Something memorable to get my nephew who is turning 1 in a few days

I used to be quite active on here way back when, and always found the advice to be helpful here. Last year, I became an aunt and the little one will turn one this weekend. I love him dearly and I love spending time with him whenever I can.

I don't know much about babies and kids and want to get him something memorable for his 1yr old bday. He's a sweet little one. Not sure what to get him since he has tons of clothes and toys.

What would a close relative usually get a baby that is turning 1.

Thanks!

An important book. A good copy of the bible or if your family is into such things, otherwise some really nice story books with great pictures that can be read for a long time like myths or fairy tales. Or a collection of books, like the Nutshell Library -- I still have mine from when I was very little and I am way old.

Your nephew will remember zero about his first birthday. He MIGHT remember his third birthday in the future. Whatever you give him is more for the spectacle of the parents seeing what you got than him in a way. Just ask what he needs the most and they will tell you. My niece's first birthday was terribly overbloated.

Congratulations on becoming an aunt Ren! Hope you are doing well

My godfather used to give me silver for my presents when I was growing up - quite old fashioned, and I'm not really the type to have a silver pattern and fine china now that I'm grown up, but I do enjoy having the pieces he bought for me and thinking of him when I use them.

I love the idea mentioned above of a special book; in general, I love giving books to children and think they get a lot of mileage out of them as they tend to love hearing the same stories over and over again while they are toddlers.

I know some aunts and uncles start college funds, but that seems to work best if you're planning on contributing to it every year. As a one-time gift, it might not really make sense, especially if the parents have already set something up.

Last quick idea, I know lots of parents these days are quite fond of hiring photographers to document milestones. If that's something the parents are into, perhaps you could give the family a photo session with a pro?

I do think that the greatest gift you can give your nephew is spending time with him and being involved, and I don't think you should feel any pressure to find something that will make a splash. Baby won't remember, and I'm sure the parents appreciate you being in his life much more than any present we could dream up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived