How to come to a compromise with my bf

rukspc

My bf and I have been together for almost 5 months, so it's very new. In early summer, I began going to his place about 2-3 days then went to 4-5 days towards the beginning of fall. He lives in the city and I live in the suburbs with my sister and brother-in-law, which is about 35-40 minutes from my bf's place.

Before the semester started, we decided that he would pick me up and drop off from night class until finished. He is generous for doing this because I don't have to drive in the dark and cold. This also means I stay in the city for about 4-5 days and come back to the suburbs towards the weekend.

He has come over and dropped me off at my place at times when I needed to babysit my nieces. However, I have been to the city and his place more times than he has ever been to mine out in the suburbs. Next week, my family will leave for vacation and I need to watch my niece's fish all 5 days. My sister and brother-in-law invited him to come stay with me out here but my bf said I live too far and there isn't a lot to do out here. I admit that I live far and it'll be a far commute for him to get to work. When I stay with him in the city, it is easier for me bc my work and school are all in the same vicinity.

How do I compromise with him to stay with me here while I take care of the fish? He suggested moving the fish to his place for the weekend but I don't know. I am not complaining that I have to travel to him. But I think it's unfair that he wouldn't come out this way because of how boring and mundane it is. He's traveled out to other suburbs before and even drove out of state with me many times. Am I being picky about this? What should we do?

So if I'm reading that right, he's pretty much your personal chauffeur and somehow you're the one being slighted here?

Does he live on his own? If so, it might account for a big reason he's not hot on the idea of crashing with his girlfriend's sister and husband as well.

So if I'm reading that right, he's pretty much your personal chauffeur and somehow you're the one being slighted here?

Does he live on his own? If so, it might account for a big reason he's not hot on the idea of crashing with his girlfriend's sister and husband as well.

He does live on his own.

Everyone will be gone on vacation that week so he wouldn't even see them. I get what you're saying though. I'll just stay apart for 5 days and see him on the weekend.

He offered a compromise, for you to bring the fish to his place, so that is one option.

Another option is for you to stay in the suburbs and perhaps invite him for one night, and he's free to accept or decline. You don't have to spend your usual number of nights together. It's just temporary.

i would take the fish to his place. I travel often and regularly to see people and did so when my husband and I were dating (we were long distance) but under the circumstances as you described it, no, I would not want to hang out in the burbs because fish need to be taken care of. Any way a teenager can be paid a few dollars a day to feed the fish, etc?

Archived