Feeling no support in my office

Alex39

I'm a bit frustrated with my job. We host a bunch of college student interns whom are hard workers, and positive forces in our office. They asked if we could have a halloween party in the office and I thought it was a fun idea, and a great marketing opportunity for our office to look fun and inviting. Since its only about 20 of us total, 5 of us being full time workers, I figured it could be very casual, and us full time people could all bring something. My boss gave the okay and ran with the idea. Since it was my idea, I already got some decorations, paper goods, and I bought all the stuff to make cupcakes. We don't ask the kids to bring anything because a lot of them are poor. We have a staff meeting yesterday and I bring up what everyone should contribute, whether it be a bottle of soda, or a salad. I was planning on just having picky foods. My boss them starts saying how we should just order stuff and then no one has to bring anything and thats just easier for everyone. He never told me we had a budget for ordering for this party. Now he wants me to order pizzas for everyone and no one has to bring anything. But, I already got plates, napkins, and cupcake stuff, and decor on my dime. I am quite annoyed that he didn't make me aware of this beforehand, because now I am the only one who bought anything, and everyone else gets off with bringing nothing. I then suggested people bring the drinks, but he insisited we have tons of soda in the back from a previous event. We have all the soda still because no one in the office drinks soda, so they aren't going to want it for the party either. Its beyond annoying. I am still going to bring the cupcakes because we can't order dessert, only food. I feel like I am the only one caring or willing to give. I also made it a costume party, and best costume wins a prize. I already got a donated gift card prize. I thought it would be fun to get a little competitive and give the college interns something to look forward to. My boss again was on board. But now my boss and other co workers aren't going to dress up. I went and bought this really nice costume thinking I was going to dress up. One of my co worker friends says she will dress up too, so I won't be alone. But we also have this high profile meeting earlier in the day with clients, and I cannot be dressed up for that. I feel like this whole party is just crashing and burning.

Pardon my language but screw them! The college kids will have a great time, so will you. If they want to be sticks-in-the-mud then let them, doesn't mean you can't have a little fun. Workplace culture is a huge deciding factor for people in accepting or declining employment positions. If nothing else, your boss will remember your positive vibe in the office and how you went above and beyond to make a great party for everyone. Good for you!!

Sure, I would be annoyed as well. As my colleague went away for sabbatical I am forced (well, not really) to take over the position as leader of the "Fun Team" yay! So I too have to organize some events this month and yeah I get it, not many people are into everything nor care....But at the end of the day...they are just there for the experience and paycheck (or lack thereof with interns) and well....at least you did your part and will get the recognition for being "proactive" so at least that is good!

So tomorrow I have another event planned with this "Fun Team" and I am just hoping all those new young employees don't start getting a bit carried away with tequila shots like last time Luckily, this is the last "fun" event I will help organize

I have to be honest. I'd be annoyed if I were one of your coworkers. If I'm understanding correctly. You signed them up for something they didn't come forward with an interest to do. And they are expected to help pay for this thing.

If the interns wanted it, why couldn't they arrange it?

I get what you are saying, but my co workers aren't poor. All of them make more money than me, and I think can afford a bottle of soda costing a dollar and a half. I wasn't asking people to spend a fortune. Literally a dollar would help out. My boss is so ridiculous. We had a co worker who was retiring and he made it mandatory that we all contribute $25 each for a gift. At the time, I didn't have that money, because I live very close paycheck to paycheck some months, but I had to cough up that money, but this, which is nothing but someone bringing some brownies, is a big deal and he doesn't want people to contribute, he'd rather use our corporation budget to buy things.

I also talked to him the other day about our office giving back for the holidays. I told him that between the interns and us workers, that maybe we could make a donation box of canned goods for the homeless. I told him I would even be willing to drop off the donation to a food bank. Its voluntary, but nice to do. Canned goods at like 59 cents now. He said no, and how he doesn't feel right making people do that, because he thinks they will feel pressured. Pressured to spend one dollar on canned goods? Crazy.

He also brought up that he already gives himself around the holidays for other things. You can't give two canned goods? Really? But then he starts selling me on how donating money to the organizations yearly United Way campaign is pretty much a requirement. I was floored. The organization sends out info about donating to this yearly. I don't have lots to give, so I don't give. Now he is almost telling me its mandatory. The organization doesn't make it mandatory. Its all voluntary, but clearly he was trying to tell me that I need to be giving to that. Yeah, because if everyone in our department gives to that, then he looks good.

Sounds like you are jumping in with both feet pushing your own agenda and then get mad when you realize that nobody is really interested.

Next time you decide something is a great idea and rush off with your plans, check in with your boss and ask them what is convenient, what you can and cannot do, whether there is a budget available for it and how much. In other words, be a team player and actually ask for input from others instead of just telling people "here is what you are going to do."

As for the holidays thing, your boss is telling you quite bluntly to pipe down and fall in line with what the company is already doing and supporting if you are so into giving back, instead of pushing your own agenda on people. Reading between the lines, I'd say some of the people around the office complained about your "ideas" to your boss and asked him to intervene. You are being too much of a busy body and nobody really asked for that.

It was your idea, very excited, and jump the gun on getting things. You then had a group meeting, and talked about it where your boss decided to make it a company event. Um, why are you upset? You can still bring your stuff in. It's not like you said you were getting this, and want to be reimbursed. Next time, wait till you have a meeting about it to see what will be covered or not. You coworkers may have wanted nothing to do with the party, but you wanted them contribute. You can't really blame people for updating things when you don't say anything initially. Return the stuff you got if it bothers you that much.

My husband bakes, and I bring stuff in, and it doesn't have to be a team effort.

If my boss told me I had to give him $25 for a retirement gift for a person the only thing I would give him would be a look, then I would go along with my day.

You expect people to give money to this party because you are wanting to. I think it is unfair to think they should donate because they make decent money. Who are you to assess their financial situation and make monetary demands?

It is great to bring some life into the workplace but you need to be less subjective about this and stop holding your coworkers to your standards.

If you want to organize and do fun things at work that is great. It is just unfair to demand people participate and be upset that not everyone has your enthusiasm.

I guess I should be more clear. Before I bought or did anything, I mentioned this idea to my boss and said to him that maybe everyone can bring something. He agreed and said it was fine. Then when I saw some things around I bought them, thinking everyone would be contributing. He even mentioned to me again, how in our next staff meeting, we would discuss who would be bringing what for the party besides me. How was I supposed to think anything else. I was annoyed because if I knew differently that he would have put a budget on it and we didn't have to bring anything I wouldn't have spent my money. I don't mind making cupcakes. I don't mind bringing things in. I just thought it was going to be a fair thing that everyone could help out for the interns, as that was what he and I discussed and I mentioned it out loud a few times to everyone in the office. All the other co-workers agreed that they were okay bringing something early on. It was my boss that suddenly decided why don't we have food. I was just planning on snacks foods and such, cupcakes, maybe a veggie tray. Its a small thing. ai didn't tell people they had to bring anything, I just asked if they could and wanted to. I didn't tell them what to bring, I asked what they could bring.

It sounds like some people weren’t really interested in contributing (and perhaps even participating). Instead of taking it up with you, they chose to talk to your boss. He needs to keep the peace, so he made an executive decision: no one has to pay. The office will cover it.

I guess I should be more clear. Before I bought or did anything, I mentioned this idea to my boss and said to him that maybe everyone can bring something. He agreed and said it was fine. Then when I saw some things around I bought them, thinking everyone would be contributing. He even mentioned to me again, how in our next staff meeting, we would discuss who would be bringing what for the party besides me. How was I supposed to think anything else. I was annoyed because if I knew differently that he would have put a budget on it and we didn't have to bring anything I wouldn't have spent my money. I don't mind making cupcakes. I don't mind bringing things in. I just thought it was going to be a fair thing that everyone could help out for the interns, as that was what he and I discussed and I mentioned it out loud a few times to everyone in the office. All the other co-workers agreed that they were okay bringing something early on. It was my boss that suddenly decided why don't we have food. I was just planning on snacks foods and such, cupcakes, maybe a veggie tray. Its a small thing. ai didn't tell people they had to bring anything, I just asked if they could and wanted to. I didn't tell them what to bring, I asked what they could bring.

But you needed to find out from the "everyone" if they were actually interested outside of a formal meeting. Do you have a good relationship with coworkers where you could bounce the idea off of them at the water cooler? Your boss might have given you the okay to spearhead something, but your boss can't compel or predict who will participate. In the future i would have brought up the idea at a group meeting and see if anyone else was interested. You said it was "good marketing" but how? If you said "we need to come up with a fun way to get to know the college students" i bet others would have had other ideas about how to achieve this goal and you could have ran with whatever idea sounded best.

Honestly, i don't like Halloween parties. I like them when my family has them - its either "don't dress up, have finger food and visit while the host hands out candy" or really just seeing things from the little nephews eyes, etc. But coming up with a costume for a work function in the break room is not what i want to do.

But pizza at work always wins

You cannot fault people who don't choose to participate. Honestly, if you asked what people would like to bring, and then you got everything yourself and now you are upset that the boss got pizza, there is a little of a martyr thing going on. "i;ve done so much and no one appreciates it"

Archived