Worried about my girl

Beastelstein

It's a long story but my current significant other had a problem with benzodiazepines until this past January when she went to rehab. She'd often take too many causing black outs and rebound anxiety. A month ago she confessed her neurologist prescribed klonopin to treat a condition where she shakes uncontrollably. I was okay with it at first because she was taking 1 a day (less than the prescribed 3) but tonight was unnerving.

She said she felt anxious and was concerned she might be getting withdrawals as she's been taking them 3 times a day. Is it common for people to get withdrawals with that dosing frequency? I told her I thought she should talk to her doctor about alternatives to treat her neurological problem (I suggested gabapentin) but she's afraid of stopping the klonopin. We discussed outpatient rehab/therapy but I'm worried she wont follow through. I love her tons and wanna make sure she's healthy. What should I do?

Klonopin is powerful stuff and a third of people taking it get hooked on it. You can become addicted in as little as two weeks. Gabapentin is less powerful and less successful, that's probably why the doctor didn't want to substitute klonopin with gabapentin. You are right to be worried. Your girlfriend should NOT stop the klonopin. You need to work with a doctor to ween her off and find something that works for her, hopefully using therapy rather than heavy duty drugs.

Archived