healthy activities you like

Hey people! Like everyone here, I'm trying to find myself, what i like and what i can keep myself busy with; and so far I've come up with a short list. For some reason, i can't think of much. I want to do more.

can anyone here share what kind of wellness activity (even hanging out with family) they like to do, and what's the benefit?

For example:

Yoga: I am attending classes right now and I am loving it. I'm sort of trying to be more mindful and do some soul searching.

Billiards: It helps me with my social life, I get to talk to people, get to play others and get to have an excuse to drink during the week.

Cycling: I've been getting into cycling and it's good exercise.

Video games: while i don't do it often, I sit down once in a while and play COD and Titan Fall. Fun games, and want to pick up the latest Lara croft adventure games

Cooking: I cook a fair amount during the week and mostly on the weekends for friends. It helps me zone out, i feel creative and feel i learn something new.

Terrarium making: I love making them and while i don't do it much, i love it when i do.

I want to:

Bouldering: This weekend i'm going to my first one.

Mountain biking: I used to do it mildly, and never got to the hardcore jumps and all that.

So far, that's it. I want to do more things.

Anyone want to share any activities or hobbies you are in, want to get in, or have done? it could be as easy as reading sci fi, crocheting, Jiu Jitsu or the like and what it does for you.

In addition to your cooking, I'll add:

1) Watching so-called "mukbang" shows (ie. eating shows) on Youtube. I am fascinated by what people eat, especially if it's junky crap, and I have no idea why. I don't eat much junk myself nor even really like most of it, but I have mukbang-ing up a storm lately. Perhaps it's vicarious comfort eating, with a touch of voyeurism

2) Jump-rope workouts. I love the cardio and I feel like a kid again skipping away to my heart's content, even if I do this in the privacy of my own home so the neighbours don't think I've lost my damn mind, skipping down the block.

3) Resistance training. The increase in strength is tangible and so satisfying. I also love getting ideas from fitness Youtubers (I am a Youtube addict, apparently)

4) Watching videos of my kid niece and nephew. They never fail to light up my heart.

5) NAPS

Rock climbing, backpacking, hiking, skiing (downhill and cross country), tennis, ice skating (winter is on my mind) - pretty much anything outdoors.

More random stuff for me personally - painting classes (think a bunch of women drinking a wee bit too much wine while trying to paint - it's hilarious), pottery classes (was actually pretty interesting).

I'll volunteer to help out with random events for assorted causes.

There is only so much you can commit to on a regular basis so some spice comes from doing random things on occasion like going on a hot air balloon ride or going zip lining, getting out of town on a random day trip, etc.

yeah! i think everyone here is busy doing stuff and it's interesting what people do to cope with life or at least, feel alive. I'm just now getting into outdoor activities myself and starting from a base point.

I used to play in bands and would love to get that back going. it's just meeting the right musicians to play with. As of now, I'm trying to think of a good "regular activity". I've done so many rando things, but less physical activities. Now, i want to see what i can do with being outdoors.

Have you looked at meetup.com? You can probably find a ton of all kinds of things to do through that in NYC. Plus the added advantage is that you get to meet like minded people and make great friends.

For example, one of my interests is arts, but finding someone to go with you can be hard. So I met a fantastic group to go to all the arts events with through that. In fact we attended one recently, had a total blast and were actually talking about how fun the group is - there is this chemistry among everyone and we kind of wondered how you can get a bunch of seemingly random people together and have this much fun and it was like "because we are all like minded, the common interest draws similar personalities together that mesh naturally."

dancingfool : yes. 100% agree. I'm beginning to see a lot of that. Yes, i check out meetup.com once in a while but i've never taken the bold leap. maybe this time around, i'll go. I've done mountain biking camp and ride and it was fuuun. But nowadays, when i camp i tend to bring the entire kitchen and the sink to camp, it's difficult to lug 15inch cast iron skillets, porterhouse steaks and beer on rides.

dancingfool : yes. 100% agree. I'm beginning to see a lot of that. Yes, i check out meetup.com once in a while but i've never taken the bold leap. maybe this time around, i'll go. I've done mountain biking camp and ride and it was fuuun. But nowadays, when i camp i tend to bring the entire kitchen and the sink to camp, it's difficult to lug 15inch cast iron skillets, porterhouse steaks and beer on rides.

Just do it! It's kind of the point that you show up and have instant welcoming company of like minded people. The more often you go, the more you are going to connect and make friends.

Power walking while listening to podcasts or news (used to be music) -been doing regular exercise for 35 years. Used to love to dance and go out dancing. I've done some yoga and enjoyed it. My schedule is more limited/restricted now because of my child but if I had more time I'd take yoga classes. Reading relaxes me as does talking on the phone to close friends -good for the soul. I love to be outdoors especially in beautiful parks/surroundings.

I'm so happy people are doing so many wonderful stuff! I am definitely going to try to make this sunday the day i try climbing. Who knows, I may like it? I've done a lot of outdoor activities, sports (even knitting!) and i'm ready to try new activities. I'm sooo excited.

and Dias, Thanks! I'll download that when i get home.

What else? any other cool things people of ENA do? something you may be proud of? volunteer at local theaters? acting? painting? i want to know what yall do! you may inspire some people here to take up the same activities.

I'm so happy people are doing so many wonderful stuff! I am definitely going to try to make this sunday the day i try climbing. Who knows, I may like it? I've done a lot of outdoor activities, sports (even knitting!) and i'm ready to try new activities. I'm sooo excited.

and Dias, Thanks! I'll download that when i get home.

What else? any other cool things people of ENA do? something you may be proud of? volunteer at local theaters? acting? painting? i want to know what yall do! you may inspire some people here to take up the same activities.

I volunteer at a local public radio station during phonathons and in the past I've volunteered at shelters reading to children, helped single moms with resume/interviewing skills, did a short stint talking over the phone with a newly arrived immigrant so she could learn English.

oh that's super nice of you! I work as a social worker so i kinda get over loaded from work. I don't feel like taking work home. unless ya know... if it's really needed.

Oh I totally get it. I probably would have felt the same when I was a teacher many years ago. When I did much of this I worked in a corporate environment.

Archived