checked up and get any problems taken care of. Please hopefully you can talk her into going.

Would it be accurate to say her family is working class though even? It sounds like there isn't adults providing, but rather an income coming from the state and many dependent children?

I'm not British, I'm Canadian. We have families here too who are not working poor, but living below or near poverty line with whole generations dependent on the state. I have friends who've come from that background, and I've worked in that system. I came from a working class background.

It's a health issue. And it is important for gaining and keeping employment. For securing a good place to live. For being able to fully get access to opportunities.

There are free classes here ( don't know about there) for adults and kids in the system to learn about things they may not have learned growing up at home. About health, nutrition, employment, etc.

Just be honest with her , it's not about what people think, it's about her wellbeing. Show her facts, not emotion, and it's not about judging her. It's just giving her a different perspective to think about. Going from ' bathing is a luxury', to 'bathing is an important part of taking care of oneself'.

If you can have sex with her, you can talk about this right?

I agree ^^

Also, I think that this lack of hygiene will impact her life - no one wants to work with Stinky Sally or whatever. She could get passed up for jobs and promotions, just because they don't want to sit in the same office as her.

Platinum Member
    Oh my word, I had to stop eating after reading the opening about your girlfriend's terrible hygiene...seriously buy her baking soda and a tooth brush at least. It can be used for everything: hair, body, teeth. It is extremely cheap and available, probably around one dollar a box. There is no excuse to not be cleanly to at least a basic level.

Even though I'm an American, knowing we can be over cleanly at times, I do know basic healthy human hygiene consists of washing everything at least once every few days, while washing high bacteria infested places such as your face/mouth, armpits, and groin area every day. This is so bacteria doesn't become opportunistic and lead to pathogen based illnesses, as mentioned by others.

Teeth can be extra important to clean more than once daily because they're so sensitive. Heck I have great oral hygiene, which was pointed out by my dentist, and I still get a couple cavities because my molars have very deep grooves that are hard to clean. I do not doubt her and your concerns about the state of her teeth. She can definitely minimize the damage by starting very good oral hygiene now along with an enamel restoring mouth wash.

Really, she has let herself go. She needs a stern talking to by someone on how this is not good for her overall health. If you are the only one to do it, do emphasize that you are concerned for her health as well as yours. Being so close to her, I would worry about you catching something from her. Help by buying her those two basic items for starters and, if she cannot obtain good water sources otherwise, point her out to some of the washing facilities at school. There may be a gym with showers or sinks large enough for a sponge bath. She can at least take quick overall body showers; I have at school sinks before (don't ask why).

Now, excuse me, I feel the urgent need to take a shower now.

I have 2 words that should be real real helpful. Shower sex.

When you mentioned the plague bit, I literally gagged..omg that's gross!!!

You need to tell her that she needs to wash more and brush her teeth. I mean, come on! She's a grown adult. No way would I put up with that nastiness.

That's not poverty, that's laziness!!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by pinkfang
    I have 2 words that should be real real helpful. Shower sex.
    Good girl ..I like it

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Videos

Most Women Rather Not Date Unemployed Men

Why Young People Don't Rush To Marry? They Fear Divorce

Why People Lie On Online Dating Services?

Relationships During Quarantine

Cheating Husbands Are at Risk of a Heart Attack

Romance At Work: Yes Or No?
Give Advice
Ask For Advice