Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I love him but don't know if I see a future - advice needed

AJBlue17

Unhappy I love him but don't know if I see a future - advice needed

I've been with my partner for over 2 years (we're both 27), we live together. We laugh alot and we're both very comfortable around eachother. The only thing is, I don't know if I see a future with him. I know I love him and care about him and his happiness very much, and he's a great person - I just don't get excited about the thought of marrying him one day or having a child/children with him and those are two things I definitely want in life. We've been through our fair share of problems that's for sure (lying, angry drunk occasions, selfishness etc) - so I don't know if maybe all of those things have caught up to me and now it's making me realise I don't know what I want...of if I'm just confused.

Has anyone else been through this and what helped you gain clarity/make the right decision?

Thanks!!

rosephase
    How long have you been feeling this way?

I've been with one of my partners for 12 years. I would say I've hit about four times when I really doubted our future. Where I couldn't see it, or if I did I didn't want it. We worked through it. Talked a lot. Went therapy worked on ourselves and supported each other. That feeling isn't necessarily the end but it does signal something is going on that isn't sitting well with you.

AJBlue17
    I've been unsure for most of the 2nd year of being with him, but very much so in the last 2 months
    He's not very open to the idea of getting help together or alone to try to improve the relationship. I'm seeing a counsellor but I would have to guilt him into seeing one, and I don't want to do that.
    Are you happy after 12 years?

AJBlue17
    I've been unsure for most of the 2nd year of being with him, but very much so in the last 2 months
    He's not very open to the idea of getting help together or alone to try to improve the relationship. I'm seeing a counsellor but I would have to guilt him into seeing one, and I don't want to do that.

rosephase
    Quote Originally Posted by AJBlue17 [Register to see the link]
    I am. But that doesn't mean you will be. Also my partner was VERY willing to work on the relationship.

If you've been unsure for most of the 2nd year it honestly might be NRE (new relationship energy) or limerence wearing off. The infatuation part is over and you are finding that the connection isn't strong enough without it. That's okay. It's even normal. That doesn't mean it doens't hurt. But you shouldn't stay with someone if you lack connection once all the love drugs wear off.

AJBlue17
    Thank you for your advice. I'm glad your partner was really willing to work on things. I know mine loves me very much, but I haven't felt like a priority for a good part of the 2 years, and I really feel like the idea of getting married and starting a family should be an exciting one, but I couldn't want it less than I do right now. I just don't see it happening. I don't know if there's something wrong with me, or if he and I just aren't eachothers forever person....

rosephase
    What are the
    lying, angry drunk occasions, selfishness
    issues? That's a lot of issues to accumulate in a year.

AJBlue17
    I know We've been through quite a lot (well I have). He's done alot of changing and growing, unfortunately we had to go through some sh*t to get there. He's still not a very nice drunk person, but we rarely go out for drinks anymore. Hes a good person. I just don't feel that deep connection with him like I have with others in the past...

Krankor
    OK, so do you still want to be his girlfriend for the time, just not his wife or the mother of his children? You're still young, but you aren't a kid anymore. Time marches on, and if children and marriage are something you definitely want then you should ask yourself how long you are willing to spin your wheels in this ultimately dead end relationship. Who knows how long it will take to find someone who DOES qualify in your mind...

So, I'd ask myself that question. I'd also ask how you feel when you think about ending the relationship. Is it pretty easy to imagine life without him?

Like I said, don't spin your wheels--or his--for long if he really isn't what you are looking for. I will add this one caution though: make sure you aren't just being overly picky. You say you love him. I've seen women in their mid-thirties still single because they never found that mythical unicorn of a man they were looking for who now will scream "Yes" over the ringing of their biological alarm clocks to men who they are less into than the guys they dumped in their twenties.

AJBlue17
    I don't want a mythical unicorn. I'm just wanting to feel more certain about my relationship than what I am lately. I know that nobody is perfect, I'm just at a stage where I'm evaluating my situation because I have spent 2 years putting my whole heart into a relationship, and I don't know that I can say the same about him. Expecting the same love and respect back is not being picky in my honest opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Top Threads
that might sound a bit crazy but pls try not to judges...
that might sound a bit crazy but pls try not to judges... I needed to go to a seminar for 2 and a half weeks but i canceled it in the last moment
Becoming Dependent on Your "Significant Other"
So I have noticed something interesting about myself since being in my new relationship (a little over three months). After being so independent
Boyfriend gave tons of hickeys while I was very intoxicated
Yesterday, I hung out with my boyfriend that was only supposed to be for just a few hours and turned into a sleep-over. I got extremely wasted or
Pressure and timelines
I met my boyfriend five months ago. We have a great relationship and we both feel as though we have known each other a long time. We are both in our
Why did he slow fade on me when I'm finally giving him what he seemed to always want?
So, I'm talking about the father of my kid. We have a complicated relationship. We met when i was going through a divorce many years ago and began
Why can't women tell you when something is wrong/bothering them??
Exactly what the headline says.... When something you do bothers or upsets a woman, why to they always become passive agressive, shut down, and
I think I hate my girlfriend...
Hey folks, newbie here. Long story short with a few details: I have been with my girlfriend for 5 years. We rent a house together. We met

Featured Threads
Shes always nervous around me and idk what to do
The girl Ive been seeing for the past 4 months is still nervous around me. Weve seen each other 7 times in 4 months. So what Ive noticed is
We got back together and then...
Hey guys. Its been a few months since my last post. Id like to say hello to a few names I remember from before. Ive been reading some of everyones
Should i sell my house and live with my gf
I have been with my gf for 11 months. We are at a crossroads and i cant decide what to do as regards living with her in her home. She wants me to
Prednisone is the only thing that makes me sane
I am seeing a neurologist soon but wanted to see if there's anybody out there who has similar symptoms to me. I've tried googling it, and it seems
I think I hate my girlfriend...
Hey folks, newbie here. Long story short with a few details: I have been with my girlfriend for 5 years. We rent a house together. We met
Gift buying woes
Ive been dating this guy for about 8 months. Hes a cop so has a cop car for work, and he has two personal vehicles. Both expensive luxury cars. I
Mother moved out. Curious how to guide her in the right direction. If possible.
[B]So if I had written this post a few days ago it would go like this:[/B] My mother moved out a few weeks ago after she found a job and an
Ask For Advice