So I´m turning 36 and Im feeling a little lost and behinde and running out of time.

Might be just one of those times.

But I feel like ok Im 36 I dont own a home. My car is 10 years old still fairly nice but 10 years old.

Im broke (Reason below)

I have spent the last 3 years building a company and it has been crazy hard!! I overworked myself and was a whole year still gathering my self with a help of a psychologist. drama and problems all the time.

But for 3 years it was just being poor and low salary some months others no salary. Now Im starting a sales-job selling corporations software and might be high paying but dont know yet. I gave up control of the company to a new board cause we are trying to sell it.

But even that kind of make me sad cause its not a "silicon valley exit" We are shooting for an exit that would be a 300-380 thousand dollars for me personally. I feel like that is a low exit and it wouldn't make me rich. But I could buy a home, but I dreamed of making it bigger and 3 years of work still dosent feel enough.

Im starting a new company but its still in the starting position and got the team working on it now. But who knows.

I dont know I have a son now thats 14 months and loving GF. But its so hard being poor and not successful and feeling behind of my peers. But mostly feeling like Im running out of time to become successful.

Im probably not the only one feeling like that. How do you handle it. What do you think about this. Is this just being a or complaining to much?

I hope someone can write some advice or words of wisdom.

I'm 36 and 2 months old, welcome! It's a marvelous decade to be in. I don't own a house, I don't own a car,never had,heck I even got my driver's license just his year (I live in Europe). I have a dog and no relationship. A job that I love, not paying well,but hey! I can live. A hobby I love and want to pursue more but sometimes I feel just like you,which is completely normal, but..I'm happy! According to my definition of success, I'm as successful as it gets! Don't work on what others think success is! You are working for your dream and you're doing your best. You have a loving family and a plan. These are not wise words but I know some from that song/speech wear sunscreen: Don't waste too much time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind, but in the end,the race is only with yourself.

It's totally normal to feel this way. Society has it all cut out for us with these little rules doesn't it? Well rules are meant to be broken! You are the rulemaker in your life.

I think Cope has said it here. I'm 45 and have none of those things, yet I think I am successful.

Don't define success by what society thinks it should be. Western society tells us that to be happy we must have a house, a wife, children, make lots and lots of money, have a flash car and sometimes even a mistress. But since I don't want any of those things, then I guess I am not going to ever be successful. I stopped pursuing those things years ago because they weren't making me happy. That is when I realised that for me to be successful all I needed to be was happy.

Listen mate I am almost 51 , stoned most of the time , no car ( hate them ) , private rent , no hairy arse in my life and think a good night is a fish supper and bottle of crabbys ginger beer ... just chill out and enjoy what you do have and what you have achieved . Cos one day you will wake up with your balls sagging to your knees , your kid left home and a whole pile of wasted years worrying about what you haven't achieved .

Listen mate I am almost 51 , stoned most of the time , no car ( hate them ) , private rent , no hairy arse in my life and think a good night is a fish supper and bottle of crabbys ginger beer ... just chill out and enjoy what you do have and what you have achieved . Cos one day you will wake up with your balls sagging to your knees , your kid left home and a whole pile of wasted years worrying about what you haven't achieved .

Pippy, you have such a mesmerizing personality that you don't need anything else.

OP, If you are happy with you life nobody can tell you anything. We are not in this world to satisfy others or to obey the society's standards. Besides, where is the fun doing that?

You started a company, and are now selling it for 350k+ at 36. Dude, that is more than most people achieve in life. Be proud of yourself!

I sure as heck doubt I will have 350K to my name in 6 years... I could try pimping my gf out... don't think that would go over well though...

Don't worry, you are doing fine, better than most actually.

At 36 you could have been unemployed, with child support to pay, a divorce, no house/car... and this is all pretty normal stuff that happens to a lot of people.

Hey...I too am working on starting a company and it IS really hard to to...but just stay focused on your goal and you will eventually get there. Most people overestimate what they can do in a year and underestimate what they can do in 10.

You ever read Tony Robbins? His books have been REALLY inspiring. Check out his book - Awaken the Giant Within.

No matter how tough it is, it is taking little steps and taking action that will make you more happy. Also think about the WHY you are in the business and not the HOW. When the WHY is great enough, you will find a way no matter what.

What kind of business are you in? If you are into selling physical products, there is a great webinar called The Million Dollar Case Study by Jungle Scout (Greg Mercer).

I think if you wake up each day and try and be grateful (Tony Robbins has an exercise for this called Morning Power Questions), you will be in a better state of mind and can make more better steps towards your goal. Enjoy the journey and look forward to the future rewards...

My husband and I started our own biz in our early 30s and the first couple of years were hard, really hard. Plus we had two kids as well. We never gave up, we kept plodding along and it got better with time. Everything takes time. In the end we developed an online spinoff of our biz and have had that going for about 7 yrs and it keeps getting better each years. We made decent money, more than expected, from the original biz, and the online one works very well for us. So keep doing what you are doing, tweaking it as needed, and be patient. You are way ahead of many others even tho it doesnt feel that way.

Archived