Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open relationship request from soon to be wife

Confusedguy13

Open relationship request from soon to be wife

My partner who I am marrying in less than 6 months had a night out the other day and can't remember if she cheated on me or not. She told me something might of happened or might not have happened, we have a chat and she asks if I would consider and open relationship for a while.

I should mention we have an almost 3 year old daughter aswell. She says it won't affect her and won't jepordise anything to do with our daughter.

I'm not sure what to think of this, is this her way of wanting to break up with me? Does she want to get it out of her system before the wedding? I just don't know.

We've been together 4 and a half years and have enjoyed a varied, exciting sex life so far, it has slowed down in the last year/year and a half but we do it at least one week these days.

Basically I just want someone who can give me advice on whether an open relationship could be a good idea or could ruin us? I'm not sure what to do!

mustlovedogs

Open relationship request from soon to be wife

Don't do it. If you have to ask, you're not ok with it.

I would suggest going to counseling stat so you can figure out if the wedding needs to be post poned

firelily
    Bronze Member
    Hm... Have you asked her, if this is only about sex, or does she miss something else in the relationship? Maybe she could answer your question the best. If she's unfulfilled in bed or scared of marriage, or if she thinks about breaking up with you. And what was really the deal with her drunken night. If she's going to be your wife, I guess you guys are able to discuss deep stuff like this?

If you feel ok with the idea of open relationship, and you feel like this could work for you too, you can always try that. But in this case, I think you shouldn't do it without getting to know what are your wife reasons for suggesting this and where she stands in this relationship.

Confusedguy13

OP here. I'm only asking because I'm not a confident person and always needs to ask about everything. We've tried counseling before and hasn't really helped.

What I wrote about the night out is what she told me. She says she still wants to marry me. It could work for me but coild not at the same time.

abitbroken
    Platinum Member
    Please do not marry this woman. Marriage is about love and fidelity. She is changing the terms before walking down the aisle and its not what you signed up for. She is asking for a permission to cheat.

You can be a great dad and great coparent - seek an attorney for advice on how to get joint custody instead of being a weekend date. This woman has no intent to be faithful and its better to part ways now when your child is young and won't know any different way than to have a life of mom running around on dad.

At the very least POSTPONE the wedding. This is not something to enter in hastily. She knows you might be a pushover.

HeartGoesOn
    I may get slammed here, and to each their own, but I look at open relationships as a license to cheat. With that being said, I'd hold off on the wedding.

Jeffbobo
    This is a hellofa thing to walk into a marriage with. Based on the circumstances of what may or may not have happened, it sounds like she already has someone else on her mind if she's approaching you with this question. I can't imagine just coming out and asking this question if this wasn't the case.

Either way, I'd put the breaks on the marriage as others have suggested. Once you open this Pandora's box and that line is crossed, it'll be hard to re-establish a line after the fact.

Pleasedonot5
    Gold Member
    She's already got someone else in mind, I'd bet.

Respect yourself enough to say no, think long and hard about the marriage, and potentially walk away.

MissCanuck
    Platinum Member
    Oh, hale no.

She "can't remember" if she cheated (Yeah, sure) Now she wants to open your relationship. You know what this means? She has already got someone else in mind, and she more than likely already did cheat and doesn't know how to tell you.

Do not get married. Not now. If you have never once discussed her desires to open the relationship and it's only coming up now that she "might have" cheated, your relationship is in a lot of trouble. I would either insist on couples' counselling or very seriously consider ending the relationship.

And it's not true that it won't affect your child. Why? Because if Dad is not happy with this idea, and there is a significant crack in the relationship between her parents, it will most certainly be felt by her. Your fiancee is either being naive or willfully ignorant about that.

The truly open relationships I know (and there are very few) are ones in which both parties are comfortable and interested in the idea. This won't end well for you if you agree to it, OP. You already know you don't like this.

Keyman
    Say what? I can't remember if I cheated or not, but I want your approval to keep cheating or not cheating with the same guy I may or may not have cheated with. But I want to still marry you, because you are an unconfident dolt that I am sure will stick around and look after our kid while I cheat or not cheat to my hearts content.

If councelling did not work, then why continue with this woman? Take back some dignity, remove your junk from where it is firmly held in her grasp and leave her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Top Threads
GF got raped, what do I do?
Hey My gf got very drunk a few nights ago. She was wasted. Usually, her and another male co-worker come home together, so she waited for him. She
Am I not worth the drive?
Hi everyone, I feel like this is a somewhat common problem, yet I still need another perspective. I have been dating my boyfriend for a year and a
Girlfriend wants to spend xmas with Ex boyfriend's family
Hi all, I am in a long distance relationship for over a year. Unfortunately, due to monetary/time issues neither of us can visit the other for the
Girlfriend texting another guy
I have come to this forum for help. Any input Is greatly appreciated. I'll try and include as much detail as I can at the moment. I've been with
Is he just telling me what I want to hear?
I've posted on here a few times regarding my relationship. I finally built up the courage to break up with him. It's now been 5 weeks, yet due to our
narcissistic ex - help/ how to get back at him
So this is a post about a narcisisstic, immature ex. Not an ex boyfriend, not an ex boy, but something in between. It was something in between
I feel like I'm the rebound girlfriend...
Iv been in a relationship for the last year and everything has been great. He's lovely and the man I want to spend the rest of my life with... Here

Featured Threads
Red Flag if the guy on first date does not pay for my food?
A guys asked me out to a dinner and picked the restaurant. Toward the end, when the waiter came to drop off the bill, the waiter leaned toward the
narcissistic ex - help/ how to get back at him
So this is a post about a narcisisstic, immature ex. Not an ex boyfriend, not an ex boy, but something in between. It was something in between
University freshers fling?
[B]Hey there! [/B] Thank you so much for reading this. I just [I]REALLY [/I]need advice as it's SERIOUSLY affecting MY LIFE
Should you call out your ex when you find out they've been cheating on you?
Just some thoughts guys. Have you been cheated on? What did you do? Did you call your ex out on the lies and deceit? Or go on with your lives?
Ex is being so angry and hateful
I was in kind of relationship for almost 6-7 months but unexpectedly we broke up. He dumped. Just on a fight. Just day after our breakup. I went back
How to avoid checking up on ex social media?
Hi friends, Iím finding that posting here and seeing so many of us in the same boat is proving rather helpful in my own journey to move on. That
Break-up
Hi, I've recently just been broken up with by my girlfriend of two years, she has stated it wasn't all my fault and she is part to blame, but would
Ask For Advice