Silliest Reasons Why You Stopped Wanting To Date Someone

katrina1980

Hey guys, I've been in a bit of a funk this week, so thought I'd start a "funny" thread asking folks what were some of the silliest, stupidest reasons why you've stopped wanting to date someone.

Not wanting to hear "incompatible" or "wasn't feeling it" I am talking really stupid!

Don't hold back!

I'll start.

I remember having two dates with a guy, kind of liked him, but on our third date he wore those "lift" style shoes that added like 2-3 inches to his height, and not sure why but I found that such a turn off, I wanted to run like right there and then!

Totally shallow on my part but we can't help how we feel, what can I say? lol

Another guy, on our second date we went to the beach.

He had bought us some hero sandwiches and while he was eating his, the mayo and sauce was dripping all over his face and chest, making a real mess, he looked like my younger brother when he was 12, lol, I just could not go out with him after that!

Your turn. Again, don't hold back or be embarrassed, you will get no criticism from me.

Hey guys, I've been in a bit of a funk this week, so thought I'd start a "funny" thread asking folks what were some of the silliest, stupidest reasons why you've stopped wanting to date someone.

Not wanting to hear "incompatible" or "wasn't feeling it" I am talking really stupid!

Don't hold back!

I'll start.

I remember having two dates with a guy, kind of liked him, but on our third date he wore those "lift" style shoes that added like 2-3 inches to his height, and not sure why but I found that such a turn off, I wanted to run like right there and then!

Totally shallow on my part but we can't help how we feel, what can I say? lol

Another guy, on our second date we went to the beach.

He had bought us some hero sandwiches and while he was eating his, the mayo and sauce was dripping all over his face and chest, making a real mess, he looked like my younger brother when he was 12, lol, I just could not go out with him after that!

Your turn. Again, don't hold back or be embarrassed, you will get no criticism from me.

_____One guy kept talking about how good looking he was (no, he was not!) And kept interrupting me (needed to be the smartest one in the room)

_____One actually did a drive by his ex wife's house while we were on a date!

_____One guy took part of the tip I had left for the waitress (for my drink) as if he were making change for what his drink cost. 😨

_____and the silliest of all: he was wearing "old man" tennis shoes..."check PLEASE!"

I have a few.

-Went out on a date with a Christian, telling myself to give him a chance. He told me that he couldn't fully accept evolution. I wanted to leave immediately.

-I wanted to buy a candy bar on a date, I had the $1 to pay for it, but the guy insisted on paying because "that's what guys do" and he only had a $50. Waited forever for the poor cashier lady to make change.

-I was supposed to go on a date with a guy and he mentioned having an expensive, newish Audi car and how much he spent on his last repair but it was worth it, in his words. could never be with someone who spent so much on a car on a regular basis so I canceled the date.

-One guy told me "I want to rent a Benz for my birthday and drive it around." Ugh.

-was supposed to go on a date with one guy who said "Why would you hunt if you can just go to the grocery store and buy meat?" Ugh, get bent.

@Fudgie, I had a first date with a guy who picked me up in a Lamborghini! lol

$200,000 car and I was never so embarrassed to be seen in my life, I recall not even being able to get in and out, the seats were so low.

Found out afterwards he rented it to impress me, and it actually turned me off!

Guys are so silly sometimes.

Let's see

The guy was late to our date because his transmission failed en route. He was surprised because he thought duct tape would fix the leak.

A guy commented (on a first date) that I don't look anything like my mom.

One guys quizzed me on what the definition and significance of NPV is

One guy said his 3 main hobbies were working in Excel, building family trees, and watching documentaries

@Fudgie, I had a first date with a guy who picked me up in a Lamborghini! lol

$200,000 car and I was never so embarrassed to be seen in my life, I recall not even being able to get in and out, the seats were so low.

Found out afterwards he rented it to impress me, and it actually turned me off!

Guys are so silly sometimes.

I can't stand gaudy, flashy, impractical cars. I would be so embarrassed too!

- he went for our first kiss (maybe the third date??) and burped in the middle of it!

- he ordered plain vanilla ice cream at an awesome ice cream place known for it's variety of flavors (I don't think I actually stopped but thought it was soooo boring - huge mark against him -but later in life I understood the value of awesome vanilla ice cream)

- he asked the waiter for a knife in Spanish. Except my date spoke English and he just assumed the waiter spoke Spanish (again not the only reason but definitely noticed that one)

And I am sure in my teens/early 20s I was judgmental about things like clothing and wrote guys off based on that but no specifics come to mind!

- he went for our first kiss (maybe the third date??) and burped in the middle of it!

Batya, ew, but this made me giggle! Lol

I remember dating a guy in high school, and I'd always get turned off whenever he slicked his hair back. Way too much product.

I went out with a guy who got nervous when ordering his dinner once. Not only was he nervous, but the waiter was a bit shy, so there was a miscommunication between them and I had to pipe up and make sure they understood each other. It was interesting because he talked a good game when it was just the two of us, but when someone else entered the picture, he would become somewhat silent and awkward.

Have been turned off by guys boasting about cars, money, trips.

- one guy smelled like my grandpa . Just too weird.

- one guy thought Sara Silverman was HILARIOUS . Yes, that's it. Probably one of the most superficial things I've ever written someone off for. I just can't though!

The hoagy at the beach story reminded me of a time I spent a day with my brother and his then gf. We went to a beach and stopped along the way for snacks. She chose a big sausage. Scorching day, on the sand, tears that sucker in thirds with her bare hands. Nice woman but I couldn't think of that without laughing for ages. Of all things- a greasy sausage?!

So I'm not clear whether you want to hear stories about rejecting men we shouldn't have rejected because it was based on a silly/trivial reason and they could have been perfectly good guys/good matches? I had one like that in my early 20s -had recently broken an engagement and then met two guys who actually knew of each other but weren't friends. One was soooo cool and kind of aloof - and very handsome. The other guy was much more down to earth, not as cute (but I did find him attractive) and I wouldn't say he was "cool" but definitely a good person and very smart, great family. He was totally into me (almost in a too much too soon way) and wanted to get serious and the cool/aloof guy kept me at arm's length. If I remember it right I went on dates with both, both knew of each other, and I think the good guy finally said after about 5 or 6 dates that I had to choose. So I did - cool guy of course.

We actually ended up getting very serious and he broke my heart a few times, breaking things off -when he finally proposed years later I declined because by that point the aloofness just made me feel alone and distant. Turned out he was as aloof as he was because he was really into men. He's been happily coupled and married for about 20 years now. And the other guy met his future wife a year or so later and seemed to me like the one who got away for years after.

Is coolness/non-coolness shallow/silly? Maybe.

One asked me, as we were getting coffee on a first date, what my political party was. He almost threw a fit because I was affiliated with the "wrong" party, and his parents would never forgive him for dating me.

Later, I found out that he had been dating an acquaintance (friend of a friend) but they were on a break when he asked me out. She tearfully came to tell me that it was okay to date him. I felt so bad for her, but I also didn't have the heart to tell her that I practically RAN from that date.

Another date was a guy I went to university with. He was from another country, but his English was passable. He asked me to the campus dollar movie, and usually it was an oldy but goody movie playing, so I never checked what the movie was.

Turns out the movie was "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex" with Woody Allen. Oh geez. I was uncomfortable. Of course people got a kick out of the movie, but unfortunately my date's vocabulary knowledge was sparse when it came to sex vocab. At what turned out to be a quiet portion of the movie, my date asked me loudly (and sincerely) what the word "masturbation " meant. He really didn't know. And all I could say was "ill tell you later" as I tried to shrink into my seat.

And, I heard familiar laughter behind me- some of my dorm hall mates were a few rows behind and heard it all. They really teased me about that. And, I suspect the poor guy was mortified once he figured out what he asked me.

Let's see- my ex bf's cousin asked me out, but I declined. I really liked him, and he was a gifted musician, but it just didn't feel right. And then my ex's work colleague asked me out a few months later, knowing that his friend had broken up with me. Nice guy, but I was still processing letting go of my ex. And I told him that.

Once I went out with a friend's boyfriend's best friend. He was a star football player at a different school. He found out I was taking a class on poetry, so he wrote me a "poem"to impress me. It was really a roses are red type of poem, very infantile. It just turned me off. Maybe that made me an intellectual snob.

On our third date (I was trying to give him chances), he started talking about moving in together and buying furniture together. I was only 18. I ended it then, just couldn't get involved with that one, aND wAnted a chance to explore the world and myself before jumping into something.

About 5 years ago, another scout dad asked me out. He said his last child was an accident, and although they were not together romantically they were living under the same roof to raise their child. My answer to him- first off, although I was separated from my marriage at that time, I was still married and didn't feel right dating until the divorce was final. And 2nd, once i was divorced, I would not consider dating him unless he had her move out from his place, and only dealt with her on parenting issues.

I still run into him sometimes. Although I have been divorced for some years, I have never given him any indication that I would go out with him. I don't think his ex is living there anymore, but who knows. And besides, he puts pro-Trump posts on Facebook. Just- no...

Let's see

The guy was late to our date because his transmission failed en route. He was surprised because he thought duct tape would fix the leak.

A guy commented (on a first date) that I don't look anything like my mom.

One guys quizzed me on what the definition and significance of NPV is

One guy said his 3 main hobbies were working in Excel, building family trees, and watching documentaries

Lool, he sounds like my ex husband, minus the family tree part. My ex was an accountant, nuf said.

No dude, I am picky when it comes to appearance. Everyone can be picky, that's easy.

LOL. I know I'm just going by experience. Now if I had showed up on a second date with a cane almost every woman would have not called me back after the date. But the fact that a woman who I went out with showed up with a cane on a second date I was supposed to accept it because I am a man.

............. and you say men are shallow.

I wouldn't even imagine rejecting a girl for most of the aforementioned reasons.

Yeah I think if a woman is really attractive, men will overlook most things superficial.

Not suggesting I'm Miss America or anything, lol, but I recall early on in my dating life (I think I was 21 at the time), I was so nervous (guy was hot!), I broke out in a cold sweat before and even during the date!!

Even my face! (Oh the horror).

My date was so cool about it, he even thought it was cute! (Not the cold sweat but the fact I was so nervous).

But for me, and I think maybe most women too, wrong or right, we seek that elusive "spark" and chemistry (which goes beyond just looks) and when it's not there, we can fiind almost anything a turn off.

I mean a man wearing those "lift" style shoes? Major insecurity about his height.

THAT was the turn off, not the shoes per se (the shoes were ugly though).

Funny thing was, he wasn't even short! He was at least 6 feet without those shoes but guess he wanted to be REALLY tall. lol. I don't even like REALLY tall!! XD

Same with the guy with the Lamborghini. Come on now, renting a car like that to impress me?

What impresses me is a man being real and genuine, not the type of car he drives, let alone his need to "impress" me with it.

Even though these things may seem petty and superficial, they make a difference.

Mine were turn offs because of what they indicated. The car guy - he thought duct tape could fix a car issue? That indicates a fundamental lack of problem solving and common sense. No thanks.

Excel and family tree guy? If those are his 3 most exciting hobbies, what would a relationship be like?

And the guy who commented on my mom's appearance... well, it was an OLD so he SUPER stalked me online and was proud of it. Too weird.

Mine were turn offs because of what they indicated. The car guy - he thought duct tape could fix a car issue? That indicates a fundamental lack of problem solving and common sense. No thanks.

Yeah but you cannot deny that is was funny. You wouldn't have a hard time laughing.

Archived