Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Busy guy

Unsure22

Busy guy

I am dating a guy(29) who is 5 years older than me(24). He has a great career going for him, meanwhile Iím still a full time student in college and unsure of what i want to do with my life. After half a year of casual conversations, he decided to ask me out on a date one day.

I reluctantly agreed because I was in a complicated relationship but the date turned out amazing. For the next three months, we would go on more dates (once a week or every two weeks) and Iíve been so happy with whats going on but I want more.

Keep in mind, this guy is extremely busy with work and sometimes he would work 7 days a week. This is beyond what I am use to compared to my previous relationships.

One night out, we discussed what we ďareĒ. He explained that heís single because he works a lot and most of the girls he met couldnít handle that.

I told him i understand and itís definitely ok(not really) if heís seeing other people as well. Meanwhile im seeing him exclusively. I definitely did not want to label what we are because I know I would have high expectations.

We donít talk as often as I would love to but when we see each other, everything is perfect. At the same time, I don't want to feel like this guy is only seeing me when he wants someone around.

Recently, we planned a date on a thursday in which he cancelled due to family problems. Feeling worried, I messaged him if everything was alright and I received no replies until four days later, Monday. As a person who thinks a lot, I was pretty furious thinking he ghosted on me. When we met up, he explained that he had a bad week with one event for each day. I believe this guy, but how long does it take for you to reply to someone especially if they are worried? I spoke to my friends about this and they thought he was just testing me and seeing how i feel.

I really want things to work out between us but what should I be expecting from this person?

-Am I thinking too much?

Batya33
    Platinum Member
    This has nothing to do with being busy at work. I was that busy as was most of the men I dated and we didn't have cell phones for much of that time. And we all reliably kept in touch and made time for each other. The other women couldn't handle his unreliable and flaky behavior - not an issue with his work schedules. I'd let this one go because it simply could be they jrs just not that into you and you deserve better.

LHGirl
    Forum Supporter
    A text takes 5 seconds.

I dated a guy like this. I called him Busy Busy Bruce. He was always so busy, always rushing somewhere. His cancellations always had a good "reason".

I told him I thought we were in different places in life, and I went NC.

Guess what.....3 months later, he sent me this long email about how much he missed me, and he said that he was "in a funk" over losing me.

Okkkkkk......so I gave it another shot.

We had 1 nice date. Guess what he did for the second one.....you got it.....cancelled at the last minute, because something "so busy" came up. Never talked to him again.

T from NY

I am so sorry to break it to you -- but this guy is using you as a placeholder. He absolutely knows by now if he would want you for a girlfriend and him not stepping up and making your relationship exclusive means exactly what you said -- he wants you there because he wants someone around. I'm sure he enjoys your company -- but he is not in love -- and men know they are in love pretty quickly.

I can tell you want more from a relationship. You deserve more. Don't let him keep using you as a placeholder. He'll move on and find another one while you continue to seek an authentic connection. Best to you.

Unsure22
    I made sure to tell him multiple times that if he doesnít want what we have, then let me know. And he agreed. We both agree that communication is key and we should be expressing how we feel constantly.

Should I wait it out for a few more months? He is currently on a two week vacation with his guy friends who planned it for his birthday. So i most likely wont see him for another two weeks.

Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    You are a fill in, for when he is available.

I do not understand why you would make yourself exclusive to him. That's foolish.

There is no future with this guy. You satisfy his needs, and that's it. His actions have clearly showed that he does not care about you.

Do better for yourself.

Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unsure22 [Register to see the link]
    I made sure to tell him multiple times that if he doesnít want what we have, then let me know. And he agreed. We both agree that communication is key and we should be expressing how we feel constantly.

Should I wait it out for a few more months? He is currently on a two week vacation with his guy friends who planned it for his birthday. So i most likely wont see him for another two weeks.
    Why are you allowing him to make all of the decisions? Demand more for yourself. You are officially in doormat territory.

Batya33
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unsure22 [Register to see the link]

I'm really confused about why you two are talking in such generalities when there are very specific issues here. I think expressing how you feel constantly is unnecessary and will quickly become boring. Be specific -tell him that when he is unreliable it affects your life negatively and of course add if it makes you feel disrespected, or badly, etc. Ask him if he is willing to put in the work and effort to see you regularly in person. Ask him if he is willing to put in the work and effort to act respectfully of your time/schedule.

When I worked crazy unpredictable hours I told whoever I was dating in advance when plans were tentative and that weekday plans might need to be cancelled last minute. They knew where they stood and they knew it was nothing personal. And i kept in touch -without a cell phone or texting.

Unsure22
    Thank you to all who have taken their time to help give me advice! I guess I know what was going on but i was clouded by the idea that this guy is close to my ideal partner until I realize what I am and what i am not doing. Must be stronger than this right?

What leads me on is he tells me we should do lots of things for upcoming weeks/months Halloween, november parties, etc. I invited him to my coworkers birthday party and he said heíd love to go. I booked some cooking classes for his birthday and he is super excited for it. He holds my hands in public and does not care about anything. I just thought at the age of 29, this guy seem to know what he wants as he did express it himself and he said he wants to take this slow and see how things are going before we get serious with each other.

I guess the next time I see him, I will have to be upfront about how things really are.

Hollyj
    Platinum Member
    "He holds my hands in public."

Why is this significant to you? I'm sorry, but you seem to have very low expectations of a relationship. And, future talk means little, if he is rarely available.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Top Threads
Red Flag if the guy on first date does not pay for my food?
A guys asked me out to a dinner and picked the restaurant. Toward the end, when the waiter came to drop off the bill, the waiter leaned toward the
I'm always the one messaging first lately.... not her.
I've been dating this woman for the past few weeks. We've gone on about 4 dates so far. Date #5 occurring this Saturday. Anyway, lately, it
Why would people ghost rather than saying something
Speaking to a girl for a month or so, been on a couple dates went well and we spoke a lot. After the last date we were still speaking for a few days
He didn't even bother to cancel our date leaving me feeling disrespected
We made plans to go out on Friday evening. No place/specific time but we did discuss possible things to do and I knew it would be in the evening
Does she like me? Another second date confusion...
Met another girl online and we went on a date at Sunday ([I]this is the 7th girl I go on a first date with for the past few months, I suck at
Is he really even interested? Please help.
I am really torn on what to do. I know I'm emotional at times and I don't know if this is honestly a problem or if it's all in my own head and I'm
Ghosted by an Ďamazingí man?
Hi Everyone, So after finally leaving an emotionally abusive relationship with a man I had a child with I finally started dating. I went on a few

Featured Threads
Red Flag if the guy on first date does not pay for my food?
A guys asked me out to a dinner and picked the restaurant. Toward the end, when the waiter came to drop off the bill, the waiter leaned toward the
narcissistic ex - help/ how to get back at him
So this is a post about a narcisisstic, immature ex. Not an ex boyfriend, not an ex boy, but something in between. It was something in between
University freshers fling?
[B]Hey there! [/B] Thank you so much for reading this. I just [I]REALLY [/I]need advice as it's SERIOUSLY affecting MY LIFE
Should you call out your ex when you find out they've been cheating on you?
Just some thoughts guys. Have you been cheated on? What did you do? Did you call your ex out on the lies and deceit? Or go on with your lives?
Ex is being so angry and hateful
I was in kind of relationship for almost 6-7 months but unexpectedly we broke up. He dumped. Just on a fight. Just day after our breakup. I went back
How to avoid checking up on ex social media?
Hi friends, Iím finding that posting here and seeing so many of us in the same boat is proving rather helpful in my own journey to move on. That
Break-up
Hi, I've recently just been broken up with by my girlfriend of two years, she has stated it wasn't all my fault and she is part to blame, but would
Ask For Advice